What Uhf Handheld?

Manny82

Hi there!

I was looking into getting a new UHF handheld radio. I got some older once but they got just 8 channels. I used them for motorbiking back home. I googled and found everything between 50 and $300, 40 to 77 channels. Are some of you using any? I mostly want to have it in case of an emergency and the mobile is out of network.

We use GME TX6200's here when we are mustering and working. Great handhelds. Not one of those cheaper ones but you get what you pay for. that's what I have found anyway. Another one is called Icom IC-40. Think there is new models of both these out now.

I have a 40 channel one of these ( the 40 channel can be reprogrammed to 80 channel ) it is a top quality radio made to a exceptionally hard standard. I was originally looking at an Icom 41s but the shop steered me to the Vertex made by ( Yaesu ) because they said they were built slightly better and were the better radio - nothing wrong with the Icom though

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=147&products_id=2717

I fitted one of these mikes to it

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=147&products_id=1825

I also fitted a longer aerial

Arguably the best handheld in my opinion

I have a GME TX630 and a Uniden UH065SX. They both do the job, however in my opinion the GME works a bit better in terms of voice clarity and receiving signal.

Look out for 40 channels because in a few years they will be illegal!

They just opened up the channels from 40 to 80. However instead of ADDDING 40 channels, the cut the current 40 channels in half. This means the old radios CAN'T correctly talk to the new radios and vise versa.

I went for the Icom 41S because it mates up with the IC-400Pro that I have in the car. I've also used both Vertex Standards and Icom for aircraft comm's. I bought an Icom for airband as well. Nuff said there!

One thing to note, the IC-41S is not a "CB", they call it a "commercial CB". A little bit of hype, but it really is a 128 channel commercial radio programmed to do 40 (or 80) CB channels. You can program the rest in as receive only or take it to your local dealer and have it programmed to transmit on commercial channels (assuming you are licensed to use them).

5watts CB and 4watts commercial. The IC-400Pro in my car is programmed to transmit 25watts if I need to. Note the 5watts is the legal max and what I normally use., but in case of emergency ANYTHING is permitted to gain the attention of rescuers.

My vote, Icom IC-41S. I have one and want more. Yes they cost more, but they are worth it. Maybe for now buy a cheap Chinese radio in 40 channels, then save up for the Icom. Keeping in mind, that in a few years time, 40 channels will be outlawed, but right this minute not everyone has 80 channel radios.

Just a quick question. Why will they outlaw 40 channel UHF's. My understanding was that they will only be able to be used on every 2nd channel on the new models. I can't see how they can outlaw 1000's of uhf's and make every one buy new ones. Just us for example, we will have to buy 22 new uhf's.

Because the two radios will interfere with each other.

The old 40 channels are 25khz wide. The new 80 channels are 12.5khz wide with the new 40 mixed in.

So, old radio transmitting on old channel 1 will transmit on the new channel 1 AND the new channel 41 at the SAME TIME.

It's really stupid because we all know even after the cut off date not everyone will upgrade their radios (or even know about the new channels) and there will be issues because of it. But it's what the ACMA have done and now we have to live with it.

I'm using Uniden UH076SX 5W. Hand probably 12 months now and have had no problems wiht. Good in the bush compared to some of the cheaper ones out there. Shop around and you'll find something you like

post-8943-0-05715600-1313231908_thumb.jpg

I run a GME as a base station in the van with a magnetic base antenna while in camp.

Normal stuff for on the road.

And i have 2 x 5 watt hand helds. Not GMEs, mine out range the GME.

Im not about to either hand them in or replace them.

After all the idea is all about contact between a couple of people and base.

As long as they work im happy.

They are going to be busy going out and making people hand in all their old uhf's. I won't be handing in mine until they replace them.

wouldn't they just fine you for operating an illegal transmitting device?

+1 on the GME.

We have a base unit in the shack and two hand held units. They have great clarity and are happily used by us and the kids.

After 2016, yes that "COULD" fine you. IF they had enforcement officers checking anything. But if you know the current situation near major cities then you'll know that nobody is enforcing anything. The best you'll get is HAM operators triangulating rouge UHF operators and reporting them or knocking on their door and saying "please pretty please stop".

The reason CB (both 27Mhz and UHF) are done with a class licence and not making every individual user pay for a licence. They tried that and couldn't enforce it!!! Everybody just bought a radio and started using it without any regard to the law. So the ACMA simply made what everyone was doing legal by scrapping the individual licensing!

What someone else suggested and is a really good idea. They should have swapped over to digital radios. No channels like a normal radio, you dial up a "chat room" as and when required. No way for the old and new radios to be used at all and the benefits of the new radios would far out weight the cost of upgrading.

Food for thought Fireman_DJ, so will the new channel radios be easier to monitor, trace and enforce then.Do you think they will introduce licencing to operate on the new channels. I thought they would just make it mandatory to use digital radio's in the future as they would be easily controlled.

Digital radios would be easier to manage as you could have licence certificates that expire or can be cancelled.

The ACMA however simply decided to cut the bandwidth in half and double the channels.

Otherwise nothing has changed. You will still have idiots causing problems, people who don't know better causing problems and worse, now two different types of radio trying to use the same frequencies and not being 100% compatible.

Bear with it for now, the stores will still be selling old stock of 40ch radios and for about 4-5 years nothing but 80ch radios will be sold. So as radios break people will be forced to upgrade. Peer pressure will make others upgrade etc.