New Spotlight Help Please

Hey guys, been looking at spotlights for a couple weeks now. Pretty keen on the lightforce 170 handheld striker. Seen and heard reviews of some HID bizzo, what the hell does that mean? Is there different types of the 170 striker or are they all the same? Cheers

Hey guys, been looking at spotlights for a couple weeks now. Pretty keen on the lightforce 170 handheld striker. Seen and heard reviews of some HID bizzo, what the hell does that mean? Is there different types of the 170 striker or are they all the same? Cheers

yer mate I have the 170 hand held, but if u can get the hid ul be laughing.

mine is awesome, but the hid is a white light mine is yellow, white is the go mate grab it.

lightforce are great especially in hid, there real tuff, mines takin a beating & still going strong.

Yeah I've only ever heard good things about lightforce. Would like to go the white light over yellow, I will have to ring the lgs and see what they got at what price. Apparently ya can get a conversion kit, so that might be the go later down the track if it's too expensive for me now

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah I've only ever heard good things about lightforce. Would like to go the white light over yellow, I will have to ring the lgs and see what they got at what price. Apparently ya can get a conversion kit, so that might be the go later down the track if it's too expensive for me now Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

let me know how ya go mate

It's true that white HID and some LED light is better to see through a scope but the drawback can be that the HID is too bright on the games eyes at close range and they turn away from the light making them harder to pick up again in cover .

Also it is very easy to hook up a spotlight with reverse polarity in the dark and damage the HID ballast .

Find out if the spotlight has reverse polarity protection .

HID globes do last longer than QH globes but they are harder and way more expensive to buy in an emergency .

For the longer range spotlighting HID is good .

Thats why I'm gonna go for the 170 rather then the 240 blitz, I dont want something too bright to scare em off.

i was told by ian from mackay shooters supplies that if u put the red cap over the lense and make the light red the game doesn't know its in the spot light, or cant see the light.

I wasn't 100% convinced but he proved it with mice up close & roos.

worth looking into, I havnt done it myself, but im goner give it a go.

has anyone else heard this?

I haven't heard that, but have read about people using the red filter with success

Use a red filter alot when shooting spooky foxes helps to make the difference - if you cant get a filter just use red cellophane taped over the front over the light works perfectly. Used once when I was shooting rabbits that wouldn't sit still and didnt have a red filter. Went into town and bought some red cellophane from the local newsagent and used that taped over the front of the light. Cellophane can take a lot of heat. Its used in front of stage lights to project different stage colours - they call it "Gels" so they can charge ten times the price - it is slightly thicker though.

Red filter can work but it can also make it harder to see the detail especially for older eyes . Reduces the range capability of the spotlight .

The mistake that some new shooters make is they keep the light on the game constantly so it can scare it off a bit .

Once you spot a fox keep track of it but don't hurt his eyes with constant light all the time , move the light on and off the fox until the shooter is ready and then put it full on the fox. This also helps pick up other game that may also be in the area when you move the light off the fox .

Also helps to confuse the fox as to wether he has been seen or not . They are very smart .

Thats why I'm gonna go for the 170 rather then the 240 blitz, I dont want something too bright to scare em off. Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The 170 is perfect as it is not too large to handle . I prefer my 170 for out the window spotting and in the paddock , compared to a 240 . The 240 is good on the roof though . I sometimes put a 50 or 55 watt globe in my 170 instead of the 100 watt to save battery power when walking around .

That's another advantage to QH globes easy to switch about and relatively cheap to buy if you crack one.

Another tip is don't touch the glass globe with bare fingers as the contaminates from your fingers can cause the glass to harden with heat and reduce the life of the globe. Use a a clean cloth or cleaning patch to change globes.

Edited by Happy Jack

Yeah I saw a YouTube clip that said not to touch the globe with ya fingers but they didn't say why. I'll just be using it for out the window and walking around too. Can ya buy the battery for the 170 all by itself? Pretty sure I read on here that someone uses a motorbike battery in a back pack and walks around with it, would that be a better option?

Edited by billygoat-gruff

I use a 12 volt 7 amp sealed lead acid battery with a female cigarette lighter plug taped to the top . Then you buy a projecta 12 volt float charger from super cheap or autobarn http://www.projecta.com.au/Products/BatteryChargers/ChargeNMaintain.aspx#!prettyPhoto[iframes]/0/ and fit a male cigarette lighter plug to one set of leads. Then fit a male cigarette lighter plug to the spotlight cable . The spotlight can now be used inside the car and in the field. When in the field I swap to a 55 watt globe which will give about 60 to 70 minutes of good light if you use another small light to walk by .Even at 100 watts you still get 30 to 40 minutes of good bright light there abouts. If you want extra running time and don't mind the extra weight you can buy an 18 to 20 amp 12 volt SLA battery .

Then put the battery in a cheap shoulder bag or back pack of some kind.

You can also get chargers that plug into the cigarette socket in the car and charge it up as you drive around during the day or you could get a unit that charges the small battery from a bigger battery .

Then there is solar panel chargers .

Edited by Happy Jack

I use a 240 blitz hooked up to 12 amp hour sealed battery in a army disposals store shoulder bag, crimped terminals on a female ciggy plug , sweet as, can walk around with it and use it on the quad....

Ended up going the 170 striker with the halogen globe. will be taking it on its first hunt in about 3 weeks. Might grab a battery and cig plug in the mean time, see how we go

The globes used in the Lightforce lights are the old overhead type projector globes - you buy them from a lamp place; they are at least a third of the cost from the LGS or other supplier.

They come in a vertical and horizontal filament. The vertical filament wil give you a tighter light than the horizontal filament globe.

I have seen them alot dearer than that - if you have the lamp details, some are still sold in their original packaging with the lamp details on it - you could contact a lamp supplier for a comparison pricing.