Scope And Binos Fogging Up

G'day all

whilst away with some cold temps all though not that cold the binos and scope kept fogging up on the outer lenses.

the scope got a wipe over with a tissue and seemed fine.

but the binos kept foggin up when I put my eyes near the lenses to use them.

how can i fix it?

it was really starting to piss me off.

it came better after i spat on them. like scuba diving in the mask big loogie works best but its a bit hard with small lenses.

is there a spray or special wipe to use to stop the fogging up???

cheers cam

Hey mate,

you need an anti-fogging/anti-static spray to clean the lenses before you head out. One I use is Birchwood casey Lense Cleaner. Guns shops sell it.I use it on my scopes and camera lenses for freefall and it stops them fogging and any moisture just beads off. Make sure you buy some proper lense tissue as normal tissue paper will slowly abrade away the lense coatings and cause micro-scratches. Those micro fibre lense cloths come in handy too..

Thanks mate

gunna check out the gunshop tomorow and see if they have any spray.

Ive been using the leopuld scope cleaner pen with a brush at one end and a polishing thing on the other end.

comes up really nice.

but that fogging was well doin my head in. :lol: almost through the binos at a tree :lol:

B_Bear is right don't use facial tissues on lenses . Some have moisturisers like alovera on them that actually help fogging to occur . A clean handkerchief is better than a facial tissue . Also buy one of those womens makeup brushes that

have a protective sliding cover and use that to flick off any dust on the lense first then apply a few drops of lense

cleaner .

Edited by Happy Jack

B_Bear is right don't use facial tissues on lenses . Some have moisturisers like alovera on them that actually help fogging to occur . A clean handkerchief is better than a facial tissue .

Ive heard somthing like that before. might have been photograph class at high school.

if i havent got anything ill use the soft insides of my jumper or shirt.

but normaly carry some moist lense cleaner wipes i grabbed from work. they work pretty well.

A good type of cloth is an open weave type of cloth that traps any dust without forcing it against the glass

surface . I use chux wipes torn up into strips for barrel cleaning and find that they clean scope lenses

well because they are open weave and soft and don't seem to have any kind of additive in them . Keep them in a ziplock plastic bag or tight container .

Edited by Happy Jack

Thanks mate

gunna check out the gunshop tomorow and see if they have any spray.

Ive been using the leopuld scope cleaner pen with a brush at one end and a polishing thing on the other end.

comes up really nice.

but that fogging was well doin my head in. :lol: almost through the binos at a tree :lol:

Most lense cleaners are just alcohol mixed with purified water. They won't stop fogging so make sure it's a good brand that says anti-fog on the bottle. The anti-static is good too as it stops dust sticking to the lense and any rain drops will bead right off the glass.Use very light pressure when you rubbing it in and a clean dry tissue (very lght pressure) to wipe it off. When you wipe it off it should feel real slippery under the dry tissue. That's the anti-fog coating. Put a few applications on before you head out and it should be sweet no matter how bad the conditions.

Thanks fellas :thumbsu:

get some spray tomorow if they have any.

any thoughts on those plasma TV wipes? those blue ones that come with the tvs to keep in the day pack

got a few of those floating around.

I think they use them for cleaning camer lenses as well. a very soft cloth but they dont fall apart.

Get your self a LensPen!

Another thing is when using liquid lense cleaners don't drop the liquid straight onto the lense . Put a few drops on the cleaning cloth patch and then wipe the lense , finnishing of with a dry patch.

Another thing is when using liquid lense cleaners don't drop the liquid straight onto the lense . Put a few drops on the cleaning cloth patch and then wipe the lense , finnishing of with a dry patch.

Oh ok

whys that?

does it thicken up and go clagy when it evapourates? or really strong and damge the lense?

Too much liquid running over the lense may in time build up against the lense seals and O-Rings and "possibly " . Read "Possibly " , damage the lense seals . It is just a precaution to reduce any remote possibility of trouble in the future . New lense cleaners could be made anyplace now , even China , so caution is warranted.

Ahh ok

good thinking.

will be putting it on the clothe as you reconmend.

I went to the LGS tonight and was quiet disapointed.

the bloke there hadnt heard of it and really didnt have much idea.

he asked the other bloke, nup

I spoke to someone else and mentioned the brand Bbear had.

so they ended up ordering a few bottles.

hopefully its the right one

Birchwood casey anti staic anti fog spray.

they tried selling me a swavoski cleaning kit for 50 bucks which still didnt have what i wanted in the kit.

ahh well all sorted now should be in with in a few days and suposed to ring me when its in.

not sure whats going on with the ol LGS seems to be getting worse.

well one person remebered my name which was good.

so job should be right now when I give it a go

This stuff thats on order aparently i think is a cleaner and anti fog.

I guess I'll see if it works when i got out next.

or I might have a go with them at night when its cold and see how they go with fogging up.

it might not clean that well and be more de fogger if that the case i'll get some cleaner

clean then de fog and touch wood i wont have any more dramas with them.

mate, the Birchwood stuff removed every trace of Inox over spray from my scope glass while all the other stuff I tried just spread it around and left oil slicks. It cleans glass awesomely :D

Edited by b_bear

mate, the Birchwood stuff removed every trace of Inox over spray from my scope glass while all the other stuff I tried just spread it around and left oil slicks. It cleans glass awesomely :D

sweet as.

sounds llike its good stuff then hey.

havnt had oil issues on the scope yet

I leave the scope cover on :thumbsu:

good to know it works through the oil though.

get rid of the egg and bacon finger prints :lol: