New Spotlight Help Please

The HID lights are superb if you have the dosh to buy them, more light means you can potentially spot more game.

Don't forget, if you find a skittish animal that doesn't want to look at the light (and experienced spotlighters know this happens with halogen or HID, white or "yellow"), use the centre of the beam to find the animal, then swing the beam off centre slightly and use the small amount of wasted light right on thre edge of the beam to keep their eyes glowing and try to stop them looking away.

Lightforce ligfhts are great for this feature because you can focus the reflector to give you a bit more of asofter edge to the projected light. The feature is there for you to use.

Takes away that "HID are too bright, hurts their eyes" story. You can use the super strong beam to find them better, and the softer edge to hold them. If that doesn't work, no light was going to keep them looking at you, some animals are like that and that's just the way it is.

I find this works great, but that's me.

Best to check your getting an original LIghtforce when sourcing one theres a few very similar lights on the market now.

On some of them the refector will discolour and/or peel

I use a  12 volt 7 amp sealed lead acid battery with a female cigarette lighter plug taped to the top .   Then you buy a projecta 12 volt float charger from super cheap or autobarn  http://www.projecta.com.au/Products/BatteryChargers/ChargeNMaintain.aspx#!prettyPhoto[iframes]/0/ and fit a  male cigarette lighter plug to one set of leads.  Then fit a male cigarette lighter plug to the spotlight cable .  The spotlight can now be used inside the car and in the field.  When in the field I swap to a 55 watt globe which will give about 60 to 70  minutes of good light if you use another small light to walk by  .Even at 100 watts you still get 30 to 40  minutes of good bright light there abouts. If you want extra running time and don't mind the extra weight you can buy an 18 to 20 amp 12 volt SLA battery .

Then put the battery in a cheap shoulder bag or back pack of some kind.

You can also get chargers that  plug into the cigarette socket in the car and charge it up as you drive around during the day or you could get a unit that charges the small battery from a bigger battery  .

Then there is solar panel chargers .

I know this is an old thread but is something like this ok happy Jack? They're are pretty small and light :)Posted Image

That battery looks the money alright. Is it sealed?

There are guys here who are almost addicted to the newer LED lights for walkabout and I agree, there are some amazing tiny lights that throw 2-300m (useable in a scope) which if we are honest, nobody I know can accurately shoot from a hasty on-foot position at game at night at even close to that range.

And man, some have 3-4 18650 batteries and they are incrediblly powerful and light, can mount to your gun and hardly be noticed. Reflectors only up to 50mm in diameter anfd smaller than the old D Maglites, only 25mm diameter bodies... and no batteries to have to separately carry or leak.

Fenring seems to have his info togther on what is the go on all this and it's addictive.

I'm not sure if it's sealed actually, doesn't say it is in the description unless I missed it. Yeah I bought two little led torches for my 22 that throw about 50m which is all I need for the 22. Maybe I should look at a decent torch instead of a big battery for my centrefire.

all this and it's addictive.

Definitely! :thumbsu:

I'm not sure if it's sealed actually, doesn't say it is in the description unless I missed it. Yeah I bought two little led torches for my 22 that throw about 50m which is all I need for the 22. Maybe I should look at a decent torch instead of a big battery for my centrefire.

Its worth it. If you haven't seen some of the new LED gear you will be totally amazed. Sure, a 12v battery and traditional spotlight will give you a bit more distance but not that much more. Given the weight factor, and the speed in advances in battery and emitter (LED) technology, it won't be long before they overtake the old stuff completely.

Go to here http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com and get yourself a M9, battery extender (so you can run two batteries), four 18650 batteries and a charger. Then get a bracket to attach it to your scope and you're away. Bloody great stuff!

I'm actually watching a solarforce m9 on eBay haha. That link isn't working on my phone, I'll check it out on the computer later tonight. I'd definitely rather carry a little torch around then the 170 lightforce.

Red filter can work but it can also make it harder to see the detail especially for older eyes . Reduces the range capability of the spotlight .

The mistake that some new shooters make is they keep the light on the game constantly so it can scare it off a bit .

Once you spot a fox keep track of it but don't hurt his eyes with constant light all the time , move the light on and off the fox until the shooter is ready and then put it full on the fox. This also helps pick up other game that may also be in the area when you move the light off the fox .

Also helps to confuse the fox as to wether he has been seen or not . They are very smart .