My Knife

gafloss

After making knives for my son & a friend, I thought it was time to make myself one.

Indian Damascus blade with a Coolabah handle finished with mosaic pins & Tung Oil. The sheath is actually really dark brown.

gallery_8822_98_89271.jpg

gallery_8822_98_62379.jpg

[/url]

gallery_8822_98_109495.jpg

gallery_8822_98_109330.jpg

gallery_8822_98_26972.jpg

This is the one I made for a friend

gallery_8822_98_56640.jpg

I like the mosaic pins there Geoff, go really well with the blade. Lovely work there. Does it cut stuff and stay sharp?

Grant.

Seems to hold an edge pretty well, Grant. Shaves arms & slices paper with ease - time will tell how it works on dead animals.

Yet another nice one mate! The texture in the wood looks great, I love the look of burl.

Im interested how your damascus holds up, Ive heard very mixed reports on the quality of the indian stuff.

Im interested how your damascus holds up, Ive heard very mixed reports on the quality of the indian stuff.

Yeh, it will be interesting to see how they go. The Indian ones are good for newbies, like me, to practice on before moving into the more expensive damascus blades. I've been eyeing-off some better quality ones but want to get a few more knives under my belt before investing the $$ in them.

Thanks, guys.

These blades were from eBay!

I tried to work out how long it takes to make one this morning. It's hard to guess as I potter around & do a bit whenever I can and I don't really have much in the way of tools. A lot of the shaping is done by hand & measured by eye. The fact that I'm a born procrastinator doesn't help either - a lot of time gets wasted um-ing & ah-ing. So, I suppose it takes me about 8-9 hours including the sheath. This is only my third one so I hope to get a bit faster with practice.

9 hrs???!!!! I was expecting weeks!

Well, 9 hrs may be a little optimistic. That sheath took one day, with many breaks, while watching the cricket & a trip to the shops with the kids. The time is spread out too , while waiting for glues & stains to dry etc.

You can get "alabama damascus" from the US on ebay and theyre stuff is top notch as far as quality goes. Youd need a forge or a good eye with a torch to heat treat prorperly if you get a billet for stock removal. They also have shaped blades, theyre redneck pattern looks good to me.