80 Channel Uhf Cb Class Licence Now In Force

Well, the ACMA has put in force the new UHF CB class licence for 80 channels. It became active on the 27th of May just a couple of days ago.

If you have a programmable radio, you can now program it or take it to your local dealer if you don't have the cable and "Dealers Programming Software".

If you've buying a radio, be warned that stores will be permitted to sell the older and INCOMPATIBLE radios for 18 months to "clear remaining stock".

The new channels are 12.5khz in size, compared to the old 25khz channels.

Most people won't know about this and of those who do know many won't care, so there's no big rush. But as I have dual radios in my car I'll be updating my programmable radio for 80 channels and keeping the non-programmable for compatibility reasons (plus it's dual-band UHF/27Mhz).

This might explain the situation a bit more, same source as FDJ's post by the look of it.

"Owners of UHF CB radios now have access to more channels in the 400 MHz band, following a comprehensive three-year ACMA review, and subsequent release of its timeframes and plans to restructure the band.

Despite some incorrect media reports that users will have less radiofrequency spectrum as a result of the changes to the band, the ACMA’s extensive consultation process means the UHF CB band has been restructured into 80 individual 12.5 kHz-wide channels. This is changed from the existing 40 individual 25 kHz-wide channels.

This restructure means the following changes to channelling arrangements in the UHF citizen band:

•the UHF Citizen Band Radio Service will be extended upwards by 6.25 kHz to accommodate an additional 12.5 kHz channel

•all voice channels will transition to 12.5 kHz bandwidth

•existing repeater channels will transition to 12.5 kHz bandwidth, with new repeater channels created in the space between the existing channels.

There is a planned phase-in period for the new arrangements. Retailers will be able to supply 25 kHz equipment for approximately 18 months to clear existing stock, while radio owners will be able to keep using their current 25 kHz radios for six years.

The previous technical standard, which specified the technical performance limits and test methods for 25 kHz equipment, has been revised to accommodate the new channel arrangements. Standard AS/NZS 4365:2011 was published in January 2011.

On 26 May 2011 the revised standard was incorporated into the ACMA’s equipment regulations, and the Radiocommunications (Citizen Band Radio Stations) Class Licence 2002 was updated to reflect the new channel arrangements.

The consultation process on the changes to the class licence closed on 4 March 2011.

The ACMA has no plans to return to a system of individual CB operating licences, as claimed in some reports.

Further information on the changes to UHF CB is available on the ACMA website"

Found this discussion paper online - some simple terminology would help dills like me to understand what the heck they talk about.

I "think" the old 40 channel UHF will still work onto repeaters, but might have some loss of voice clarity.....anyone care to explain better Pls.

http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets/main/lib312042/ifc03-2011_proposed_variations-radcomms_cb_class_licence_2002-discussion_paper.pdf

Basically, they are cutting the channels in half so we get twice as many.

Think of it like a road. The road is 2.5 meters wide. The car is 2.5 meters wide and the road has 40 lanes.

Because there is so much traffic they need more lanes, but there's buildings on both sides so they can't build more lanes. What they are doing is forcing everyone to drive the new compact cars, which are only 1.25 meters wide so they can repaint the lines and give us 80 lanes. 

The long and short of it is this the new radios should still be able to be hear the old radios, BUT you will have to turn the volume up loud and you may get interference from other new radios using the new channels.

The old radios will get a signal from the new radios, but good luck understanding anything that's said.

When the repeater towers get swapped over, the older radios technically should stop working on them because the repeater will only be receiving half of the old radios signal.

Remember, we are LICENSED to use these radios under the class license. Meaning we must follow the terms of the license and after 2016 the old radios must not be used.

Also, just got off the phone to Icom (only sent an email an hour or so ago), they are handing out new software to the dealers in the next few days to program IC-41S hand helds for 80 channels. The IC-400Pro software can already program them.

I'll be trying to get my hands on the software for "personal" use along with a cable for the IC-400Pro. I already have the cable for the IC-41S.

Im only just starting to think about a CB radio and am totally noob like in my (lack of) knowledge.

Where would i find some good info? Mainly the very basics. Web site? books?

Also what is involved in obtaining a licence? And where from.

See I told you I was a NOOB with this stuff.. lol

Goto your local store, insist on a 80 channel radio, hand over money.

CB or Civilian Band radio works on a class license. Meaning anybody who owns a radio and follows the rules of the license can use it without actually "getting" a license.

As for how to use it, turn it on and select a channel.

Channel selection works like this.

Channel 1 thru to 8 are repeater outputs and 31 thru to 38 are the corresponding repeater inputs.Don't use them unless you need to use the repeater to reach who ever you are talking to.

Channel 11 is the calling channel. You are meant to make initial contact here and then goto a new channel to talk.

Channel 5 and it's repeater input channel 35 are emergency channels only. These ARE monitored by a volunteer group in major areas, but rural coverage of their monitoring service is not that good.

Then there's the unofficial channels, ch10 is the 4x4 / hunting channel. ch18 are grey nomads (those who spend a lot of time in there camper or caravan), ch 40 is the main road or truckies channel. Use near a city is not recommended if kids are in the car, you'll learn some new language on this channel!!!

Really, there's not much to know, get a cheap radio and start talking. Keep in mind that the new radios won't work well with the current/old radios so right now is the wrong time to buy a new radio AND learn how to use it. I'm temped to say buy a cheap second hand one (Ask Rob for his) and learn all about it. Then buy a new one.

Chers mate. very helpfull and reassuring.

I did know about ch11 but that was it. lol. Glad to hear its not an actual pay for licence.

I might be buying my old mans Landrover later this year and will be putting a radio in it. so that leaves me some time to look around for an el cheapo or 2nd handy.

I have an old one here. It does have one problem. You need to put into a special mode for it to activate the speakers every time you turn the power on. Basically, you turn it on and press a button on the microphone, if the green light turns on you're good. If not, press the button again. Otherwise it works fine.

I'm not using it because I have two radios in the car (not including the hand-held).

I was going to sell it to a mate for $50, but he ended up buying a new one cheap.

If you are only looking for a uhf to talk to mates while out 4wd'ing or hunting then just go with a cheaper 40 channel. I guarantee thousands in regional areas won't ever change em till their old ones are shagged

After reading some comments re the differance with 40 channel to 80 channels is simple.

As stated they just cut each channel in half. So instead of a 25kc width each now is 12.5kc wide.Now the other side of the story and this is simple to understand.Its called " DEVIATION ". What this means or is that because UHF CB is FM ( frequency modulation ) when you speak into the mike your signal is about 12.5kc wide from the centre frequency of the channel. So just say that your using channel 5. Half you signal is 6.25 below and the other half is above it!

Now that they have halved all the channels to make more ( GOOD ON THE ACMA ) just like everything else they have no idear!!!!!!

The older radios will get interference from the newer radios mostly when on the repeaters when they come in. Or if in a group and some have the new radios and slip between the normal channel to have a secret chat.

I hope this explains it a little better to all.

In the big picture it doesn't make much differance if you use the radios on a hunt and you stay of the repeaters or the group your with stay on the same channel.

But because the deviation on the older radios is wider than the new you will sound overdriven somewhat. Abit like yelling into the mike. Try this if it happens you may laugh but it works. Turn the mike around and talk to the back of it it will mellow it out some and the new radios will be able to understand you better!!!!!

The new radios will sound very thin in sound and nothing you do can make it better other than buy a 80 channel radio. Hope this makes senses to you and I have explained it well enough.

Hoss

Fireman_DJ: when you talk about programmable radios... I have a uniden UH-500SX. I can program channels 41 to 80 for specific frequencies. I've programmed the local police channel for when I get bored but obviously can't transmit on it. Is that a limitation of the frequency being outside normal public uhf bands? If I program these new frequencies into the radio do you think I would be able to transmit?

Cheers,

Jase

Jesus mate, I wouldn't even want to transmit on their frequency, if they found you they'd rip your nuts off. They hate it enough that we can listen

I meant could I transmit on the new 40 channels, not the police one. Didn't explain that very well. sorry.

Victoria police have gone to some sort of closed digital system that, from what I've read, can't be listened in on. Why haven't other states done this, is it just cost?

Jase

Sorry Jase, I misunderstood what you meant. You can listen in still to the new police band but you need to know the exact frequency and have a device capable of getting that band. Uniden have a few that do it.... or there is an iphone/android ap that allows you to stream it

It all comes down to screwing the public for more money to buy new unnecessary products . You have to because they shut down the old ones. They shut down a perfectly good EPIRB system and now UHF radios.

So that's about $650 worth of my gear in the garbage bin . This is what happens when criminals get into Government.

What about us people who have a lot of UHF's. We have one in every vehical and bike as well as 5 hand helds. Total = 23. Do we have to rid of all these to be able to hear people who get these new 80 ch units. This is the first I have heard about it.

I meant could I transmit on the new 40 channels, not the police one. Didn't explain that very well. sorry.

Victoria police have gone to some sort of closed digital system that, from what I've read, can't be listened in on. Why haven't other states done this, is it just cost?

Jase

Only the city cops that use UHF and encrypted comms.. country police use VHF and it's not scrambled.

What about us people who have a lot of UHF's. We have one in every vehical and bike as well as 5 hand helds. Total = 23. Do we have to rid of all these to be able to hear people who get these new 80 ch units. This is the first I have heard about it.

Apparently there is a 6 year phase in period, so we can keep using the old 40 channel units for 6 more years.