Light Alternatives...

JohnGalway

Hi folks,

Sat here wondering what you guys use when out after foxes at night. I've always used Lightforce lamps, got the 140,170, and 240. Batteries have ranged from 14 to 33 amp sealed lead acids in my backpack.

I'm not sure they can yet be beaten for the job we do, but after a bit of looking around the various forums online I ordered a Fanfyfire stl-v6 which is supposed to put out 1,000 lumens and light up to over 300 yards which you can see, and presumably pick up eye shine farther than that. It uses two 18650 batteries and an LED. I'll use that as my spotter.

For my rifle I've ordered an Optimus LD-50 designator. I've read and asked for some reviews from users and while some are mixed my overall impression for the price was it's worth the punt. Supposedly had the ability to let the shooter shoot out to 300 yards or just under which is plenty range for me. I'll keep that on my scope for quick shots.

Ideally if money were no option I'd have gone for the Taclight/Dereelight Nightmaster 800 for the rifle and a Thrunite TN31 for the spotter, but my eyes nearly popped at the combined prices with all their attachments.

Do you guys use any different technology from the incandesant lamps that have been on the go for donkeys years?

I spotlight on foot almost 100% of the time for foxes and bunnies. For bunnies with the .22 I mount a Solarforce L2 with the 320 lumen Cree XP-G emitter.

With the HMR I use a Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 or a Solarforce L2 with an aspheric Cree XR-E emitter.

I also have an L2 with a red emitter and aspheric lens for when they are a bit shy of a white light.

I'm on foot here too (like to see anyone attempt to lamp from a vehicle on my hunting ground lol), have had knee, hip, and shoulder problems due to heavy rifle, and heavy batteries. That's why I'm going the way I am.

I bought an EagleTac something or other a year or two ago, another LED torch, I use it as a backup get home light in my backpack incase my LF fails. Though if I had a scope mount for it, I reckon it would be good out to 120 yards.

The Fenix TK-70 was a light I did a lot of looking at alright. What turned me off it is I believe it uses 4 D cell batteries, and I'd have to bring along spares as well, so I went looking for a flashlight that I could feed smaller batteries too. What's handy about that is they 18650's I'll have in the Fandyfire are interchangeable with the EagleTac, possibly with the Optimus but I think that takes the smaller cr123 jobbies.

Ultrafire WF-008 recoil thrower.

P1000846.jpg

Solarforce L2 with red emitter and aspheric lens.

P1000643a.jpg

Solarforce L2 with Cree XR-E R2 emitter and aspheric lens.

P1010307.jpg

Solarforce Pro-1 running a single 18650

P1010273.jpg

Eagletac T100C2 MkII with smooth reflector

P1000945.jpg

Solarforce L2 with three mode Cree XP-G R5 emitter and smooth reflector

P1010432.jpg

I would say the Ultrafire WF 008 is the best "bang for ya buck." I got mine for $12 (brought 2.)

I use the Ultrafire mounted and Jetbeam M2S 1000 Lumens for spotting. The Jetbeam Lanyard is also handy so you can just drop the torch and change to the mounted one.

So whats the best buy off the shelf Fen.

Or do you have to make it up?

If you want a long throwing pencil beam the Pro-1 takes some beating. As far as pure output goes it's been left behind by a number of XM-L throwers that will light a bigger area but won't necessarily go further. The Crelant 7G5 is perhaps among the top ones, especially with the aspheric head.

For a torch to mount on a .22 the Solarforce L2 varieties are versatile and easily upgradeable and you can swap emitter colours and throw patterns and lenses to get the beam you want.

The problem with this stuff is that its out dated before you know it, and a new model takes over.

Yes and no. If a light fulfills it's purpose just fine and continues to do so then it's never really outdated.

One reason I like those Solarforce P60 lights is that you can replace or upgrade the light engine cheaply and in minutes.

The Pro-1 is still one of the best throwers out there. It's not without it's faults but for the money it is very good and the quality is fine.

You get that tight spot and some spill as well so you can see in your periphery. A mate of mine has a Derelight Night Master which would out throw the Pro-1 and most other lights but it's like a laser - tiny square and no spill.

Many nocturnal animals are less affected by red light.

White light on the other hand can be used to herd animals. Did it a week ago on the airport's grass runway to a rabbit/hare. When it ran to the side where the long grass was, I put my driving lights in between it and the long grass and it turned away from the light. Good fun. Also clocked him at over 42 kph over a distance of about 400m. I only lost him because I ran out of runway!!! And I'm not sure if it was a very large rabbit or a small hare. It looked more like a rabbit, but from the speed of it I'm not too sure.

So I have a stack of 18650 batteries and a couple of good torches, but would like to get another one or two with a scope mount. Very simply, what torch would you recommend and what mount? Just your own opinions, no facts required. For shooting, not spotting.

I've the the LED Lenser mount and it's pretty simple but effective. It's two bits of plastic with circular bends in both ends held together in the middle by a screw with a large grip on it. A bit of rubber was provided for the scope or barrels protection.

Slide it over the scope, slide the torch in and tighten it up. Does the job just like many of the generic ones will from eBay. Just that I got this with with the torch as a hunting kit (also with a remote thumb switch for gun mounting).

Just a question as I don't really know a lot about these torches and can only compare it to a led lenser p7 ... These torches sound much better as in distance and brightness is this correct ?? Cherrs

So I have a stack of 18650 batteries and a couple of good torches, but would like to get another one or two with a scope mount. Very simply, what torch would you recommend and what mount? Just your own opinions, no facts required. For shooting, not spotting.

What rifle, what distance are you wanting to shoot?

Just a question as I don't really know a lot about these torches and can only compare it to a led lenser p7 ... These torches sound much better as in distance and brightness is this correct ?? Cherrs

Many are, yes.

Edited by fenring

I had a p7 on a .22 for rabbits and was good but I want to put one on a 17 hmr for a little more distance . What are lumens ?? Is that the brightness of the light or the projection ??