Canadian Skinner Mk1 & Mk2

gafloss

I've been using a DH Russell Canadian skinner for a few years now & have grown fond of the shape. So, when I found a few similarly shaped blades on line, I jumped on them.

Here's the first - a prototype. American desert ironwood handle with brass mosaic pins. My first go at filing thumb notches so they are a bit uneven. Not the best photos either but ......

gallery_8822_98_80101.jpg

gallery_8822_98_200141.jpg

gallery_8822_98_221408.jpg

Try a square file on the notches Geoff. Makes things a bit easier. Just get the spacing right.

Texta and vernier mate.

Thats a nice bit of gear.

From what i see and hear Whistler. This knife making thing is a bit addictive.

Good looking knife Gafloss, i have been thinking about making a skinner myself, i do like the look of the one you have made a lot.

I will try and get a blank in tool steel or a similar hi carbon steel if i can find one.

Whistler, Richard is right it is addictive, best part is you can do a little bit as and when you feel like it, but as it takes shape it is very difficult to stop working on them.

Paul

Maaan - you've got that blade polished up to a perfect sheen, Geoff. Must have taken some time.

Pity all it has to reflect is that horrendous table cloth! ;)

Loving those pins too.

Horrendous table cloth!!! That's my Momma's favrit :o

Actually, it's my shamagh.

The next one of these skinners, which is just about finished is an absolute ripper & worthy gift for it's intended recipient. I won't post pics until he has received it, though.

I can vouch for what it looks like.

It is a nice bit of gear. Did you use the white stick or the green Geoff?

The reason im asking is that i have to get a mop and the goo. I was intending to get one of each.

The weather turned lousy today :thumbsu:

So i had to put myself into the sin bin = (SHED) Wife and kids were out on the shovels moving dirt.

I seen the funniest thing in my life today. 3 POMS and the dog trying to light a fire. End result was my kindling is gone, the stove gas lighters x 2 are out of gas, 4 fast burn briquets are still in the fire, un burnt. All i seen was smoke from green wood and half dead grass. The dog just sat there in the smoke looking at me as if to say WTF is going on Dad. I had to walk away for safety reasons. What safety reason you may ask. A shovel over the back of the head.

You were right Geoff about handles. Ill send some pics on to you tonight.

At the moment I'm just using the green compound on a spiral sewn wheel. You could get it smoother/brighter but there's no point, really - not on a knife you are going to actually use.

Don't forget - if you are using different compounds, get a separate buffing wheel for each.

I can only make them as fast as I'm going. I'll also have to sell a few to keep up my supplies of consumables.

So, if you don't receive one in the mail next week, you might have to wait just a little longer.

Doug has received his knife so I can post a couple of pics now.

This is Canadian Skinner Mk2 - 1095 carbon steel, Yellow Box burl handle with brass mosaic pins.

Despite a few issues with the ultra-dry air up here causing some shrinkage of the wood, I'm really happy with how this one turned out. The camera flash makes the sheath look more red than it really is.

gallery_8822_98_32780.jpg

gallery_8822_98_147729.jpg

gallery_8822_98_311574.jpg

gallery_8822_98_299116.jpg

gallery_8822_98_149198.jpg

Once again very nice mate! You must have went through half a stick of green chrome to get that polish on it.

LOL, I used a bit but 1095 isn't that hard to polish up. Doug's only going to scratch it anyway :zoro:

Thank you Geoff, I really appreciate the knife, I will take great care of it!

Not only do I appreciate the knife, but your friendship as well, I'm very thankful to have you and the rest of the Aushunt guys that I have hunted with over the last 6 years as mates, there are a few of the boys from this site that have helped me through a sh1t stage in my life, weather it was taking me for a hunt or a clay shoot or just lending an ear, I thank you !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1