Garmin Topo Australia Maps

assailant

well we havent had a gps thread for a while and im going to use the $400 i collected on gold coast beating brisbane the other week to buy a gps just before end of financial year..

last time i was out bush and i was getting a worried about not finding the rendezvous point i swore id get a gps before i next go out so here i am.

ive decided on the garmin gps62s, not a cheapy, but it should hopefully last me a very long time.

what i want to know is whether anyone has bought the garmin topo map? its $199 and comes pre loaded on an sd card. im not particularly interested in topographical maps per se, but i need something for out bush.

are these worth the dollars over something like shonkymaps?

The 62s can load Birdseye images (sat pics) and you can also have shonky maps (free) and the OSM routable maps (turn by turn routing, free as well). You can also load the Gov 5 meter contours and have them all loaded or just a selection at one time.

A mate uses the 60 and has the Garmin topo and the only thing I have seen that his map shows that you don't get with the above products is green shading in the areas of National Parks. There may be some other differences in urban areas.

Assilant, I just got the GPSMAP 62s as i write this post.

Purchased from Johnny Appleseed with the Garim Topo on sd card for $590 posted. Not the cheapest option around but less stuffing

around on my behalf with loading maps and such.

From what research ive done on the web of lies, the Shonky maps are really good. I may even use them at a later stage. The garmin topo has

20m contour lines and you can get a 5m contour line map but unless your a rock climber i don't think it would be necessary.

Johnny Appleseed were very helpful on the phone and didn't try to upsell me on anything.

Cheers

Ive been using Garmin topo maps for a couple of years now and they are very good. They are a lot better than the Oz topo maps and give a bit more detail than shonky maps. I only use it on my Nuvi 760 for 4WDing and its routable where most others are not.

Johnny Appleseed were very helpful on the phone and didn't try to upsell me on anything.

so i ordered a 62s last night from johnny appleseed. pay for the express freight and insurance with the intention it will dispatch friday and be here monday.

wrong.

i get home tonight and theyve emailed asking for id verification with a scanned drivers licence or utility bill to prevent credit card fraud.

fail.

ill send a scan monday and it wont be dispatched until at least monday, probably tuesday.

let the banks do their job and worry about fraud. im only purchasing a couple of hundred dollar item, not booking a 6 week t23 the taj mahal.

epic fail. wont be returning to do business there again.

:growl:

wrong.

i get home tonight and theyve emailed asking for id verification with a scanned drivers licence or utility bill to prevent credit card fraud.

fail.

ill send a scan monday and it wont be dispatched until at least monday, probably tuesday.

let the banks do their job and worry about fraud. im only purchasing a couple of hundred dollar item, not booking a 6 week t23 the taj mahal.

epic fail. wont be returning to do business there again.

:growl:

Sorry to hear that Assailant. The St Kilda store were great for me. That sh its me when you vouch for something then the next bloke

ends up getting grief.

Good luck for tomorrow.