Whats A Good Gps To Buy

JG.270

G'day all im buying a bit of gear to better equip myself for stalking deer and have been looking at handheld GPS's

but im unsure as to whats good and whats not,i dont want to skimp on one as i know how handy they are to have so im prepared to spend a bit,cheers Josh.

I use a garmin 62s

Yeah anything garmins good my mate uses the 72H waterproof ect lots and lots of functions! I use the garmin etrex great little unit very simple to use nice and small to carry holds 500 waypoints!

I did some reasearch when I was looking for one

and the one that stood out was the Garmin 60CSX really good antena for thick cover etc.

plug into the PC

and also has a micro SD card to put your maps on.

they arnt the newest out there even when i bought it but i like it.

Garmin have just released a new range of Etrex. I bought one a couple of days ago, has 1.7gb internal memory plus a micro sd card slot. Also has updated antenna / receiver circuitry. With the usb slot it plugs into your pc and you can load custom maps and Garmin birds eye($40), which is pretty much google earth, which overlays your topo maps while out in the field. It's in colour and all this for $227!

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/etrex-20/

Edited by Thunderstick

The new etrex are a great piece of kit at a great price.

The etrex 30 gives you the features from the more expensive units for just over $300. I have a 62s and love it but if I was looking for a gps now I would go the etrex 30. Then again I might be tempted to have a touch screen and go an Oregon 450t (but price would probably help me resist)

I did some reasearch when I was looking for one

and the one that stood out was the Garmin 60CSX really good antena for thick cover etc.

plug into the PC

and also has a micro SD card to put your maps on.

they arnt the newest out there even when i bought it but i like it.

+1 or the old super rugged garmin 60. CSX is not much more in price from memory

+1 or the old super rugged garmin 60. CSX is not much more in price from memory

Im still working out how to use it :lol:

the mapsource program cracked the sads and wont re install on the pc.

and I think I need to re cal the compass. the last two trips its been showing the wrong way on the pointer??

you had any issues like this??

the trails are all working and they go in the right direction when im walking but the arow faces backwards and doesnt really turn like it used to.

Ahh ok i thoughy. Had to put a compass next to itor somthng

Ill have a look tonight

Another thing you need to be aware of is when you press the track back ( back track) feature you need to make sure you have not walked back any distance along your return route because what happens is the track back will steer you back to that last point you were when you turned around and changed direction from the heading out course and from that waypoint steer you on the back track . What this does is confuse you into thinking that the GPS is pointing you in the wrong direction , well it is but it will correct once you have moved enough toward the place you turned around . If you just keep walking in the direction you know is good it will eventually correct itself and point to the next waypoint in the back track route. A GPS can not correct a course unless it travels a distance that is outside the circle of error of any particular coordinate fix position. It varies from a few meters to as many as 100 meters in bad times when satellites are few and in bad geometry. This is not related to selective availability which has been turned off. When birds have good geometry , that is several birds nicely spaced overhead a fix is more accurate .

Edited by Happy Jack

Mate the garmin Montanna is waterproof and has a lithium battery in it but if that goes flat you can pull it out and put in some normal aa batteries.It has the Aus and NZ toppo map on it as well as the micro sd card slot for extra maps. When you are done come home and plug it into your computer and look at where you have been.( I use basecamp free download from garmin)You can use it for the street nav as well.Heaps of other functions you may or may not use.

Jimmey

I've got the Garmin Map60csx too - fantastic bit of kit.

Especially when you match it up with Shonky maps. Full Aus topo maps for free - the Garmin maps are about $200 for the same. Have never been let down by the combination.

Well, except for when my last one fell off my hip somewhere in Eildon...but that's hardly the GPS's fault...

Well, except for when my last one fell off my hip somewhere in Eildon...but that's hardly the GPS's fault...

That sucks

My GPS sits in a pouch on the back of the right hip belt on my pack. It has a lanyard cord attached that is looped to the bottom of the right shoulder strap. I can pull it out and look at it any time and push it and the cord in the pouch when I am done and I know 100% I can't lose it if it falls out of the pouch.

Magellan make very good units - but their aftersales service is so bad that I would not recomend them - they do not carry anything in they way of software etc for their superceded models anymore and trying to get a unit serviced is near on impossible. :thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd:

That sucks

My GPS sits in a pouch on the back of the right hip belt on my pack. It has a lanyard cord attached that is looped to the bottom of the right shoulder strap. I can pull it out and look at it any time and push it and the cord in the pouch when I am done and I know 100% I can't lose it if it falls out of the pouch.

So is mine. The new one that is...

Magellan make very good units - but their aftersales service is so bad that I would not recomend them - they do not carry anything in they way of software etc for their superceded models anymore and trying to get a unit serviced is near on impossible. :thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd:

I had the same issues so I went to a garmin