Hunting Boots,what's A Good Brand?

JG.270

G'day all,i've been hunting sambar for a year or so now and am looking at getting a good pair of boots atleast something a bit better then my work boots which is what i have been using,any advice would be good.cheers Josh

I have a pair of Hi Tecs as well and, while they are good for general walking and hunting, they don't provide a great deal of ankle support if you are contouring around steep hills.

My favourite boots so far are my 8" Irish Setters but I'm not sure what model they are. Plenty of ankle support & absolutely waterproof - great for crossing small creeks & swampy areas. I also have a pair of 6" Danner Pronghorns which are OK but not as waterproof or as comfortable as the Irish Setters.

+1 for the Irish Setters.

There is generally a big difference between hiking boots and hunting boots. Hiking boots are made for walking on trails and not for contouring on loose terrain. I found an ENORMOUS difference when I swapped to purpose built hunting boots.

+1 for the irish setters. Plenty of ankle support/tough/waterproof....but mine are ugly as :) . I got mine from cabelas awhile back for $120 delivered while on sale. I also had some hitek altitude' and like has been said, theyre compfy hiking boots I wouldnt use them for hunting.

Another vote for Irish Setters - comfy & waterproof. Heading into 4 seasons for my current pair & they haven't leaked one little bit. I give them a going over with Dubbin once a year.

I have a pair of Hi Tecs as well and, while they are good for general walking and hunting, they don't provide a great deal of ankle support if you are contouring around steep hills.

Agreed, I love my Hi-Tecs, super comfy and can go all day and then all night in them, but they do lack in the ankle support. Looking for something with more ankles support myself, is very difficult though as finding any in my size (6 womens) is frustrating. Going to get a t-shirt printed that says "Women hunt too!!!"

saw a pair of columbia"bugaboots"in rays out doors last week,dont know much about them as far as quality etc goes,but they were light ,probably4- 6 inches above ankle,good rubber cover over toe area and along the side above the sole which was vibram[some dont like this on hunting boots],from memory claimed to be waterproof,insulated,black ,good padding at collar and tongue,a mix of leather and cordura i think and about $200 odd.i currently use a pair of hi tecs and apart from limited ankle support the're good and suit me but will look at a pair of moroka .30's next,not cheap but look the goods.imho budget plays a big part in boot purchase but failed feet=failed trip to me and i have to drive to far to blow it on poor boots[been there done that] and so far the hitecs are doing the job well and fitted the budget at the time.cheers

your right duncs, was going to put it in but thought of it later and thats were i wonder if the vibram soles that dont seem to grip some surfaces in the wet might have something to do with the tread but i've no idea as i havent used them so i cant comment.sometimes my hitecs with a rubber type sole dont grip everything i stand on so the compound might have a lot to do with it as well.the bloke who makes the perfect [or near to it ]sambar boot will do all right i reckon. after "feeling"the weight of a boot i go straight to the sole and look at its pattern,in particular to see what the loose down hill grip might be like as well as sidling grip but each to his own i suppose.my wife has a pair of merrels,more a hiking boot with not real high anlke support but good grip except for wet rocks /logs and they are vibram.they are not a realy chuncky style but suit her,and they would want be for the money they cost.cheers

I have to admit, boots have been the hardest thing for me to find.

To date im still looking, I also think you need to mention socks.

They make a big difference to your feet in a boot and how your feet stand up to the work.

For socks i wear NZ stuff they hug your foot and it does not slide around in the boot. Nice and thick.

Turn them inside out and you will get a few more days out of them.

As for the boot that i have worn for years, POO BOOTS.

But there has to be something better than them out there somewhere.Poo Boots leak until you fill the drain holes up.

They need to be sprayed layer on layer with water proof to try and keep them dry.

They also take time to get on and done up right.

Im still looking.

best of luck with the boots.