Predator Calls

Sometime in the not to distant future, I'd like to invest in a predator call for foxes and feral cats.

I recently read a good article about the high success rate of a combination of a predator call with a moving decoy.

I'd like to try it out.

I have a situation where the fox whistle won't call foxes in at home because there are no rabbits here, only poultry and hares.

At the bush property it's the exact opposite. No poultry but heaps of rabbits.

So basically if I have a device that has a number of calls on it I can use whatever is appropriate for the location.

I dont want to use the downloadable ones from the Internet. I couldn't be bothered with all the technology involved.

So my question is, can anyone recommend a caller that is not too expensive and actually works?

Thanks.

Pete, I tried the button whistle a few months back when a fix came for my chooks. Nothing came in. A few people told me that the button whistle wouldn't work in this area. My neighbor up the road had some chickens taken about 2 weeks ago. No luck with the button whistle there either.

Keep trying, they work any where. If you are in a residential area try feeding him chicken necks for Coles. The foxes love them.

Cheers,

Peter

Lol, I just want the darned predator call. :) :)

Lol, I just want the darned predator call. :) :)

FG, just Google "Bucking The Odds" its a yankee site mainly dedicated to coyote hunting. They use a FOXPRO caller and MOJO CRITTER lure.

You can bury small amounts of dog food as a lolly for the fox near the chicken coup and bury the empty can as well. Do it a few times, not too shallow as you want him to work for it. A hole dug with a post hole digger about 12-18".. once he forms the habit of returning, which is probably going to be at night, you can wait it out with a torch and shotgun. The empty can is like an alarm bell.. the sound of him knocking it about to get at the dregs is the cue to hit the lights and let the fox have it with the shotgun :)

Whatever you do don't miss the shot, otherwise he won't be so gullible next time. It also pays to understand a foxes senses and how he uses them to hunt.

As for feral cats.. I shoot just as many as foxes.. probably more, mostly during the daylight and a fox whistle generally sends them running for cover. Soft squeaks sometimes work, but mostly I just look for cat sign then stalk the area. I'm told by some that Bob cat on heat e-calls work well but i don't have one of those.

do you have a iphone farmgirl?

Yep!

type in predator call into the app finding thing, its a american one but its free. the jackrabbit, cotton tail and mouse calls work. ive called in alot of foxes this year bye just plugging it into my utes sterio and playing through the speakers. you could pick up battery operated speakers for the iphone off ebay to run it through for cheap to i would think.

Thanks Tom. I'd better not put the phone with the decoy or my phone might end up with holes in it. ;)

I found something similar to what tom posted here.

Its for coyote hunting but I can't see how some of them wouldn't work. Might put them on a CD and play them through the Ute's stereo next time we are out.

"Varmint Als" website has heap of calls on it in mp format you can download different ones or some of his sequences that he has put together and play does through remote speaker/s :thumbsu:

Do you guys think that the whole "calls through the car speaker thing" actually works? Do they really sound realistic enough?

Do you guys think that the whole "calls through the car speaker thing" actually works? Do they really sound realistic enough?

Don't know, there is only one way to find out! :D

Yes they do work but don't handicap yourself by choosing the wrong type or a cheap speaker - you won't get the right sound reproduction.

Cass Creek make a couple of extension speakers and so do Foxpro :thumbsu:

No caller will work if the fox busts you. Have a look in the Fox Hunting forum if you want to learn how people are doing it.

I also noticed you rejected Pete's tried and true method of using chicken necks to lure them in.. a great idea that I'll be trying myself very soon. Then there is fangsters detailed post describing how he lures in the ferals and a lot of that could be adapted to foxes..

Let us know how the IPhone works out.. my nephew suggested that one a while back but I said if he pulls out an IPhone in the field I'd shoot it :)

I recently read a good article about the high success rate of a combination of a predator call with a moving decoy.

I' like to try it out.

Farmgirl that article might be the one I wrote in the latest Guns & Game magazine. Not easy to target a specific fox and a failed attempt goes along way to educated a smart fox. So whatever you do needs to do the busines. Creating a patten when it visits with bait sounds a solid idea then its just a mater of patients and getting it right the first time.

My thoughts on the Button whistle are that it doesn't offer the volume over long distances or windy days but certainly will work with or without rabbits in the area.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT AND WE WANT PICS WHEN YOU'VE.

I also noticed you rejected Pete's tried and true method of using chicken necks to lure them in

Where did I reject his method? I'm sure it's brilliant. I'm just looking for an excuse to buy another gadget.

Also, I was tickled to ask about the electronic method, because I read said article, which was extolling the virtues of the callers.

I have tried the button whistle till I was literally blue in the face. The foxes here don't speak button. A local bushie here also said it wouldn't work there being no rabbits in the area.

Also, while I am more than convinced of the time honoured method of luring them in with chicken necks and goodies, it can be a bit tricky to fit into a crazy lifestyle. Also, I'm a bit worried that the fox will find my continual supply of food so enticing that he'll keep coming back and what if he comes back in the middle of the night when I'm not there? I'd need a camera to monitor his comings and goings. I can't sit there 24/7. :hot: