Id This Sword

Fireman_DJ

Somebody I know has a sword that he found while fishing and wants to identify.

He cleared it through police that it's not reported as stolen/used in a crime and is stored in his gun safe.

It's believed to a a youth training sword.

Any information would be appreciated.

bb5fa97affc1a551388fa62c194d7d7e.jpgb3fc134beaf2cfeb141a097bc182d1f8.jpg559654cc56f2fb45e051565283effe44.jpg161b53e29913d7bb007617e607355f6f.jpg

Not familiar with the term Korean fishing sword.

Yeah - not on wikipedia which is strange.

I've got a book here on them. Story goes that Korean fishermen used to use long knives traditionally for their normal fishing duties - dispatching larger fish. But over time, as more and more fishing boats were being "lost" at sea, rumours of pirates got around and the knives got longer until they were basically shortish swords.

I'm paraphrasing of course. At some stage ninjas went for a poke around in what is now northern Korea. The North Koreans knocked them off, kept their equipment and started working on making copies. Koreans back then were generally shorter that the Japanese so they made the swords shorter - more like a katana I guess. The making slowly filtered south and as they did, their use and manufacture became more common. Why buy and carry two knives when one could do the job of both?

Incidentally they made "sharpening swords" too which were the (really big) precursors to the common sharpening steeles we use today. Many a new Korean fisherman was rendered disabled by trying to sharpen their fishing sword with their sharpening sword and losing fingers, hands, limbs or a crew mate!

I was trying to be nice and used assumptions instead of bull sh*t .

Hahaha!! Thanks mate! I thought I was reading that between the lines ;)

I thought I would get a few more bites. Clearly I'm not as clever as I thought I was...

Sorry all, been busy with a Scout Camp.

The gentleman who owns the sword is one of the fathers at my Taekwondo class on Mondays and thus I don't have ready access to measure it.
I looked all over it for any signs of markings but there was none. He said it was badly rusted and he had to clean it up, not sure how aggressive he was but that may have removed some markings.

The handle is a good two adult hands long.

I'll print out this thread and show him next week when I see him. Might get some more info from him and post back.

It appears to have extra cord wrapped around the handle. If you pull this off you might find a more traditional handle finish below it. If you do you will see a pin that is used to hold the blade in place. If you push the pin out (it will be obvious which side is bigger) the handle can be removed, then you will be able to get a look at the makers marks on the blade (called the mei).

In high school, the metal work class/teacher would let students make " letter openers". Some " letter openers" were about that size and bigger

I'm wondering if it's a high school project some years back, might explain the rust by using lower grade metals