Which Handheld Gps Unit?

gixxerdims

About 2 months ago i went for a bit of a shoot in state forest.

The guy i went with had a handheld GPS unit, which i didn't think was necessary at the time.

After walking a few hundred metres through bush, navigating through some thick bushes and up and down some hills, although i felt like i knew which way the car was, he informed me the car was actually 120° to my left.

The whole time we were walking back to it i thought "surely this can't be right, i reckon its the other way"

and sure enough - there was the car.

It made me realise how easily i could get lost in forests, and i've decided i want to get a handheld GPS.

I've been looking around, the ones i've seen are the Garmin etrex 20 and etrex 30.

Does the Etrex 20 have no compass at all??

Just wondering what other models to look at?

I suppose what i'm after is something that can have maps, and something that has an electronic compass in it too, to show me which direction i need to be heading etc.

A lot of GPS devices don't have "compasses" in them, but they do turn a compass rose to show the direction you are moving. So by walking in a straight line, you can determine your direction and then adjust.
The units with built in compass automatically adjust that same compass rose based on the internal electromagnetic sensor.

I have a Garmin GPS 60, one of the original in the range now expanded to the GPS 62 series. These new ones all have colour screens with full mapping etc, some have compass and barometer sensors in them depending on the model.

One feature you want to look for is the antenna, some units use a patch antenna. The GPS 60 and 62 range all use a quad helix antenna which is far more efficient and gives you better reception under thick tree cover and in hilly terrain.

This all being said, it's still important to have a backup plan because GPS does fail.
I had one instant where I had very poor reception, at night. We knew the direction of camp from the last GPS fix, so out came the compass and I taught one of the young guys how to navigate on that. He got us to within 50m of camp, enough that we could see the fire with ease.

Plan C was knowing that if we walked in a straight line in any direction we'd hit a road (small area ringed by roads) and could follow that around to the camp site.

The first step I do, is turn the GPS on, make a note on paper of where the car/camp is located and then start walking. I then try not to rely on the GPS to get back. But I know if I get stuck, it's there.

I've got the garman 62s, great. You need the topo maps.

I recommend the rino 650, yes expensive but if the other people you go hunting with have one, it shows you where they are. Very useful. These take the topo maps aswell, I will get one, one day.

eBay is the place to get these. They do pop up around the $400 but got to wait otherwise between $500-$600

I've got a Garmin Map60 too. Can highly recommend it. Put the Shonky Topo Maps on it (they're a free download) and I know I'm safe anywhere in Aus.

I've seen the Rhinos in action and they do look handy if you've got mates with them too. Bit annoying for others around on the same UHF channel though.

Ive got a rino650 and they are a great unit. I bought it from dick smith when they had the 2 for 1 offer. Apparently when they discontinued them at dickies they sold them off for $50 each!!!!

Duncs, your position, name and logo are transmitted to anyone in range theres no security. Worked well at the gatta, phil picked up my position from camp.

About 2 months ago i went for a bit of a shoot in state forest.

The guy i went with had a handheld GPS unit, which i didn't think was necessary at the time.

After walking a few hundred metres through bush, navigating through some thick bushes and up and down some hills, although i felt like i knew which way the car was, he informed me the car was actually 120° to my left.

The whole time we were walking back to it i thought "surely this can't be right, i reckon its the other way"

and sure enough - there was the car.

It made me realise how easily i could get lost in forests, and i've decided i want to get a handheld GPS.

I've been looking around, the ones i've seen are the Garmin etrex 20 and etrex 30.

Does the Etrex 20 have no compass at all??

Just wondering what other models to look at?

I suppose what i'm after is something that can have maps, and something that has an electronic compass in it too, to show me which direction i need to be heading etc.

Hunting is not like casual bush walking. During hunting a lot of your concentration is on the hunt and even the best bushman in the world can still get lost or geographically embarrassed at times . Also never venture into the deep bush relying totally on someone else's navigational ability . You should have your own capability even if it's only a single saved way point in your own GPS unit of where the car is or where camp is , whatever way point you need that gets you back safe . Even the cheapest GPS can save your ass if you are not the main navigator .

If you are the main navigator , like for yourself or a group then a better GPS with maps is a good idea. A Garmin of some kind is the way to go .

Edited by Happy Jack

Garmin Gps 62s, great little unit. Also can send your location/waypoints to other garmin units.

My mate has a rhino unit not sure what model but its with UHF built in and hes not happy. Apparently the uhf is below the standard quality and the battery dont last very long.

I had one of the little Garmin eTrex units for a few years & it was great for finding your way back to camp or to the car but it didn't have maps.

I upgraded late last year to the Garmin GPSMAP 62s - a great unit with heaps of functions.

Just need to find a good pouch that fits it well - has anyone found one other than the standard black with clear plastic front??

I had one of the little Garmin eTrex units for a few years & it was great for finding your way back to camp or to the car but it didn't have maps.

I upgraded late last year to the Garmin GPSMAP 62s - a great unit with heaps of functions.

Just need to find a good pouch that fits it well - has anyone found one other than the standard black with clear plastic front??

Fits perfectly in the top pocket of a SamHuntVic blaze jacket :thumbsu:

Mine came with a clip. I clip it to my SamHuntVic back pack just below the shoulder. Edited by samburstalker

I was using that clip when I lost my first one at eildon...

Yep, I don't trust clips either & the clip on that thing as a right bloody PITA - twist it this way, pull this bit out, stick your tongue out to the right.....