Storing Your Firearms In The Same Safe As Other Peoples' Firearms

TheFosta

(Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum, but I couldn’t find any ‘storage’ specific area…)

I’ve heard a few rumours going around about firearm storage with other people – it can’t happen, I even heard you can’t let your missus or anyone else know where the key is…

I had read thru the Firearms Act 1996 and some of the subsequent amendments regarding storage of firearms, in regards to sharing a safe with others. There is nothing which says this can’t happen.

Just to be sure, I had called Licensing Services Division for confirmation, and they said it’s no worries.

In summary – it is legal to store your firearms in the same safe as other peoples’ firearms.

It's definitely ok in Vic.

Only problem is if someone with a legal issue that bans them from accessing firearms has a key or knows the combination to the safe.

For example, you store your rifles in your dad's safe along with his so you naturally have a key. Someone takes out an intervention order against you. At that point you may not be allowed to access your own firearms so you hand them in. But you've still got a key to the safe with your dad's rifles in it. That'd be bad news for your dad if anyone worked it out.

Simple answer is to give the key back to your dad but you've got to prove you have, etc.

Gets worse if the same situation happens but the safe, and your dad's rifles, are at your house.

That's my understanding, anyway. In normal situations it's all perfectly fine.

I had an inspection done at my home and had a rifle on the safe that wasn't mine. No problems at all.

Everyone with access to the safe would also have to be licensed for the categories of all firearms in the safe. For example if you have a cat AB licence you couldn't share a safe in which someone who was storing a cat C firearm.

One point you have missed i think.

Is that you have to notify the registry of the location of the firearms.

That means if you dont live where the firearms are stored the need to know about it.

And there is a time limit on it.

Im not up with the rules on hand guns, and correct me if im wrong.

I think they have to be under a separate and different storage arrangement?

My post was in no way intended to be comprehensive.

Yes, there are different requirements for different categories, however most people would only have A+B. Cat C, D, and handguns are different kettles of fish.

Also, you would obviously need to let the registry know where they are if they're going to be there for a long time.

Duncs - The legalities of sharing with someone who then loses their licence, gets a restraining order taken out, etc is different again.

I enquired because I thought it may be possible to store my rifle in the same safe as someone else's rifle if I go on a hunting trip.

Also, I can store it at a friends house for a night or two if we're going hunting on his parents farm, etc.

There are some households where several people own firearms - farming families is one that springs to mind. It would be possible for everyone in the place to store all their firearms in the one safe (and for completeness - as long as everyone is licenced, firearms are registered, correct categories, there's no more than 15, ammo is stored separately...etc).

Not legal in WA with out every one who has access to the safe being licensed for ALL firearms in said safe, just thought I'd clarify that small point for those that may not have picked that up.

Edited by Gibs

Just to be sure, I had called Licensing Services Division for confirmation, and they said it’s no worries.

If you don't have this in writing it's not worth anything and you would be wasting your time trying to explain this to the police during your safe inspection if they disagreed.

As Gibs said the laws are not the same in every state; send your licensing branch a letter or email enquiry so that you have the ruling in writing.

I've been doing it since 96,

Wife and I have a key to our safe which has A, B & H firearms in it, both have appropriate licences,

We also have some club pistols stored in there along with my fathers firearms, storage address for all of them is listed as our address.

I also looked after some firearms for a friend of the family when they sold their house and travelled around Aus for 3 years, they simply informed FAR of the change of storage address.

No issues at all, last safe inspection the police even turned up with the list for all 5 licences that listed our place as the safe keeping address.

In NSW you have to notify the FAR if your guns are going to be stored in a different location for more than 14 days.

eg say you go on a hunting trip for 3 weeks on a farm.

All you have to do is email the NSW FAR ( firearmsenq@police.nsw.gov.au ) with Full name Lic# and DOB and list the guns make model calibre and serial numbers and the new address where the guns will be stored.

When you get back home do it again with your home address.

(note: NSW FAR will not reply with a confirmation - the gun location details are just updated as they are received)

eg Letter

Hello,

I'd like to inform Firearms Registry of NSW that I have moved the following rifles to another address for safe keeping.

a ) {Gun Make} {Model} {Calibre} Reg: xxxxxxxxx Serial: xxxxxxx

b ) {Gun Make} {Model} {Calibre} Reg: xxxxxxxxx Serial: xxxxxxx

Is now Currently stored at: {Full address}

{Full Name}, DOB {dd/mm/yyyy}, Firearms Licence/Permit No. xxxxxxxxx

Regards,

Fred

Edited by Gigitt