Torch Expert Help

Duncs

I need the wisdom of the torch experts.

I've had a Solar Force M8 for a while now and it's ace! I put two 18650 rechargeables in it and it does the job.

They are 3.7V each so that means they're pumping 7.4V through the head unit. Since it is rated to 9V, all is as it should be.

Last night I tried putting two of the half sized rechargeables in it (I dont have one with me now so I cant remember the model number). They are also rated to 3.7V but at a lower MAh rating (so they wont last as long). That would allow me to get the same output but for a shorter time.

Or so I thought.

It did just that - but only ran for about 5 seconds. I could turn it off for a minute and get it to come back on but, again only for 5 seconds.

The batteries are from Solar Force as well so they should be good ones. I have 4 of them so I mixed them around but got the same result.

Any ideas? I figure some fail safe is tripping somewhere either in the battery or torch head but I don't know why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

By halve size, I assume you mean 16340 or CR123A batteries.
I also assume you have the extension tube removed for that.

The mathematics say it should work, but that assumes the batteries have a charge in them!!!!

If they are rechargeable batteries, have you charged them before use. If they aren't, you may have just gotten duds.
Do you have any means to test the actual voltage on the batteries? If so then share here. Also put them in the light and turn it on, then immediately test the voltage again. You should see a much lower voltage.

Give me a little credit, DJ - they are charged.

Measuring the voltage is a good idea though.

Yup - they are 16340s.

Voltage is between 3.92 and 4.03. I put two reading 3.92V in and after about 5 secs it turns off. Voltage on both after immediately taking them out is 3.88 but crept back up to 3.92 after a minute.

So that makes it sound like its not the battery protecting itself? So probably the head?

Hmmm - bugger. It still works fine with the 18650s so I'll stick with that.

I've ordered a K3 as well. Sally wants to know where you live, Fen (sorry, I lagged after a disappointingly small amount of torture). My advice is to leave the country. Quickly.

I'll try them in the Pro1 and M3 and see how they go - I should have thought of that as well.