Diy E-Caller

Hi everyone, I posted this on another aussie hunting forum, and I wanted to whack it here for everyone to check out.

I have posted the original post, and my follow up post here. Enjoy.

Hi all,
I got the E-Caller bug, and had to build my own.
Still needs some camo paint.
So here it is, parts list:
2 x 30 watt 8 ohm horn speakers (Jaycar $30 each)
1 x 15watt 2 channel amp (Jaycar $30)
1 x 12volt 9Ah SLA battery (battery world $49, I use also for my Blitz 240 spoty)
1 x Handle (bunnings $3)
1 x 10amp light switch (bunnings $4)
1 x foam tape (bunnings $4)
1 x double sided 3M tape (ebay $15 for heaps!)
1 x NADY DKW-1 lapel mic system ($70 shipped ebay)
silicone
PVA glue
crap loads of screws
12mm MDF board (bunnings $6)
Iphone/ipod
2 x 3.5mm male to male stero jack cables (Jaycar $3)
3-4 cable nail things
wire
and solder skills
JOB DONE, very proud, LOUD AS ALL GET OUT!!
should do the trick, looking forward to trying it out soon.
Thanks for looking.
DSC_0652_zps63564f3d.jpg
DSC_0654_zpsd46d65fb.jpg
DSC_0655_zps4fd5a106.jpg
DSC_0657_zps835fd2b1.jpg
DSC_0661_zps9ae5a8de.jpg
DSC_0667_zpsbb656f86.jpg
DSC_0669_zpsc48a0fa4.jpg
DSC_0673_zps6eb1b9f6.jpg
DSC_0676_zpsec41d930.jpg
DSC_0686_zpscb2dc1f1.jpg
DSC_0687_zps9524ded8.jpg
DSC_0677_zps59a6ca47.jpg
Just an update!
Well took out last week. Went for a night run. It was freezing cold, and we didn't see much in the first 20 mins. Decided to pack up and go somewhere else, when we noticed a fox behind us. We had packed up the gear, unloaded the guns, and were walking back, so we were totally un prepared for this late comer. We set back up, but by the time we did, he had gone out of range. We noticed a few more all out of range though. Maybe we didn't wait long enough? It also worked on a bunch of cows, and a few roos as well!
I decided to check weather the recording I had were any good at all. So I took the foxinator out (no guns) just to see if I could call a few in. When I got to my location, the battery had moved and pulled a wire clean out of the amp PC board. That was the end of that. Next mod is to fix down the battery properly. Anyway, I decided to pair up the bluetooth on the phone to the car, and open the windows and play the call track, just from my car on the side of the road.
Let it play for 30 seconds, turned on the spotty, and had a fox within 25 yards staring at me. I continued to let the call tracks play, and called 7 foxes in total toward the car. So the tracks work!
I need to get the foxintor out again.
The only thing I wasn't happy with when using it, was the range (30 yards at best). But I realised that the length of the cable between my transmitter and Iphone, is doubled as my antenna, and it is only 50cm long. I need to make it around 2m I reckon, then it should great good range. Thats the next thing to test.
Chucked on some camo...ish paint today, pretty happy with how it looks, just wana nail a redskin with it!!
Next thing to get is a .204, and I will be sorted. The old 30.06 and .22lr arnt quite the right guns for the job. They will work, but I wnat something in the middle.
Pics for you!
DSC_0735_zps4d7541c5.jpg
DSC_0734_zps9f568ede.jpg
DSC_0733_zps043da9e5.jpg
DSC_0732_zps6df7e4ad.jpg

You don't need a .204 you just need a shovel and some timing.

When a fox gets near that thing, blast them at full volume. That'll stun them so badly that you'll be able to walk over and smash them on the scone with the shovel!! :)

Just so I've got this straight, the mic setup is wireless? And the iPhone connects into the sender end with prerecorded noises? Where'd you get the noises from?

The only thing I'd recommend (other than some thought into miniaturization :) ) is to make sure you fully seal (paint) the MDF, if you havent already. Otherwise it'll suck up water like a dehydrated camel.

But that's bloody great thinking mate!! I love home made stuff like this!! It's how Australia was built!

nice job mate, i've got the idea of just using my iphone with a small desk speaker, i've already dowmloaded some basic calls in mp3, i just havent had a chance to field trial it yet. Nowehere near as elaborate as yours though, make sure you post some hunt reports when you get it out working again!

Thanks Guys,

I have a habit of totally over engineering everything I attempt.

As a result, sometimes I can over look the simplicity of a solution, and even hamper the effort in the first place. For example, I get so focused on switchable dual direction speakers, and mounting the LED properly, and having enough power to run the box for 30 hrs straight, and enough volume to call in a fox from 2 kms away, that I forget about size, and transportability. It is a bit heavy (9.34 kilos with SLA battery, could lose some weight if swapped for a LIPO or something, but cost will go up etc). I might do a review, and make a unit with a few different parts, and smaller. see what I can do. The MDF weighs a lot too. But it flippin works, and is way loud enough.

Duncs, I got the sounds from www.western-rivers.com/

I had to download a sound editor called Audacity, and turn up the gain on each sound I downloaded, and re save it as a MP3 to work on the Iphone at an adequate volume. They were just too quiet.

As for the MDF, yes I do need to seal it. I did think of that, and will be doing it soon.

I actually thought of getting a piece of PVC pipe and fitting 2 circular horn speakers to it, on each end (size permitting), to keep the weight down, without sacrificing on sound quality. We will see.

Thanks for the kind words.

Will update with a pic of dead foxes, and unit having actually working soon.

If you get the sounds from Varmint Al they are a straight save to any mp3 player there the ones that I use on my caller - the quality is very good.

Scoll down and use the ones that you want.

I like the remote lapel mic idea great thinking - what do you expect the remote distance to be at max if you extend the cable

There is a post here somewhere, some time ago about fitting speakers into pipe for quads etc.

Have you got your set up actually running switchable dual direction speakers at the moment.

http://www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

I have confirmed that it totally works well in it's operation, but I have had enough with the portability. I end up just strapping it down to the ute tray and playing from there, with the sender and Iphone in the car. I am still not happy with range.

I lengthened the antenna, but this only gave me about a true 30 yards before the signal dropped out. I need to do something else with the transmission side, I need to rework the components. I think I will have to find something else.

I also want to make a simpler unit with no transmitter.

I will make them for anyone that wants one, once I have a better design. I am thinking, dual direction wireless, single direction wireless, and single direct plug in. those 3 units should cover some basic market here in Aus.

Just need to refine my design.

hhmm.....will come back to this one soon

yeh, but i really want to do it myself, and create something better than the mass produced stuff from china. i am sure it is a good product, but it is for the masses and many countries. I want something made here in Aus, and specified for aus climates, usability and service.

yeh, but i really want to do it myself, and create something better than the mass produced stuff from china. i am sure it is a good product, but it is for the masses and many countries. I want something made here in Aus, and specified for aus climates, usability and service.

Fair enough mate if your happy with it - stick with it, me I couldn't be stuffed mucking around doing all that, I need something that is portable and easy to put in my pack, as for the features the Fox Pro has - well there's isn't anything on the market today that even comes close.

I've seen em in action and I can tell you they definitely work and work very well.

Good luck with yours mate, I hope it works out ok for you - I guess if she doesn't you can always go the Fox Pro. :thumbsu:

thanks mate, we will see what happens. just love tinkering and doing awesome things! LOL

Hey mate, Good work having a crack at doing it yourself. I'm also an owner of a FoxPro and they do work well. I hope you get the crinkles ironed out and get it working how you want. At the end of the day its the sounds you play that make it work.

thats exactly right, what i built is only a conduit for the noise that brings em in. anyway, still watch this space, I will see what I can do. might take some time, but i will get there.