Hanging Up Bolts In Safe

mjr_57t

Hi Guys

I have 7 guns in a 10 gun safe and no room for a shotgun and air rifle later on down the track with out buying a new safe so I had a play around today and decided to remove a few of the bolts from the rifles that I don't use that much to see if I can stack them in a little neater.

I now have enough room for 2 more but I'm just wondering how guys that remove the bolts actually store them. I don't mean separately but more like hanging on the inside of the door.

I was thinking about fitting a few ute tarp tie down loops and putting the bolt handle through that so it hangs there. The only problem is finding loops that are small enough.

bunji_std.jpg

I would probaly use some PCV pipe (Electical Cinduit) cut them up into bolt lengths and then use come PVC glue to string them side by side together like a Pan Flute. Cut a U into the top front and then dtop the bolt in. The Bolt handle can sit in the U and is holds it all in alignment so they dont swing about.

Now mount the whole PVC Bolt Rack to the Back of the Safe Door or something.

You can then Use some Black Marker Pen to write on the PVC Bolt Tube Which Rifle it goes to.

Cheers

Edited by Gigitt

I would probaly use some PCV pipe (Electical Cinduit) cut them up into bolt lengths and then use come PVC glue to string them side by side together like a Pan Flute. Cut a U into the top front and then dtop the bolt in. The Bolt handle can sit in the U and is holds it all in alignment so they dont swing about.

Now mount the whole PVC Bolt Rack to the Back of the Safe Door or something.

You can then Use some Black Marker Pen to write on the PVC Bolt Tube Which Rifle it goes to.

Cheers

You my friend are a legend. Ill start on it tomorrow

Up to you to look up how to release the bolt firing pin...

I know my Brno 22lr I just twist it in my hand - but my Tikka is quite a bit more difficult.

How do you go about releasing the fireing pin spring pressure? or is it ok leaving them out? and the sring isnt under compression when taken out of the rifle.

2 of the bolts are single shot and one is from a No4 Mk1 303 (c0ck on close) so spring compression is not a problem but for the rest after reading pages and pages of opinions, its not that much of a concern to me. There's been research done and apparently static pressure doesn't kill springs, working them does. You can start a 20 page debate over this so lets try to not get into it here.

But an old shirt or rag and a strong hand should allow you to release and engage the firing pin if that's what you want to do.

Edited by mjr_57t

or hold the trigger in and close the bolt

That's all I do with the ones that will be keeping the bolts in. I only need to remove 4 out of the 7 to make enough room.

Obviously NSW will have their own rules, but in Qld a rifle must be stored with the bolt removed or action broken.

Obviously NSW will have their own rules, but in Qld a rifle must be stored with the bolt removed or action broken.

Does the bolt have to be separate or can it be in the same safe. Maybe you can adopt the Pan Pipe Bolt Storage Rack™

Edited by mjr_57t

well i was informed when sitting my ticket in vic that it doesnt matter a bolt is classed as a gun as it is part of a gun and therefore can stay in the rifle when locked away just dont store it with ammo if removed as that can (i think) get you into trouble

WA has no policy/regs in regards to firearm bolts. BUT it could be argued that since they are part of a firearm they should not be stored with ammo (it be a real streach tho). Mind you, it would have to be a very broad stroke of the pen to say that they ARE a firearm, so I'd say it wouldn't be tested by the WA police. In fact todate, having had 3 inspections of my safe over the years, NO reference has ever been made to my bolts being stored with my ammo, good, bad or otherwise.