Feild Knife Position

optic

Just wondering what is the preference for the position of a knife on your belt.

Example.

If your right handed, do you prefer your knife to hang vertical. Handle leaning forward or handle leaning back.

The same question applies to the lefties in here.

Next question is.

Do you like having your knife loose on you belt or a tight fit, so that it does not flop around.

Right handed, vertical & not flopping around.

I'll often just have the sheathed knife in my pack or in the car so it doesn't get in the way - especially if getting in & out of the car to open gates etc.

I had a short (2.5in blade) knife that came with a horizontal belt strap sheath that worked great, not a problem when jumping in and out of the motor,

Ive been thinking of trying to replicate it as it dissapeared a few years ago!!,

I dont think it would work with a 4inch blade and full handle but for a skinner type knife with a shorter handle it would be perfect IMO.

Paul

Normally carry a fixed blade on my right side vertical when hunting with a Leatherman on my left side. At all other times (other then when passing security checkpoints) I carry a Leatherman in one of three positions. Left leg utility pocket, right side belt or if I'm wearing my holster, left side belt.

I normally also have a folding knife in my pack.

If it's worth having, it's worth having a spare.
If it's worth having a spare, it's worth having two spares!!!

I keep the light little Opinel No.8 on my right hip and other sheathed knives in my pack. Got really sick of the rifle butt knocking on a larger knife and getting stuck on door handles and chairs.

Grant.

• Like 1

Or left in camp?

These days the knifes are all on a belt. It only comes out if im butchering. Otherwise i have one in my pocket.

If im on the quad. There is a selection of them. Far to many get lost if you dont have a standard. Belts in the car. Rifles banging them. Leaving them laying on the ground. There would be a thousand stories to tell about bloody knifes.

Just a quick update, ive got a mate of mine making me a knife sheath that will fit horizontally onto a belt (or vertical on a rifle sling. got to decide what knife im going to remodel/butcher to fit it when i get it back. Ill post some piccys in a couple of weeks when its all done.