All Equip Needed

well it depends where and when you are going, for how long, and what you plan on hunting.

but i'll start the list, im sure others will expand on it:

first aid kit

drinking water (and maybe some extra for washing hands, etc)

torch + spare battery.

compass+map or gps +spare battery

knife

warm jacket

food or snack

so if you are going miles out on your own in the middle of no-where, maybe a PLB too... they are pretty cheap now, i saw the GME GPS model MT410G for $424 delivered...

Clothing for the climate. If winter dress warm but be mindful of sweating to much when walking round. I suggest layers. Also try and make the clothing fleece as that will aid significantly in stalking

Camo is pretty vital for a bowhunter, but make sure the practical and comfort side is cover first. To be honest if your new, no amount of kit will ever make you a better hunter or increase your chances.

I'd suggest you get down to a disposal store to start off with. Get a set of aus army cams. slacks, shirt and maybe a jumper. then if you want to complete the set get a bucket hat or bennie depending on the season, light camo gloves that allow you to work your bow and equipment without hassle. if your really keen get a camo scarf or mesh (even improvise at home) to cover your face for that final stalk.

Well theres clothing but this doesn't rank in comparison to what ALf recommended. everything there is essential, bar maybe the PLB as not everyone can afford them.

Build all your essentials up in a belt/bumbag/ or pack set up. I whack my knife, water bottle and ammo on my belt and have a bumbag as well with food(snack or musli bar), compass, map, bandage, lighter/flint, water purification tabs, two meat hooks, a bit of chord and some plastic bags.

Let me lay doen TWO ESSENTAILS which some how i've missed. GOOD FOOTWEAR and BINOCULARS! I would sooner hunt nude and without a rifle/bow than leave home without these.

Can I suggest that you think of fancy equipment later, get a good set of boots, binos and some cheep cams. get a back pack put some food and water in there. Take a good map of the area and tell someone where your going and when you'll be back.

Just hike the hills/forests/paddocks of wherever u hunt be quite about it, hunt into the wind, and use your binos heaps! Nothing guarentees you that "first Kill" unless you put in those hard yards first.

Also if using a bow practice with it allot before hand, and see if you can take someone experienced out into the hills.

Hope this helps sorry for rambling

small, but not impossible... ;) have a look at wot some target archers can do with their $5000 target bows

you would think rabbit and foxes would be the easiest to come by

dont go a kangaroo, the local rag took pics of a living roo with an arrow sticking out of it - some inexperienced fella thought he'd have a crack at one, last thing we need is laws to crack down on bows too

EDIT - I remember when i was starting to get into it beyond animal targets at the local club, i had to gain a Bowhunter Proficiency Certificate, 10 targets, 10 shots, had to hit inside the target area (heart, lung, vitals area)

Edited by crunchy

you would think rabbit and foxes would be the easiest to come by

dont go a kangaroo, the local rag took pics of a living roo with an arrow sticking out of it - some inexperienced fella thought he'd have a crack at one, last thing we need is laws to crack down on bows too

EDIT - I remember when i was starting to get into it beyond animal targets at the local club, i had to gain a Bowhunter Proficiency Certificate, 10 targets, 10 shots, had to hit inside the target area (heart, lung, vitals area)

Not just that it looks bad, its illegal and people are prosecuted for it. .223 and above is the law in most mainland states. Tassie allows shotguns

No native species are allowed to be bow hunted.

I would suggest that Goats are a great game to get stated on for bowhunting. Rabbits too absolutely, just talk to your local archery shop dude about the right arrow tips for hunting small game.

What state are you in mate (I mean dude who started this thread)

Practice!!!

No use going after rabbits and not being able to hit anything.

If your not confident of a chest or head shot then don't take the shot or you will lose alot of money in arrows.

For just a morning or arvo Hunt it's simple.

Water snack bars camera phone knife hand wipes (KFC)

Poo tickets and what ever else you think you need

If it's a weekend or a few days then there is alot more you have to think about including survival kit when going to remoat places.

In my kit I have almost everything that I don't need, but do want.

• Roll of toilet paper in a plastic bag (good for fire lighting, marking position with biodegradable product and can be used for wiping your backside if you really need to)
  • Folding Shovel/Pick/Saw (Good for digging holes to bury the above waste in, dig water holes in "dry" creeks, can cut wood (slowly) if needed)
  • First aid gear (Gloves, band-aids, Steri-strips, a couple of triangular bandages, a couple crepe roller bandages and an elastic bandage and thermal blanket)
  • Navigation Equipment (Paper maps, compass, pace counter, pencil and GPS with spare batteries)
  • Energy food (Skittles, snack bars)
  • Water (2 x 1lt containers, water purification tablets, two stainless steel cups that can be used to boil water if needed)
  • Fire lighting equipment (Flint and striker, matches and cigarette lighter)
  • Knifes (Fixed blade survival knife and a Leatherman Multi-tool)
  • Rope/Paracord (The stuff of a 1000 uses. Use it to type up a shelter, secure broken strap, rappel a short distance if really needed)
  • Poncho (Can be used as a poncho over all my gear or turned into an emergency shelter)

Depending on the time and conditions, I also carry two touches (one headlamp, one hand held) with spare batteries and extra clothing in the form of thermal undergarments (top and bottom, they are very thin so pack up tight but add much needed warmth when required).

That's all I can think of right now. Is it too much gear? I think not. I hunt alone in remote areas and need to carry "everything" I might need. I'd rather have too much gear then not enough if worst comes to worst.

Also the most important thing I take with me, is my knowledge and skills. There's no point taking a flint and striker unless I can use it. So at the camp site with all my gear (including chainsaw, fuel, paper etc) I use a knife and the flint/striker only to light my fire. It does take longer with a lot more effort. But at least I know how to do it.

Same goes for first aid, navigation etc.

Zip Ties comein handy too

There are a couple of things i have that i see isnt mentioned. Or i missed.

Space blanket and space bag i carry both.

I dont carry much but what i do carry does many things.

Para cord is just one of them. Break it down into many things.

A recent addition is a Styptic pencil.

Look it up and it will explain its self. Weight = 5 gram tube. Does many things.

I dont cart a shovel because the space blanket gives me clean water if i need it.

Bush craft = Where there are green leaves there is water for the taking.

As for cleaning water my fire does that if need be. Charcoal and heat.

I dont hunt in deserts.

It all boils down to where you hunt, how long you will be hunting, and what sort of country it is and the climate.

Example = A space blanket can gather water keep you warm and provide shelter as well as reflect sunlight upwards. As in distress signal.

Can also be a bucket or a flotation device, and many other things.

Total weight of a space blanket? no idea its in grams.

Get my drift mate?

Your doing the right thing ask questions these answers will not only help you they may help or save others.

We are all guilty of carting far to much crap and we do it just in case.

Not always a bad thing you never know when you might need it.

But as you get older not always wiser you learn that you dont need it all because its bloody heavy and never gets used.

Just one thing, always carry a film container with cotton wool soaked in kero and diesel packed in tight.

That small container is you last resort to getting a fire going when all else fails.

On top of that i carry 4 hexi tabs. Just in case and a flint. Yes i have storm proof matches army issue but i trust the flint.

Cold will kill you slowly painlessly but it will kill you.

I also have 6 duva lackies, they are what you can use on a tarp of space blanket to tie it off to tree when no holes or eyelets exist. Weight maybe 5 grams.

But you can do the same thing with a round stone and para cord, but a duva lackie locks in and cant move. Stones can cut through and do move. Use round stones no edges.

Some of my ways are a bit different to others because i grew up with the Brothers they taught me some of the skills.

keep asking questions many will gain from it.

All the best.