Show Us Your Favourite Field Knife

gafloss

Heres mine nothing special diamond steele, tramotina, leatherman for pig work.

Lightweight trips, paranta, knife fork and leatherman .

Got lots of nice knives but these work. Lost a few.Cheers Mick

file_zps2cd5da16.jpg

file_zps60732307.jpg

post-20165-141536177183_thumb.jpg

My newish pocket knife- to replace my old mild steel middleman jack that I carried everyday for over 20years. Still not overly impressed with the CV steel 'Case' but it's growing on me. The old timers blade had worn away on it's bum from opening and closing a million times a day- it no longer snapped shut- it eventually stabbed me twice in the thigh before I started looking for a replacement. Hard to find "non-stainless" knives any more.

The mild steel Old Timer- I bought it cause it looked dangerously cool (I think I was around 17/18 then) and it was quite a few years later- with a blunt knife in hands I actually used it and then realised it was actually pretty damn good once I changed my method. I've often though about knocking that tip off and making it into a drop point so I can use the back edge against the gut/chest. Used for skinning and gutting and rarely sharpened on anything other than a coffee cup/window edge.

The old Edgebrand. I keep it to remind myself that I once thought big knives were cool.

The twins. One survived ten years use in the military and has removed hundreds of donkeys/horse legs for dog meat and cutting slabs of buffalo steaks. I lost it on exercise back in the 90s- so at the next opportunity- I did a run into town and bought a shiny new replacement- about halfway back- the old one slide out from under the 110's seat. These are the only stainless steel knives that I own that aren't dedicated kitchen knifes. 2" shorter and they be almost perfect (even if they do get a bit slippery when bloody).

If I was to sell them all- it'd be the oldest Buck I'd miss the most even if it was nothing but sentimental reasons (although I am currently missing the middleman jack).

Tex.

Sent using a piece of wet string between 2 paper cups.

hey guys, bit of a late reply...

my favourite one is this Muela Mirage.

muela mirage

I use it for sticking pigs, taking out jaws etc.
I normally only gut the animals I take home, do the rest at home in the coldroom, so no field dressing for me.
I got a set of Victorynox butchering knifes for that.
just bought this little cristmas present for myself,
probably cheap and nasty, but looks well made, good in the hand and easy to carry.
probably wont hold an edge though....

knife

but good enough to carry when shooting pigs or dogs, just to take the trophy or scalp.....
cheers
dutchy

post-20042-0-00241800-1419912191_thumb.jpg

Don't know if the pic will work (first time) but these are what I use. I reckon butcher knives are the go because they are pretty cheap and feel good in the hand. Also the steel is really good. The knife at the top is also good but starts to rust if you look at it funny. It was already rusty when I pinched it from the old man 20 years ago. Actually I don't know anything about it, the stamp on the blade is illegible. I think one of the words is 'England'. Any of you guys seen one before?. Ta.

Nice set. I use butcher knifs all the time. Some worn like yours but ill keep using them till the blade breaks off.

That hunting knife would clean up a treat. It would need to be linished and polished but it would look great. Does it have a sheaf?

I picked this Old Timer up out of the scrub in the middle of nowhere on a hunt about 15 years ago and got 264's dad to make me shief for it

I spose it is one of my favourites but if your like me you can never have too many knives althought the lovely lady would tend to disagree with that statement

As far as field knives go I tend to stick to my basics such as Victorinox and a Stanley knife for large game and I have a 4" folding blade Camillus for small game

post-20653-0-99781600-1420457857_thumb.jpg

I picked this Old Timer up out of the scrub in the middle of nowhere on a hunt about 15 years ago and got 264's dad to make me shief for it

I spose it is one of my favourites but if your like me you can never have too many knives althought the lovely lady would tend to disagree with that statement

As far as field knives go I tend to stick to my basics such as Victorinox and a Stanley knife for large game and I have a 4" folding blade Camillus for small game

That looks like it could be a good workng knife.

I'm hopeful of this becoming my new favorite, xmas pres from spousal unit.

557ce286af2c069aace8738bb4b61a24.jpg

And its made in the USA, thats pretty good as so many US knife company's have moved production offshore.

Just a tip Waldo. Can you or have you held one in your hand.

I have found that some of the grips are made for strange shaped fingers and the knife just does not feel right when you grip it.

It is a nice looking knife as is the Dewey.

Just a tip Waldo. Can you or have you held one in your hand.

I have found that some of the grips are made for strange shaped fingers and the knife just does not feel right when you grip it.

Yeh, it feels good in the hand Optic. The young fella was apparently with my wife when she got it so he had his two cents worth of opinion in there too. Time will tell how it performs after the almighty KABOOM!