Cold Weather Clothing

Hi guys whats the bes clothing for Cold weather gear?

I have thermals but no really good thick winter jacket etc. What types of Jackets + thermals do you guys recomend? I purchased a russian trappers head gear with face mask for really cold weather to cover the face and mouth and ears etc.

Are there any type of materials recommended for pants or jackets etc?

I suppose it depends on how cold you it will be when you are hunting.Stoney Creek have a Sambar Jacket,that seems to be a little to warm for the Victorian bush,while there Sika Jacket would be more suitable.Ridgleline have a good range of cold weather gear,and it's hard to go past the polar fleece hunting packages they offer.If you are intending to wear thermals though,then you won't need anything to heavy.In the Wonnangatta we had -4c mornings.With thermals top and bottoms,I was able to stay warm enough wearing Stoney Creek micro tough pants and a ridgleline top,with a SamHuntVic blaze jacket on top.It was my feet that were feeling the cold,even though I was wearing explorer socks,the thermal rating of my boots wasn't enough to keep out the cold.

I can't give specific brand advice but can suggest you look at a layered clothing system. After years of Day hunting the Northern New England I ended up cutting back on the bulk of my warm clothing.

A few years back while hunting the Northern New England in August we woke to a brisk -14 and all I wore was a Good Leather Boots, wool socks, Tshirt, regular Auscam camo gear and an lightly quilted Auscam vest, a bennie under a Cap and gloves. Yes I was still cold but not uncomfortably so. Within 10 minutes of leaving camp and starting too climb a challenging hill I'd heated up to the point I needed to open the vest, another 10 minutes I'd removed it and the Bennie, the gloves followed. I had room in my combo hydration / small day pack to pack these small layered items but little else

Mates wore thermal under garments under there Auscam gear, Balaclava's, Gloves and had heavy Jackets. In the end their Jackets became cumbersome as they had to tie them around their waist's as they would not pack into their hydration / day packs.

In my view Layered clothing systems are the go but you must bare in mind packing them about for the remainder of the hunt when you and the rest of the Day warms up. It will boil down to whats best suited to the area and duration of your Hike / Hunt.

regards Jacko

I just got back from Grant (not too far away from Wonnangatta) and went in just auscam gear. Took my thermals in my pack for the "just in case" situation, but I only put them on just before I went to bed.

Layers are always best and I'd highly recommend natural fibre products like cotton and wool. They are heavier then synthetics, but they are safer around camp fires and wool in particular will keep you warm even when wet (once the water warms up a bit that is, no good sleeping in a running stream).

Layers are always best and I'd highly recommend natural fibre products like cotton and wool. They are heavier then synthetics, but they are safer around camp fires and wool in particular will keep you warm even when wet (once the water warms up a bit that is, no good sleeping in a running stream).

Really I think the answer depends on here and when and how active the hunt is going to be. I always dress in 3 layers for the high-country, my thermal underwaer and my top is always pretty much the same and I vary the middle layer depending on conditions.

Personally I like my old army wool trousers on my legs at all times and I make sure my day pack is big enough to carry spares.

Long-john top & bottom ( in my pack in summer as emergency clothing )

Wool trousers boots and gaiters in winter

Cotton windproof jacket and light weight fleece top and if it is really old Army woolen jumper as well, peaked cap plus beanie, gloves and mittens & balaclava in the pack

Edited by Moondog55

What do you guys wear when standing on the back of a ute while spotlighting? Much colder than walking, as minimal activity and added speed through the air.

In western Qld in July (going again this year) I've had 7 layers including heavy green army jumper and an old down jacket , balaclava, hoodie and beanie

and still froze my ### off.

I hunt in the snow in NZ in the south island where it gets very cold; for hunting in cold weather layering is the go

I use and highly recommend the following - but it also depends on how much you feel the cold

Good quality thermals in both long and short

Ridgeline Hunters Pack

http://www.ridgeline...ge=hunters-pack

and

Ridgeline Top to Toe pack - the socks that are included are not as good as a pair of high wool content Holeproof Explorers

http://www.ridgeline...ino-eco-sublink

Their Stalker pants are very good

http://www.ridgeline...ge=stalker-pant

For a jacket work out what you want and then choose

http://www.ridgeline...age=wet-weather

I also recommend a microfleece balaclava

Thnaks for all the tips guys. Seens layering is the best form of warmth. I might get some Fleece pants and just layer up on shirts and jackets. ITs more for night time and spotlighting when your not moving much and get cold.

Bugger standing on the back of the ute in winter.... way to cold lol