Predator Hunting And Calling.

hi guys and girls,

I received a Scotch predator call for Xmas and i have the general idea of what to do.

I just have a few questions about where to set up with wind etc.

say for example i'm in a slightly open area and i set up near some sort of small structure enough to hide my body and the wind is in my face. where should i expect to see the fox, cat or dog to come from? i'm assuming they will come from straight ahead and not behind me because down wind they will be able to smell me. or should i be ready as they will be able to hear it from further away down wind. If i know an area where i want to target for a fox or dog should i be to the side, down or up wind from that specific area?

Also if i'm sitting over a carcass should i be up or down wind (down wind sounds bad) or to the side. where is the animal most likely to come from? or is that just completely random. I would assume they would be smelling it into the wind and come from down wind of the carcass so should i be off to the side? If i position myself up wind, does this mean my scent would be mixing in with the smell of the carcass and therefor deterring animals from coming down down wind.

I hope this makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated with regards to either of these methods.

cheers

Jack

This is something you will have to work out as you become familiar with your hunting area.Using the call,you want to be in a gully head that looks down onto vegetation,or even better,a creek.This means that you will need to monitor the wind direction,and you will need to set up accordingly.The same goes for sitting over a carcass.Sit off to the side of the carcass,making sure that you are familiar with the surroundings,and the likely spots a fox will appear from.They like to stay in cover most of the time,so keep that in mind when searching for likely areas.

"This means that you will need to monitor the wind direction,and you will need to set up accordingly."

thank you for your reply. when you say accordingly what do you mean specifically? wind in my face; or up on the higher ground looking into a creek or gully with the wind running along the creek or gully itself?

thanks again.

Jack