cant comment on the leupolds other than to say that all of their binos are now made in asia, the gloden ring models are still made in usa, but i couldnt find any so maby they are discontinued?

i am looking at the steiners they are german and i think they look the goods hard to tell tho when you cant see through a pair.

greg

I've been tyre kicking bino's on the net for a while and it really does become a confusing subject. As Greg say's the unfortunate thing is it is really hard to look thru a pair pre-purchase unless you pay the top dollar and buy locally. I've narrowed my choice down to Leupold Katmai 6x32's should be perfect for deer stalking over my pooch in the thick stuff, quite compact light and good reviews on any optics forums (good source for reviews) I have checked out. Don't get sucked into bigger is better unless you are shooting very open country, do the research and hope it all works out.

Cheers,

Waldo

Had a pair of steiner.

Couldn't wait to get rid of them and i was happy to lose money on the deal.

You need to look through them prior to purchase.

My eyes did not suit the steiner.

I did the Russian thing and other makes.

Spent a bloody fortune on binos. Then gave them away as gifts to farmers.

In the end i found a set of Carsons 10x50.

Suited me to a tee.

And i know a few blokes that have used mine have also gone out and got a set of Carsons.

Not expensive at all and they are available here.

This crowd also make scopes.

In the end you need to try before you buy.

Best of luck with it.

I got the Leopuld Yosemite $130 I think from Cabelas

I havent tried lots of binos but im happy with them

8 X 30 mossy oak

There all I need for Deer hunting nice and clear now white haze.

They wouldnt be like the Swaros or the reall expensives ones but I dont need anything like that.

worth a look if your sticking to a budget.

I found them by looking at Cabelas and reading almost every review on there site :lol:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Optics/Binoculars%7C/pc/104791680/c/104752080/sc/104217480/Leupold-BX-1-Yosemite-Binoculars/1166876.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-optics-binoculars%2Fleupold%2F_%2FN-1100054%2B1000003881%2FNe-1000003881%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104217480%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104791680%253Bcat104752080%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104791680%3Bcat104752080%3Bcat104217480#productChart

Well, they'd be less than half the weight of binoculars!

My range finder is a monocular and I find it tiring to use for any length of time as you've got to keep the other eye closed. It may be that not everyone finds that though I guess. Binoculars would also give you a wider field of view.

I haven't heard of any people using them so that's probably a good indication.