New Torches

merlin32

After searching and reading through the threads on these forums regarding CREE torches, I've bought a couple to try out, mostly following fenring's advice as he seems to be the resident torch guru around here.

I was a bit confused at first over what I needed to buy, there are lots of torches and accessories available it can be confusing. I settled on 2 models

-Ultrafire WF-008

-Solarforce L2T with XR-E Q4 insert

I also have a Led Lensor P7 for comparison but currently it's on loan to the missus who is a school teacher and using it on school camp so I couldn't get photos of it (they are going to play spotlight games and she wanted a good torch, lol).

I also wanted to try a couple of different mounting systems, so I have the el-cheapo nylon mounts and also the LED Lensor rifle mount.

Here are some photos...

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

Using the nylon mount:

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

And the LED Lensor mount:

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

I was only really interested in throw because the sole purpose of these torches is spotlighting rabbits, so I'm not concerned about distance beyond 100m

- I was using fully charged 18650 batteries (3.7v 2400mAh)

- The Ultrafire WF-008 was the best torch out of the 3 for distance, with the narrowest beam and least amount of light spill

- The Solarforce was still good but didn't have the same throw as the Ultrafire

- The Solarforce can take interchangeable lamp modules for more / less throw and more / less power which is a bonus

- The Led Lensor was the dimmest by far, it also has a big problem and that is it uses AAA batteries

- I haven't really experimented with lenses or different inserts, also both the ultrafire and solarforce you can extend the body and use 2 batteries for more power, haven't tried this either

- My overall impression was that the cheapo nylon mount was better than the LED lensor mount and also much more versatile.

So, in conclusion, I'm going to be using the Ultrafire WF-008 with the nylon mount this weekend on the bunnies, wish me luck! I wouldn't write off the Solarforce however for a torch out of the box as a thrower I think the WF-008 would be hard to beat for the price.

Links...

Mounts:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-nylon-mount-for-flashlights-and-lasers-12000

Ultrafire WF-008

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-wf-008-recoil-thrower-cree-q5-wc-230-lumen-led-flashlight-1-18650-2-cr123a-22934

Solarforce L2T

Torch body - http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=FB&s=42&id=216

Insert - http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=29&id=295

Bang for the buck, that Ultrafire is a great thrower - I use it on my HMR sometimes and it's good out to the limit of HMR range and you can get about three hours runtime.

The Solarforce L2 series are extremely versatile - you can make them a flooder, a great general purpose torch, or even a red / green / blue torch all by just changing the "bulb" unit which takes about one minute.

One thing you can also do with them is swap the textured reflector for a smooth reflector for a little more throw. This is the item to get - you just use the smooth reflector which screws on and off.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/26-5mm-aluminum-reflector-drop-in-module-set-without-emitter-5955

You can also replace the flat lens with this aspheric lens, in combination with the smooth reflector and you get a tight spot much like the recoil thrower gives. Note that this works best with the XR-E and XP-C emitters and not so good with the XP-G and XM-L which won't focus down to an intense spot. You just need to play around with the rubber / fiber washers that are in the head of the torch, until the emitter is focused and looks like a square. Good for about 150m of throw.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/glass-optics-for-flashlights-28mm-5297

Be careful with the extension tubes and extra batteries - many of the Solarforce modules are designed for a certain voltage range and you can blow them. You won't generally get any, or much more power just from extra voltage anyway as the LED itself will be voltage regulated. The L2 will take the Pro- "Monster thrower" head which is a great thrower and will out throw the recoil thrower by at least 30% and can in fact handle two 18650 batteries behind it. it's way overkill on a .22 IMO and my own experience has been that sometimes rabbits are a bit flighty if the light is too intense at closer ranges.

Edited by fenring

Interesting thread Folks.

I just bought an Ultrafire C2 and a tape switch from Deal Extreme as I wanted the single mode for use with the Tape Switch and am happy with them for my use on my Browning .22. I am impressed with the Run time of the 18650 batteries also. I can not help but wonder how much more throw the light would have with a smooth reflector and a converging glass lense ?? Fenring will the mods you listed swap into my C2 or are they only suitable for Torches like the Solarforce.

I am considering purchasing a second Torch and based on what I've read in this and other threads the Solarforce looks like a good well priced option.

regards Jacko

Perry, the C2 uses a different sized head and reflector and is not so easy pulled apart. Also, the aspheric lens only works really well with the XR-E or "R2 / Q5" emitter - not sure what your C2 has, as they come in several flavours.

The Solarforce Pro-1 can holds its own against most other throw lights of similar size, regardless of cost. :thumbsu:

I always thought of these torches and mounts as a bit of a gimmick. But after looking at these on the dealsextreme link I've changed my mind on them and will invest in one for my .22. Will be great for walking the creek popping of bunnies.

I always thought of these torches and mounts as a bit of a gimmick. But after looking at these on the dealsextreme link I've changed my mind on them and will invest in one for my .22. Will be great for walking the creek popping of bunnies.

too right! great way to spotlight bunnies on foot, I actually don't own a 4wd so on foot with one of these is the only way to do it

Fenring,

Any suggestions on a mount for the L2T with Monster Thrower head?

Cheers,

Rob

Yep. If you have a scope with a 25mm tube, attach this to the scope.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/aluminum-alloy-bracket-mount-with-hex-wrench-for-m16-gun-25mm-caliber-47332

That gives you a Weaver rail on your scope.

Now fit a 25mm scope ring to the torch body. A high mount like this one works on scopes up to about 40mm objective.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/25mm-gun-mount-5523

Just attach mount to rail. :)

So,

I went out tonight, set my camera to Manual exposure - 2 sec f/8 and took pics of the torches beams...

Because I used manual exposure, the difference in brightness in the image means difference in light output of the torches. Here goes.

The distance is about 100 metres

LED lensor P7 (set on narrowest beam)

test_lensor_p7.jpg

Solarforce L2T with the XR-E insert

test_solarforcel2t_xre.jpg

Ultrafire WF-008

test_ultrafirewf008.jpg

And just for the heck of it, a Romisen 900 lumen torch (has 6 x CREE elements, not sure of the spec though).

test_romisen.jpg

Overall, the pics confirm my thoughts about the ultrafire WF-008, I am beginning to think however that a bit of spill mightn't be a bad thing in terms of target acquisition.

Starting to wonder if I should look for something a bit bigger, with a bit more output, the romisen torch I posted is massive so probably not practical for a gun-mount, but I'm sure there is something in the middle, just need to work out what it is...

Edited by merlin32

Get a Pro-1 and never look back :bow:

Solarforce Pro-1 will give you a tight spot like the WF-008, but some spill around the outside. It will in fact out throw the WF-008, especially if you use an extension tube and two 18650's.

The Pro-1 out throws the WF-008 by a mile - even with the one 18650.

Solarforce Pro-1 will give you a tight spot like the WF-008, but some spill around the outside. It will in fact out throw the WF-008, especially if you use an extension tube and two 18650's.

Hey Fenring

I just have a question on the batteries, are the 18650's, a standard size I mean like AA or AAA. I have sets of 2400mah rechargeable AA's and was wondering if I could get by with these?

Thanks

Moz

Hey Fenring

I just have a question on the batteries, are the 18650's, a standard size I mean like AA or AAA. I have sets of 2400mah rechargeable AA's and was wondering if I could get by with these?

Thanks

Moz

Sorry Guys, I think I have answered my own question! The 18650's seem to be 3.7 volts and AA's are more like 1.5 volts so the answer would be no!

Moz

The 18650's are twice the size of a CR-123A.

CR-132A's aren't rechargeable (the similar sized rechargeable version is slightly longer in size and may not fit in the touch) and cost about $4 each.

They are longer then a AA and much thicker. And as you discovered, they have over twice the voltage.

Hey Fenring

Thanks

Moz

The 18650 is essentially a battery than is 18.6mm in diameter and 65mm long. They are not really a standard consumer battery, though many torches run on them. They are often used in laptop battery packs. Voltage is normally 3.7V.

There are Solarforce L2 bodies that are designed for 2xAA's but you wouldn't bother screwing a Pro-1 onto one of those - voltage will be low and so will runtime. The Solarforce L2i will take three AAA's (so that's 3x 1.5v = 4.5V) and will also take 1x18650 or 2xCR123's in a pinch.

IMO the best body for the Pro-1 to attach to is the regular 18650 L2, L2P or L2T. You can also attach an extension tube to these, allowing you to run 2x 18650 for 7.4V and 275 lumens. I just run one 18650 with my Pro-1 and that does all I need. If you really need a 300m thrower then the two 18650's behind it is the way to go, however.

The 18650 is essentially a battery than is 18.6mm in diameter and 65mm long. They are not really a standard consumer battery, though many torches run on them. They are often used in laptop battery packs. Voltage is normally 3.7V.

There are Solarforce L2 bodies that are designed for 2xAA's but you wouldn't bother screwing a Pro-1 onto one of those - voltage will be low and so will runtime. The Solarforce L2i will take three AAA's (so that's 3x 1.5v = 4.5V) and will also take 1x18650 or 2xCR123's in a pinch.

IMO the best body for the Pro-1 to attach to is the regular 18650 L2, L2P or L2T. You can also attach an extension tube to these, allowing you to run 2x 18650 for 7.4V and 275 lumens. I just run one 18650 with my Pro-1 and that does all I need. If you really need a 300m thrower then the two 18650's behind it is the way to go, however.

More questions,

Sorry guys but would appreciate your advice! I placed an order today, for the 4 pack of 18650 batteries with charger, and I was trying to order the Pro-1 with the L2P body however on checking my order status it seems I may have inadvertently ordered the Pro-1 w/ L2.

So my question now is, is there much difference in the L2 compared to the L2P? What are the differences?

Will I be able to use an 18650 battery with the L2 or should I try and have the order changed to the L2P?

Thanks guys

Moz