Light Alternatives...

JohnGalway

Lumens is the brightness or I guess you'd say the amount of light coming out. Lux is a measurement of light intensity or how far the light will project the beam. It's possible to have a light with lowish lumens but high lux if the beam is focused tight.

I just got a Solarforce M3 and it throws a fair way and has good peripheral spread.

P1010806.jpg

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?id=525&s=26&t=LF

The Pro-1 is a long range spot beam torch. Only about 200-250 lumens but a very tight spot with some fine peripheral spill.

P1000766.jpg

P1010422.jpg

Edited by fenring

Probably on the 22 magnum for out to 100m.

Lumens are how much total visible light an LED puts out.

But I'm pretty warey on lumens claims... It's not just how many lumens a torch has, it's also the quality of the lense and also the heatsink behind the LED.

My 220 Lumen LED Lenser oushines my 1000 Lumen Hong Kong $12 special convincingly. Plus the cheapy has not one "halo" around irt's light but two of them- meaning the chip is rubbish i'm told. Plus you cant focus it down to a nice small spotlight- it becomes square and then you can see the outline and lines inside the LED chip shining out in the paddock. Hopeless.

So lumens 'aint lumens.

Fenring do you have any experience with LED Lensers? If so, what LED torch would you recommend, in any brand, that would be the next step up from my 220L MT7 while being the same size? The MT7 is great, but i know there will be plenty better out there now :)

Edited by Tippa

Can anyone help me with a link to the Pro-1 on Solarforce's website? I can no longer find the Pro-1 on there, only the Pro-2. Has the Pro-1 been superceded by the Pro-2 or are they totally different products?

Thanks for any help.

Fenring do you have any experience with LED Lensers? If so, what LED torch would you recommend, in any brand, that would be the next step up from my 220L MT7 while being the same size? The MT7 is great, but i know there will be plenty better out there now :)

I have had a play with some P7's but that's it. I wasn't impressed. I don't like lights that use AAA's. 18650's are the way to go IMO.

In a light of the same size, the light you have is going to be pretty good for .22LR use. A zoom flashlight isn't a bad option if you want decent throw in a small package.

Can anyone help me with a link to the Pro-1 on Solarforce's website? I can no longer find the Pro-1 on there, only the Pro-2. Has the Pro-1 been superceded by the Pro-2 or are they totally different products?

Thanks for any help.

I enquired with Solarforce and the Pro-1 is currently out of stock but still in production and will reappear soon.

The Pro-2 is a floodier light that uses the MCE emitter which is four emitters sitting on one board. It won't throw as far as the Pro-1.

The new M3 is a pretty awesome light to go on a .22 and lights up a big area and also throws quite well but not as far as the Pro-1.

Edited by fenring

I have had a play with some P7's but that's it. I wasn't impressed. I don't like lights that use AAA's. 18650's are the way to go IMO.

In a light of the same size, the light you have is going to be pretty good for .22LR use. A zoom flashlight isn't a bad option if you want decent throw in a small package.

Makes sense mate. The specs on my little 220L MT7 say it throws a beam out to 255m (because it does focus down to a small spot which is all i need while looking through the scope) and I have shot a number of foxes at around 200m which is the limit for my area. However at 200m it is a case of shooting between the lit-up eyes with a very dim body.

Looking at different torch's specs, it seems there arent that many that can throw light out further than say 300m. They have bulk lumen output, which must light up the area around the target a little more, but is that beneficial when looking through a scope?

I would hate to spend another decent sum of money to upgrade and all i get is more grassland lit up around the target... but i would like one to light up the object a little more at 200-250m.

Edit: Just on the subject of batteries, I popped open my super dooper 1000Lumen Hong Kong special and it has the 18650 rechargeable battery in it.

So the MT7 being a much smaller torch, with 4 AAA batteries and 1/4 of the supposed light output, outperforms it convincingly.

I am certain you just can't go of specs , numbers and figures. There is a lot more to an LED torch than advertised numbers it seems.

Reading the Solarforce website, it says some can get hot to touch. Do they have a 24 carat gold heat sink aswell?

Edited by Tippa

Back to the drawing board.

I just canceled my order far to long in arriving and they dont know where it is.

Alibarber, they have the right name.

Delivered my air mail my ring, i bet its on the back of a horse somewhere.

Alibabah is just a site that links you to overseas manufacturers and wholesalers from what i've seen. I've never had any luck with them at all.... Not one message sent to a company has made it to them- I always get replies from some othjer mob in China showing me what they have, not what i queried about.

So can someone reccomend me something for y 204? Out to 300 meters I need to clearly identify a fox or cat as our properties all have lambs ect

Crelant 7G5CS,

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/crelant-7g5cs-xml-u2-side-tactical-switch-ramping-flashlight-p-554.html

And you can add the collimator lens for extra throw too.

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/crelant-7g5cs-collimator-head-p-432.html

Dereelight Night Master (this is the white LED version of the one in the video above)

http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=96&products_id=755

The Solarforce Pro-1 when it becomes available again.