Fenix Pd32 Review

Fireman_DJ

Hi all,

Some of you may recall AH posted about Fenix conducting a product trial on their new torch. And two of the members here were lucky enough to be selected to test it, myself being one of those members.

Well the torch has come and I've had a chance to play with it. Due to it still being a prototype, no accessories were available for testing.

So without further delay, a bunch of writing followed by some pictures.

The Fenix PD-32 is the same size and weight of the LED Lenser P5 but with more power equal to the larger LED Lenser P7, on paper anyway.

The LED Lensers P7 135 Lumens can spread out wider and shoot out longer then the Fenix PD-32's 130 Lumens, but it can't do both at the same time which is where I think the Fenix will find it's ideal market.

Security guards and law enforcement don't want to be playing around with a focus system while searching for the bad guys. They want a torch that can reach deep into the darkness as well as light up the area around them. The PD-32 does this well.

The tail clicking switch feels very solid and I really like that it remembers the last used brightness setting.

The brightness is adjustable via a small button on the side of the torch near the lens.

Pressing it cycles through Low (9 Lumens), Medium (70 Lumens), High (130 Lumens) and Turbo (315 Lumens). Turbo only runs for 30 minutes before it reverts to high to prevent damage to the LED and circuits, but I doubt anyone would need that much light from a small torch for that long.

Holding down the selector switch will put the torch into Strobe mode first,then SOS mode.

The Strobe mode has a pattern of very rapid flashes followed by a pulsing flash. It is quite disorienting at night and that was without looking directly at the torch.

The SOS mode, unlike some competitors, actually flashes the SOS Morse code of three short flashes, three long flashes and three short flashes.

One thing I dislike about the selector button is it's hard to find by feel. And lets face it, it'll most likely be dark when you need to use the torch and fumbling around to adjust the brightness isn't a good thing.

I was not able to try the 18650 rechargeable batteries (they are still in the mail) and I'm not wasting money on non-rechargeable CR-123A's to test the battery life. But as I only buy lithium batteries for my other torches I can say that $8 for 2 CR-123A's is much cheaper then $20 for 4 AAA lithium batteries.

In addition, there are a number of accessories available that give this torch more versatility.

Overall,I would buy the touch with no hesitation. I like beam spread and will keep mine in my car for general purpose work. And I'm thinking of buying another as a gift for my mother who likes a powerful compact torch in her handbag.

And because nobody reads reviews without pictures, here they are.

To compare the torch, I used a LED Lenser P7 (Rated at 135 Lumens) and a Streamlight Survivor LED (Rated at 140 Lumens), both are similar in power to the PD32 (rated at 130 Lumens in high mode)

Front view

DJM_348-11_1700_6.jpg

Back view

DJM_348-11_1701_6.jpg

Reflector

DJM_348-11_1703_6.jpg

Selector Switch

DJM_348-11_1709_6-2.jpg

Competitors Front

DJM_348-11_1706_6.jpg

Competitors Side

DJM_348-11_1707_6.jpg

Test Results

PD32-Test.gif

Yes, it has two slots on the tail cap where you can run a lanyard.

I understand one is included in the retail package along with a "body clip" (similar to a pen's clip).

From their website, water proof to IPX-8 to 2m and impact resistant to 1m.

(http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=155)

Since I wrote the review, I've had more time to use it in the field.

It's doing quite well. Still not quite enough to replace my LightForce 140 spotlight, but a size or two up from this would be pretty close to doing just that.

And in the field (three guys, one with the rifle and LightForce, one with the Fenix and one with the LED Lenser), I'm having a hard time picking my favourite between the two torches.

I'm learning towards the Fenix. The LED Lenser does reach a bit further, but the Fenix isn't far behind it in range. And the Fenix illuminates a pretty wide area without needing to choose between width or reach.

I'm seriously looking buying one of Fenix's bigger torches like the TK70 (Four "D" batteries putting out 2200 Lumens).