Spotlighting Setups

Jase

A while ago I invested in a powabeam and a "support-a-light" mount that fits in the window. It works great, but I shoot as well as drive. If I need to get out of the car, the spotlight obviously moves because it's fitted into the drivers side window. I know there are roof based suction cup mounts, but it presents the same issue.

Has anyone got a non-permenant setup for spotlighting, that lets the driver get out of the car without moving the position of the spotlight? I just can't think of any way of getting it working well, because the handle has to be accessible by the driver.

Let us hear your thoughts, someone has to have come up with a brilliant idea they can share.

Jase

mate i'v just made a light set up out of a roof rack for the june long weekend. what i used was a rolla roof rack and put a arm out over the drivers door with a T handle that the light screws on to i will have to lift it up to get out of the ute when i want to get out so i have it on a hinge i'v set this up becourse i'll be driving while my son will be shooting off the back of the ute.i'm also make'n another one that you might be interested in which is pritty much the same but i'll use two roof racks and make a brace that sits around afoot off the roof so the T handle sitts level with the roof SO I'LL BEABLE TO OPEN THE DRIVERS DOOR WITH OUT MOVE'N THE SPOTLIGHT. i'll beable to use this when my son is'nt shooting off the back of the ute as it will be sitting to high off the roof and it will block alot of view for the shooter. i've got an 1989 hilux and i found the roof racks at the wreckers for $20 so buy some roof racks and have ago mate its not that hard if i can do it i think anyone could do it.

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT MATE.

Edited by wazza-hg

Jase

I had the Lightforce suction cap roof bar with the swivel handle that allowed you to get out of the door but on my roof contour the suction caps kept lifting on rough ground. I went to the support a light mount which I find really good. When you open to door swivel the light to maintain your point of aim with the light.The only alternative I use is the rifle mounted Wolfeye 260 when getting out of the car.

Regards

my support-a-light isnt high enough for my liking, spills too much light onto the bonnet and reflects like anything... the glare off the windscreen makes it near impossible to see anything :(

resorted to bribing people to stand on the back of the ute and spot for me whilst driving :thumbsd:

anyone made an extension to get the spottie to sit up higher in the air from the support-a-light?

my support-a-light isnt high enough for my liking, spills too much light onto the bonnet and reflects like anything... the glare off the windscreen makes it near impossible to see anything :(

resorted to bribing people to stand on the back of the ute and spot for me whilst driving :thumbsd:

anyone made an extension to get the spottie to sit up higher in the air from the support-a-light?

You could make something like half a sunshade and fit it to the bottom of the spotlight so you don't get any light spill from the bottom of the light

Len, 04 dual cab hilux is the car it's going on to.

Assailant, I have to agree with you. The light shining on the bonnet is bloody annoying, and there is less light that goes to the other side of the car because of the height. I seperated the cables between the handle and the light with some spade connectors. With some extension cables if you like, you'll get the length you need. The support a light has a thread tapped into the top of it if you recall. All you'd have to do is get some steel tube of the correct diameter, tap a thread into it (the same as in the top of the support-a-light) and whack that tube between the light itself and the top of the SAL. The half sunshade would certianly work to keep the light off the bonnet, but that spill is always nice to see the road when the headlights are all off.

Jase

My set-up for the cruiser, clips on and off in seconds. Solid as a rock, no light wobble at all as it's attached firmly to the roof via the gutters.

Set up on a home made 25nb pipe with over-centre carches to fix it on, the wires go to two accessopry plugs on the front of the tray so no battery clips.

Lightforce swing-up hinged brackets and handles too, and I set the height of the swing away brackets before welding them so that when your elbow is on the door sill, the handle is right there in your hand, so no fatigue after hours of use.

And, at that height, there's no need to flip the handles up to shoot.

No wasted distracting light on the bonnet either.

The driver and shooter also look, when the shooter spots something the driver doesn't, the driver swings the light round and takes over so the shot can be taken.

The rest on the drivers door has a cradle to hold his rifle too, so he only has to lift it to the shoot pos, in that case the passenger does the lighting for him.

it's a design that has ironed out all the annoying points we've had over the years, and IMO better than a hole in the roof.

IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

Bit of foam on each the end of the bar so when you flick up the lights to get out they don't boong on the roof and stress out the fillamants in the bulbs.

With two blokes and two lights, you don't miss seeing much.

And you can swing the lights to face backwards of course if you are out on the road, but it attracts a bit of attention.

Guest bigfellascott

mate i'v just made a light set up out of a roof rack for the june long weekend. what i used was a rolla roof rack and put a arm out over the drivers door with a T handle that the light screws on to i will have to lift it up to get out of the ute when i want to get out so i have it on a hinge i'v set this up becourse i'll be driving while my son will be shooting off the back of the ute.i'm also make'n another one that you might be interested in which is pritty much the same but i'll use two roof racks and make a brace that sits around afoot off the roof so the T handle sitts level with the roof SO I'LL BEABLE TO OPEN THE DRIVERS DOOR WITH OUT MOVE'N THE SPOTLIGHT. i'll beable to use this when my son is'nt shooting off the back of the ute as it will be sitting to high off the roof and it will block alot of view for the shooter. i've got an 1989 hilux and i found the roof racks at the wreckers for $20 so buy some roof racks and have ago mate its not that hard if i can do it i think anyone could do it.

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT MATE.

Hey Warren,

How about a few close up pics so we can see how it is setup? might help a few people get their's set up better.

Cheers

Scott

Guest bigfellascott

My set-up for the cruiser, clips on and off in seconds. Solid as a rock, no light wobble at all as it's attached firmly to the roof via the gutters.

Set up on a home made 25nb pipe with over-centre carches to fix it on, the wires go to two accessopry plugs on the front of the tray so no battery clips.

Lightforce swing-up hinged brackets and handles too, and I set the height of the swing away brackets before welding them so that when your elbow is on the door sill, the handle is right there in your hand, so no fatigue after hours of use.

And, at that height, there's no need to flip the handles up to shoot.

No wasted distracting light on the bonnet either.

The driver and shooter also look, when the shooter spots something the driver doesn't, the driver swings the light round and takes over so the shot can be taken.

The rest on the drivers door has a cradle to hold his rifle too, so he only has to lift it to the shoot pos, in that case the passenger does the lighting for him.

it's a design that has ironed out all the annoying points we've had over the years, and IMO better than a hole in the roof.

IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

Bit of foam on each the end of the bar so when you flick up the lights to get out they don't boong on the roof and stress out the fillamants in the bulbs.

With two blokes and two lights, you don't miss seeing much.

And you can swing the lights to face backwards of course if you are out on the road, but it attracts a bit of attention.

PERFECT! top setup mate! Do you make them for anyone? or is this just a one off?

I have seen a bungy strap fitted to the folding handles that are fitted to lights so that when you let go of the handle it folds up out of the way - maybe that will work for you

I might make myself one of them fangster thanks for posting, how do I go about it if I don't have roof racks? Modified g clamp?

Does it look up and down or just left and right?

hi fella's i havn't made anything but have had a set up which i bought years ago to fit a spotlight handle which is mounted on the door which is easly removed when not needed and can be used on either side quiet simple i paid about from memory $110 at a gun shop hope it helps, i just sold it as i no longer needed it.

post-16088-199094_thumb.jpg

Hey Warren,

How about a few close up pics so we can see how it is setup? might help a few people get their's set up better.

Cheers

Scott

MATE I TRIED TO BUT I'M NOT HAVE'N ANY LUCK I CANT LOAD ANY PHOTOS AT ALL WITH PHOTO BUCKET.