Which Gps

howahunter

Ordered Garmin Rino 2 for $599 deal from Johnny Appleseed, to good to refuse especially as you get uhf built in as well. Just waiting for arrival tommorrow via courier. Have the garmin 72 also and has served me well to date but time for unit upgrade.

If you hunts with mates who don't have a rhino they'll be swearing at you when you get back to camp. Either that or they'll have turned their UHF off.

The rhino sends its location signals over the UHF channel its tuned to so all non-rhino UHFs in range get regular noise.

Great feature but its bloody annoying. They should use another channel (ie channel + 1 or something).

i`ve got a garmin extreme 20, it`s awesome, simple and eat AA batteries, and a GME uhf radio, i`d rather have two units than one combined, in case you break it, i had an original garmin for 12 years, it was good, the new one with oz topo maps is all you`d ever need and around $170 now. happy hunting (((-;

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx, had it for a few years.

Not flash like the new ones, but is water proof, indestructible, lasts ages on only 2 AAs and in my research is the best you can get for the price (at that time).

Buy it loaded with the official Oz & NZ maps on Ebay for a few hundred and you will never need to touch it again IMO.

That's what I did anyway and it's more than I've ever needed for hunting and hiking. Even has live driving directions.

Make sure you get the HCX though, as it is much more accurate than the previous.

Only thing on most of these handhelds is that it's a pain to use sometimes when you're so used to the HD and touch screen of your iPhone...

Edited by Cobra Clutch

i`ve got a garmin extreme 20, it`s awesome, simple and eat AA batteries, and a GME uhf radio, i`d rather have two units than one combined, in case you break it, i had an original garmin for 12 years, it was good, the new one with oz topo maps is all you`d ever need and around $170 now. happy hunting (((-;

I don't know how accurate they are, but that is damn good value!

Ordered a Garmin GPSMAP 62S today from ryda.com for $298, spoke with Johnny Appleseed staff to see if they could price match and best they could do was $350.

Interestingly the JA staff said that $298 is below cost so there was no way they could match it, obviously made my decision to purchase from ryda a pretty simple one.

Ordered Garmin Rino 2 for $599 deal from Johnny Appleseed, to good to refuse especially as you get uhf built in as well. Just waiting for arrival tommorrow via courier. Have the garmin 72 also and has served me well to date but time for unit upgrade.

wen u get them can u send some pics in mode.

also is it water proof ?

found the old mans Garmin gpsmap 76 reckon it's about 10-15yr old popped in 2 batteries and it works lol, this was a b/day present for him when he had the boat reckon he used it 3 times. would a gps this age be still viable being it's been in a draw for 99% of the time :huh: , as i don't have 1 yet.

GPS hasn't changed much over the years. It will still work, but will be lacking a lot of features and won't have as good a reception.

Turn it on, leave it outside for about 15 minutes and it'll connect to some satelites and download the new data set.
From then on, it'll be able to connect and get a fix faster.

Your modern mobile phone is actually becoming a better GPS then most GPS units are. My HTC can connect to BOTH the American GPS and the Russian GLONASS networks at the same time to get a better fix. Something that my Garmin GPS60 can't do.

On the other hand, my Garmin is more weather proof, rugged and has a better battery life.