Heat From The Eaco Or Whatever In The Car

optic

Do any of you notice a heat build up inside from the car fridge while traveling?

If so have you come up with a way of transferring it to out side without cutting big holes in the car?

I have decided to go for a 3 way fridge, mainly due to the fact that the option to use gas while in camp makes more sense.

And they work the best off gas so im told?

Spent some time at ARB, who dont make a 3 way, but they do have good looking pack racks and awnings.

Can i get some feed back on other makes that you guys may be using?

Next im also after a good UHF antenna for car, any suggestions on a make and model to suit a GME 5 watt.

And if you can help with a make of driving light that does not cost $500.00 that would also help.

last but not least, has any one fitted an over head console to a 2001 patrol, I would rather fit the radio up out of the way than in the dash.

Or if you can steer me in the right direction so i can look at overhear consoles for the patrol.

Cheers and thanks.

Got me stuffed with all those questions :lol:

accept a couple

UHF aerial you want one fro big distance?

probably already know but the shorter the aerial the better for in the hills. gives you more of a bubble around the car.

and the long fishing rod aerials are better for long distance they have more of a longer but not so high bubble around the car so to speak. not so good in the hills but flat roads/highways is what they are for.

theres a GME fibreglass areal which seem popular it about 1m long and thick. has a good solidspring bass.

ivejust got a small jobby which has does me fine for years. depends how much you want to spend as well.

some arnt so cheap.

when you do fit the aerial push a little extra uhf cable up inside the spring. so when it get pulled right back it wont rip the cable out from inside the aerail.

spotlights hhhhhmmm how longs a piece of string.

Im running Hella rally eye 2000. not sure how much they are but they are good for me.

lightforce have a few models.

the cheaper version im not sure how much they are but the only diference is the mounting system.

theres a few light bars coming onto the market not sure what there like. there one long bar with shitloads of LED's

Buy ya self fourwhell drive action magazine. they also have ones for touring and caravans

good magazine and dvd. plenty of ideas to look at.

Also check this site out

www.4x4earth.com.au theres a forum as well.

check it out youll be there for hours :lol:

Do any of you notice a heat build up inside from the car fridge while traveling?

If so have you come up with a way of transferring it to out side without cutting big holes in the car?

I have decided to go for a 3 way fridge, mainly due to the fact that the option to use gas while in camp makes more sense.

And they work the best off gas so im told?

Spent some time at ARB, who dont make a 3 way, but they do have good looking pack racks and awnings.

Can i get some feed back on other makes that you guys may be using?

Next im also after a good UHF antenna for car, any suggestions on a make and model to suit a GME 5 watt.

And if you can help with a make of driving light that does not cost $500.00 that would also help.

last but not least, has any one fitted an over head console to a 2001 patrol, I would rather fit the radio up out of the way than in the dash.

Or if you can steer me in the right direction so i can look at overhear consoles for the patrol.

Cheers and thanks.

I have never noticed a heat build up in the car when running the fridge/s I suppose you could in a 4 door leave a back window slightly down to let some internal air escape while running the air con or having a front window down a bit but really I have never had an issue with it or noticed it.

I have an older 40 lt metal case engel and a newer 60lt poly case waeco, on long trips I use the engel as a freezer and the waeco as a fridge

Consoles

http://www.consoles....hoose_model.htm

http://www.consoles.com.au/

http://www.4wdinteri...of_console.html

Antennas

http://www.prestigec...roducts_id=2072

http://www.prestigec...roducts_id=2223

Lights - mostly personal preference and how much room you have to fit them into; one 4wd accessory shop in perth has a heap of them setup on a bar in a dark room so that you can turn them on and off and compare the different lights mounted on it I think that they have about 8 different sets mounted on it

http://www.lightforc...orce-light.html

• Fridge

Never detected any extra heat. But there SHOULD be some additional heat. Also if the inside of the car is hot, then the fridge must work harder to work.

3 ways are designed to work the best on gas. On 240v it doesn't really matter and on 12v you'll chew up your battery fast. They are really designed around caravans where you have either gas or 240v on tap and 12v while moving about (where gas must be turned off and 240v is hard to keep plugged in).

I use a Waeco 12v compressor fridge and like it. But others love their Engels. I haven't heard much, good or bad about the other brands.

• UHF Antenna

The type of radio you have means nothing in picking a radio, nor does the "size" as you can get quarter and half wave length antennas that basically do the same thing. What you want to look for is the gain, listed in db. 0db means no gain, ie the big bubble to work well in the hills vs the 7.5db antenna I have which is like a very stretched egg pattern which gives me longer range but can't get the guy 200m away if he's at the top and I'm at the bottom of a hill. I have two radios with different antennas for just this reason (the others 3db).

Brands mean almost nothing. It's more important about where you install it and how good you do the install.

• Driving Lights

I have a pair of Ironman HID's. About $350 each. But you'd really only need one of them!!! My pair really light up the road, BEHIND me!!! A mate was 1.5kn up the road and said if I was any closer with my HID's on he'd have a go at me.

• Console

No idea.

Ive had a waeco cf50 for a few years and use it in the cab. I have noticed it a lil warm around the compressor at times but nothing that made me think there was anything wrong with it.

I bought my cb antenna off ebay search "grunter hunter flexible". Its been a great tough bit of gear. I even got it caught in the roller door as it came down and the top was bent right over to below the base. Still works perfectly!

A 3-way will give off a significant amount of heat. They run at about 90-120W continuously, on 12V. So yes, you'll need some ventilation.

A good rundown on the pros and cons of the different portable fridge types: http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Accessories/Fridges.aspx

3-ways are a great base camp fridge, but not so brilliant if you're mostly on the road.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I have an old Chescold 3-way, and it's good. They are Dometic/Chescold now, and still available. http://www.dometic.com

The other popular brand back in the day was the Finch/Electrolux, which is now also a Dometic brand.

These work a lot better at high ambient temps than the cheapos like the Aldi fridge, but that comes at a price. There is some risk in buying a secondhand unit, as they can fail completely when rust builds up in the pipework. The electric heating elements can burn out too, and are around $120 for the replacement part.

Don't get too sucked in by the need for a big antenna mounted on the bull bar, a smaller gutter mount will work as good if not better. (unless it is the bling factor you are after they work because the roof acts as a ground plane). Go to a proper radio store and discuss antenna needs with them and you will find that the more reflective surface you have under the base of the antenna the better it will work.

I would not go for a 3 way fridge mounted in the car a quality arb, engal or waeco will last you a lifetime and it is not worth scrimping on a fridge when you consider that you could lose $200+ if the fridge goes at the wrong time.

+1 for the ralley 4000 lights metal case and once again will last longer than the car.