Foxpro Wildfire Help Needed

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting any foxes or cats to respond to my Foxpro calls. I'm using sounds like: Lightning Jack, Bay bee cottontail, jackrabbit distress,dying crow,crowfight and nutty nuthatch to name a few. The strange thing is I'm having no luck with the foxpro after 15-20 mins, but once I use a Tenterfield I have got fox or cats within minutes from the same hide. I know getting the foxes or cats is the main thing and as long as I'm getting them it should'nt matter, but I really like the foxpro and would like to use it alot more so if anyone has some sounds they use or techniques they use for their foxpro, please help.

PS I'm also considering getting a decoy for my foxpro so I would like to hear from those of you that use one in conjunction with your foxpro.

Regards, Pete.

I find that at different times of the year they are interested in different things.
On many occasions when we've seen foxes either in the bush or light we've often had to try tenterfield, scotch, button and mouse squeak before we've got their interest.
I'm sure there is a pattern I just haven't bothered trying to figure out what works best when...although scotch does work best I find early jan-late feb when the young leveret's are on the ground, even call up the odd adult hare.

Its mating season in a lot of areas at the moment so i dont think they have mutch on their mind except a bit of humpin'.

They still have to eat but I find at this time I have more success with the mating calls on the fox pro.

It took me a few months to get used to using the Fox Pro opposed to a whistle.

You say that you have Foxes or Cats coming to the same hide after using the Fox Pro, Maybe they are coming from a long distance and it just happens that the Fox Pro got them coming and they make it to where you can see them after that 15 or 20 Mins ?

Also for example there is no use using say a Rabbit or Hare call when there are no Hares or Rabbits on the property...

I have had Great luck with all the calls you mentioned.

Hope some of this helps.

I don't own an electronic caller however I do know something about sound production and animals hearing .

Is it possible that there is white noise sound in those calls that's above our hearing but able to be heard by say a fox in addition to the call we hear . So that may make the call foreign , scary or not enticing to the animal .

When you blow a tenterfield or button whistle it could be a more pure sound .

When someone says he has XYZ call , that does not mean that his XYZ call has been produced with exactly the same sound quality and purity as another call with the same name .

Just a theory .

At this time of year in the South the food supply is running low for fox's so some should come to a whistle or caller .

I have shot fox's from April to September with varing degrees of success. If they are hungry they should come.

Edited by Happy Jack

They still have to eat but I find at this time I have more success with the mating calls on the fox pro.

It took me a few months to get used to using the Fox Pro opposed to a whistle.

You say that you have Foxes or Cats coming to the same hide after using the Fox Pro, Maybe they are coming from a long distance and it just happens that the Fox Pro got them coming and they make it to where you can see them after that 15 or 20 Mins ?

Also for example there is no use using say a Rabbit or Hare call when there are no Hares or Rabbits on the property...

I have had Great luck with all the calls you mentioned.

Hope some of this helps.

Yeah we have heaps of Rabbit, hares and crows on this property thats why I thought the calls I used would do the job, I guess I'll persist and see how it goes.

I dare say that if both our sounds come from Fox Pro then they are the same.

Yes they could be but are they contaminated with high frequency white noise that we can't hear but the animals can ?

It is possible .

Animals can see things we can't see and hear things we can't hear .

Some game calls could be electronically produced to sound like the real thing to us !

Maybe the good ones are recordings of actual animals .

I don't know it's just a theory .

Josh - what mating calls are you using mate? I reckon some sort of fox on heat type one would work well at this time of year. Do they have anything like that in the Fox Pro Sound Library or is this one from somewhere else?

Cheers mate

Don't let it play non stop. Go for 1 or 2 minutes then mute for a few. Do that a few times then switch sounds. Start off quiet and then get louder so you don't spook anything close.

I called a big dog fox in a few weeks ago. Tried 2 rabbit distress calls then red fox rally and finally rat distress is when I saw him exit thick scrub no more than 10 meters from me. What worked? Stuffed if I know but he was keen on the rat call. Perhaps the others got his attention first.

Don't let it play non stop. Go for 1 or 2 minutes then mute for a few. Do that a few times then switch sounds. Start off quiet and then get louder so you don't spook anything close.

I called a big dog fox in a few weeks ago. Tried 2 rabbit distress calls then red fox rally and finally rat distress is when I saw him exit thick scrub no more than 10 meters from me. What worked? Stuffed if I know but he was keen on the rat call. Perhaps the others got his attention first.

Nice one mate, I'll have to get on the foxpro site and maybe get some more sounds as mine just has the 35 standard sounds that came with it

Yeah possible. Not that I know much about the topic...

My FoxPro works so i'm happy.

Best of luck with it P Mac let us know how it goes.

will do, thanks Josh ive got to go to the farmers house this weekend as the Foxes have been getting his chooks and he's not a happy camper. So I really don't want to fail. I've heard Big Maxy has had luck with some bird calls so I'll try those aswell