Spotlight Connector Burns Fingers

foxn

hi all after some advice. Lightforce spotty cigarette connector gets way to hot red hot that is(going by the burn blister on my finger).I have changed it 3 times now and it still is to hot also tried in different female connectors and it makes no difference.HELP ME PLEASE WISE FORUM MEMBERS

thanks for quick response.the wire used was 4mm same as on it and fuse is 10amp .no idea what the plug is as it does not say but it is a narva brand

Wire thickness and wire RESISTANCE are two different things.

The heat is being caused by resistance. What is causing the resistance I don't know, it could be a different type or quality of wire, or a poor connection.
How was the connection made? Solder, crimp or screw type connection?

Check and if you can redo the connections and then try again. If that fails, remove the cig plug and connect using the same wire direct to a battery.
If it still heats up, change out the wire of something rated for 15 amps (a 100w globe uses 8.33 amp, but the wire won't be much thicker and higher rated is always better).

just tried straight to battery(7ah sealed type) leads did not get hot must be cigarette plug . I will get anderson plugs and try them .thanks to all that answered

It is most likely the wiring to the female cigarete lighter plug not the plug it's self . I found that most vehicles had light wiring to the plugs.

Theres a few ways to fix it .

1/ Run new heavier wire from the existing cig plug directly to the battery and incorporate a 15 amp fuse in the line .

2/ If that's too hard to access then buy a new female cig plug , inline type and run new wire from it to the battery with fuse .

3/ Run new wires from better plugs direct to the battery .

4/ Run the spotlight wires direct to the battery with aligator clips , out a window and under the bonnet , make sure the aligator clips can't come off or short on anything .

I ran 100 watt spot lights for years from two extra panel mounted cigarete plugs that were wired directly to the battery . The plugs don't look much but they can handle 10 amp no worries but they do have to fit tight . 100 watt -:- 12 volt = 8.3 amp. It's most likely the wiring behind the plug that can't handle the current or the contacts are loose or it is possible that the cigarete plug is just a bad design .

The cars wiring should be on a 10 amp fuse and be capable of supplying 120 watts but it seems it's not doing it .

Better plugs is a good idea but it reduces flexibility for me as I have portable power packs that have cigarete plugs so it hard to swap.

I would try option 2 as it would replace all the cars sytem .