Garmin Gpsmap 62

Jack_baird

Righto,

So yesterday I went to buy a GPS for R- Licence hunting trips, I went to dicksmith and there was a clearance on a Garmin GPSmap 62.

So I picked it up for $199 apparently they go for around $390 (so the salesman said). My 2 part question is this:

Has anyone got this unit (if so how do you find it)?

Am I able to download Topo maps from the Game Council permission section onto this GPS, if so how involved is it?

Any info is appreciated, I am still trying to get my head around it this is my first GPS, and we leave for state forest early tommorow morning.

Cheers

Jack

post-11501-0-54414300-1344579337_thumb.jpg

hi jack - dont know about uploading the game council maps - the garmins take a special graphic file that is specific to garmins (i would doubt the maps are correct). The 62s are good units, my only tip is make sure your set it up with the right datum for the area you are hunting and then cross reference your location coordinates to a pronted map (make sure map-gps datum are the same)

Hi Jack i have the same unit and have no problems with downloading the game council maps.

I use the google one's and save it into the custom maps part of the GPS. The map will come up when you go into that area but i have found you need to have the zoom into 800m to get the map to come up but it works brilliantly and it easy really easy to see road names etc. Hope this helps mate and good luck.

Thanks camo83, I just managed to get a half decent map setup by using google earth and placing the Game Council hunting and exlusion FLM format map over it.I also just downloaded Shonky Maps, and mapsource and put a full topo with contour lines on there in addition to the other one. Cheering!

nottelling - I dont think so mate, I haven't read it in any of the manuals so far.

Jack.

Thanks camo83, I just managed to get a half decent map setup by using google earth and placing the Game Council hunting and exlusion FLM format map over it.I also just downloaded Shonky Maps, and mapsource and put a full topo with contour lines on there in addition to the other one. Cheering!

nottelling - I dont think so mate, I haven't read it in any of the manuals so far.

Jack.

Please explain to me who is not very tech savvy how you did this.

Currently I only have shonkymaps

And I would love to get the other stuff on there. I thought you could only put one map set at a time on the things....

Hi Andyblue,

I am assuming you have the same model unit?

Well I have managed to enable both maps by Selecting the area on Shonky maps, then pressing the uploading to device tab. It will then tell you whether or not it has successfully loaded to the unit.

Once you start the GPS, go to the location where you have loaded the map, to ensure it is there.

By pressing the menu button, go to setup map. You then select down to the Map Information tab, and select it. You should now see the Basemap, Birdseye Satellite, and whatever other maps are loaded onto the unit, just enter into them individually and you will be given the option to either enable it, or disable it and there you go!

I have noticed that having the custom Game Council Map & Shonky(Mapsource) Area map enabled at the same time, conflicts at certain Zooming points and one will supercede the other.

Sorry it took so long to reply, we just got back from the hunt this morning, I had a great time. Unfortunatly there was nothing to be seen, no signs or game in this particular State Forest, but just getting out there was great. The GPS worked a treat, and I am glad I picked it up, it could get messy heading out into an unknown area with out one these devices.

Cheers,

Jack

Edited by Jack_baird

I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 62S for use with the R lic. maps, its great can keep an eye out for the boundry zones, have used it a few times now in the SF's down there , does make it easier and safer, also got topo maps with mine and also trying out shonky maps for the in car Garmin Nuvii too. Pitty it doesn't tell you where the critters are thou :D

......cheers Mick......