What Gps Do I Get?

Cec120

So if you are using a Kmz file that is made using wgs84 information in a gps that is set to adg66 for example and you may find yourself hunting in the wrong area accidentally.

KML and KMZ files are in one datum only called "WGS 84 Auto". When loaded into your Garmin mapping GPS they are transferred in that same datum ALWAYS, as are all waypoints and other data. The only effect changing your datum on your unit has is to change the location co-ordinates WRITTEN on your waypoint screen, it does not change the location of your cursor on your units map display.

This discussion has me wondering about your legend hcx though. If changing your datum while you are standing in the same spot moves your cursor then it is probably a good thing they are superseded. Did you test this?

Well I just learnt something, thanks.

I did not know that about the wgs 84 outo, to happy to be corrected.

I am yet to receive the hcx so I will test it.

I know that if you manually put in a waypoint and the change the datum it will ,in my old gps, change the location of the waypoint.

Edited by danh124

I am pointing out that the map Happy Jack is saying we should check our download against IS THE SAME MAP, and it is the only map you can rely on for exclusion zone info because it is the map the GC rely on to regulate those exclusion zones.

Exactly !! And I am saying just check your download has produced the same data as the physical map showing the exclusion zones supplied by the " Forestry service " to the Game Council. Download can get corrupted or the download link could take you to the wrong map and you don't notice it until you are in the field . The Forestry Service sets the exclusion zones . However you always have to disagree and then you back track .

You are alway arguing against common sense .

Exactly !! And I am saying just check your download has produced the same data as the physical map showing the exclusion zones supplied by the " Forestry service " to the Game Council. Download can get corrupted or the download link could take you to the wrong map and you don't notice it until you are in the field . The Forestry Service sets the exclusion zones . However you always have to disagree and then you back track .

You are alway arguing against common sense .

No, the problem is you are having trouble understanding the technology.

If you rely on downloaded waypoints to map out an exclusion zone you are taking one risk and that is what if a waypoint is wrong , what if many of them are wrong ? It is unlikely to happen but assembling grid references to establish a waypoint takes some precision and it is easy to make a mistake and exclusion zones do change .

When you are downloading the KMZ file from the GC you are not downloading "waypoints to map out an exclusion zone" , you are downloading a geo-referenced raster image. The download is an exact copy of the physical map (a scan) and the locations of exclusion zones will not be any different in your scanned copy.

I am also surprised you believe you could somehow download and install the wrong map and not have noticed it is the wrong one as soon as you open it in Google Earth so you can transfer it to your GPS.

No, the problem is you are having trouble understanding the technology.

And you are trying to tell the World that technology CAN'T possibly fail or be inaccurate in any way , human error does not exist , come on what planet do you live on. Any download link can be linked to the wrong raster map . The Geo reference data could be wrong and the image comes up in the wrong place.

As I said before initially it is unlikely to happen but it also can't hurt to check the right data has downloaded before setting out . Good navigation is not about blindly following another persons calculations or data . It's about doing it yourself and double checking any results every time .

Just because you would not make the error dose not mean other people will not. You are doing the check I refer to before you transfer so you agree that a check needs to be done . People make all kinds of navigation mistakes all the time and some even die from them . I have seen people in the bush with completely the wrong map for the area so how do you explain that.

Edited by Happy Jack

Girls girls, stop arguing.

Yes, even computers can make mistakes.

HOWEVER, if anything ends up in court, you can take the data on your GPS (and on your PC) as evidence that you were provided incorrect data by the GC and that by using this data, not knowing it was incorrect, you were attempting to follow the requirements and restrictions as set out.

I doubt if it even gets to court, that it will proceed much further. However it is a good idea to load the maps on the GPS and compared them to paper maps. Both to confirm that they are the same and correct AND more so to memorize the boundaries. If you can navigate with your head instead of a digital device or a map and compass (which can ALSO give incorrect data) then you will be much safer.

NOW, shut the hell up and let's get this thread back on topic.

Which mapping GPS should he buy, given all the options and why?

Yes Dad LOL

Garmin, the best model he can afford (but ignoring paying for a camera).

I have the 62s and if I had to replace it today I would buy the Etrex 30. He could go one of the touchscreen models if he was keen on them, but I don't believe the softer touchscreen will stand up to abuse as well as the glass screen on the 62 units.

Thanks lol

I decided to go with the etrex 30 as its very close to my older etrex and i like the unit i have size/weight wise. Because at the end of the day im only using it as a paper map reference point and i think this unit will be fine for this, hell i was doing ok with my old unit so this will be a touch of luxury!

Thanks all for the input!