Latest One

gafloss

Here's my latest knife. Still learning heaps as I go along - mostly what not to do...again - doh!

This one is a Santa Fe skinner, brass bolster & the handle is Californian Buckeye ( Horse Chestnut). Edge: 90mm Overall: 230mm

Part of a 4 knife batch to go to Mongolia in May. 2 more to go...

gallery_8822_98_118035.jpg

gallery_8822_98_30626.jpg

gallery_8822_98_72249.jpg

A visiting researcher saw the knife I made for my boss & asked me to make some for his family who farm around Ulaanbaatar.

Must be sick of cheap Chinese crap, just like the rest of us.

very nice knife,nice wood and impressive sheath.what would that be worth?.cheers

If you have to ask, it means you can't afford it! :P

No, probably around the $135 mark. I'm not really keen on selling them at this stage as I don't think they are good enough...yet. I was pressured into selling these ones. Most of them, the ones I can part with, are given away as gifts.

Maybe Geoff could donate one to the gatta trip if he isntgoing to make it this year ;) . Looks really wel made, I really like the sheath design too as theres little chance of it falling outa there and still provides quick access.

In that case it's almost time to quit your day job.

Yeh, I wish!

Less materials, it means I'd be working for about $6.70 per hour (42 hrs/week just to pay the rent).

Maybe Geoff could donate one to the gatta trip if he isntgoing to make it this year ;)

The Gafloss Memorial Raffle Prize - Hmm, we'll see.

Well it's about time you banged your name or mark into the blade I reckon.

Grant

I don't want to use a clunky stamp so I'm looking into electrochemical etching - will have to sell a few knives to pay for the setup though.

The Gafloss Memorial Raffle Prize - Hmm, we'll see.

I don't want to use a clunky stamp so I'm looking into electrochemical etching - will have to sell a few knives to pay for the setup though.

The diy etcher can be made for under $100. I managed to make mine without electrocuting myself. Google "blue lightning stensils" he does great quality at a very reasonable price.

at that price very affordable,certainly look good enough to market, to me, from the pics.just curious where they would sit amongst commercial available knives price wise,people seem to not mind paying preminum prices for quality items that work well.cheers

The diy etcher can be made for under $100. I managed to make mine without electrocuting myself. Google "blue lightning stensils" he does great quality at a very reasonable price.

Yes, I found Blue Lighning the other day - just waiting on a price from an Aussie mob.

I still don't know if I trust myself to make my own power unit. I found a couple of plans & will price the components next week.