Lightforce Hid Conversion

Nackers

Hey there guys and gals,

I'm lookin' at getting a DIY HID kit for my Lightforce 240 handheld off of ebay.

Has anyone on here done this? If so, where on earth did you fit the ballast so it wasn't in the way and does the red filter still work for foxes with the HID globe?

Kind of new to HID, so any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Shadow

Can't help with the ballast because mine is roof mounted, but the red filter still does the trick.

Thanks Sneaky. Does the HID make a noticeable difference in light output? Also where did you get your kit from?

I should have mentioned that the light is used with the PowaBeam window mount and connected to the dual battery via alligator clips.

Edited by ShadowAssassin

There is a kit just for the LightForce spotties, the ballast mounts on the back of the spotlight (directly opposite the centre of the beam). This only works for the newer lights that have the switch on the handle. It's a all included kit with instructions. At the end of the day the spotlight looks almost un-modified, except for the ballast hanging out the back of it. And that looks like it's meant to be there.

There is a kit just for the LightForce spotties, the ballast mounts on the back of the spotlight (directly opposite the centre of the beam). This only works for the newer lights that have the switch on the handle. It's a all included kit with instructions. At the end of the day the spotlight looks almost un-modified, except for the ballast hanging out the back of it. And that looks like it's meant to be there.

Is that kit made by LightForce?

Mate I got this kit:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120489692979&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

I also had to get a bulb adaptor, not sure where that came from, think it was about another $30 or so.

Do a search on here for a thread by Epitome, that's where I started.

Piece of cake to fit.

As to the question does it make a difference?

DOES IT!!!! Once you go HID you'll never go back.

The genuine kit that looks all snazzy is pretty sweet, but it costs an arm and a leg.

Mate I got this kit:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120489692979&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

I also had to get a bulb adaptor, not sure where that came from, think it was about another $30 or so.

Do a search on here for a thread by Epitome, that's where I started.

Piece of cake to fit.

As to the question does it make a difference?

DOES IT!!!! Once you go HID you'll never go back.

The genuine kit that looks all snazzy is pretty sweet, but it costs an arm and a leg.

Thanks, I'll do the search.

Out of curiosity, where did you mount your ballast?

Edited by ShadowAssassin

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lightforce-Handheld-ML240-55W-HID-Converted-Spotlight-/320691692842?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aaab6e52a

This is the HID kit already mounted onto the spotlight. I couldn't find the conversion kit itself however.

But as you can see, the ballast is a round unit mounted on the end of it. The weight back their should help balance out the weight of the lens and reflector (not that it weights much anyway).

Not made by LightForce, but it is designed specifically for them.

Hey there guys and gals,

I'm lookin' at getting a DIY HID kit for my Lightforce 240 handheld off of ebay.

Has anyone on here done this? If so, where on earth did you fit the ballast so it wasn't in the way and does the red filter still work for foxes with the HID globe?

Kind of new to HID, so any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Shadow

Mate Ive got the 170mm Hand held striker HID lightforce. Fickin amazing light output from those things... Let us know how the 240mm goes as I bet it would kick butt on the 170. These HID light are crazy!

The red filters will diminish light that's for sure because that's what red filters do.

Thanks, I'll do the search.

Out of curiosity, where did you mount your ballast?

Mate mines through the roof, the ballast is sitting in the roof console, just a couple of wires running up the handle ond into the back of the light.