Maps - Nsw State Forests

swoffa

I've purchased a few NSW topo maps lately for some of the state forests I intend to explore and it seems that most of the forests spread across multiple maps - is there a better map option?

This is one that I purchased, you can see part of Hampton SF in the NW corner, so I'll need 3 more maps to cover the entire SF which is a bit cumbersome to use.

I'll have a GPS with topo maps with me in the field, but I like to have a paper version as well. (especially when planning a trip).

Edited by swoffa

What brand did you buy? Brands are limited but a different one might have different boundaries.

I buy the Vicmaps for obvious reasons but sometimes the "adventure maps" can be handy because they take a wider view. Limited or no topo data though.

Dunno what options you have for NSW?

What brand did you buy? Brands are limited but a different one might have different boundaries.

I buy the Vicmaps for obvious reasons but sometimes the "adventure maps" can be handy because they take a wider view. Limited or no topo data though.

Dunno what options you have for NSW?

I forgot to put the link...

This is the Hampton one I referred to: http://www.mud-maps.com/map-store/lpma-hampton-89304s/map-218499/preview/

it's the standard NSW topo map.

I figured the adventure/4WD maps wouldn't have the topo data, which isn't a lot of help when planning a hunting trip.

There are state forest books available, but I assume if they're one SF per page the level of detail wouldn't be great.

That is always a problem . You may have to buy two 1-100 000 scale Auslig maps .

As far as I can see the two maps that cover the Hampton SF are Oberon - 8830 and Katoomba - 8930

Auslig is the Federal mapping authority .

If you still want the detail of the 1 -25000 scale then you are forced to buy all the maps that cover the area in question .

The problem is that the 150 degree line that runs through Hampton SF is a joining place for all the map scales .

In the past I have cut maps up and joined them together and laminated it to make a full one piece map of an area .

Thanks mate.

It looks like Auslig was renamed to NATMAPS, and they're now out of production.

However they can be downloaded here and "hopefully" added to Google Earth -http://www.ga.gov.au/cedda/maps/1058

The maps in that link are 1 -250 000 scale much bigger area covered . You should still be able to buy a 1-100 000 scale maps of that area .

Contact a map shop or the Land and Property information in Bathurst . Someone will still be printing them .

Thanks mate, I'll see what I can find.

The Game council have downloadable maps of exclusion zones on their site . If you have a Garmin GPS you can also build a route in Google Earth and save the route that steers you around a certain area avoiding exclusion zones and forest boundaries as a KML file then convert the KML file to a file suitable to Garmin base camp and then load that into your GPS .

Babel file converter will convert KML to base camp files.

I see you're a Mac user too... GPS Babel is a godsend for people like us.

I'm fine with the digital side of things, between my handheld Garmins, iPhone and iPad I have the "in the field" navigation sorted, but I also like to have a hard copy when planning trips.

Currently I use Six Maps to get coords, and plug them in to Google Maps to then convert and save to my devices.

I was taking a screen shot of the kmz file and printing these. Some forests I would have five screen shots to cover the entire area with the level of detail I wanted. This was done through google maps but I have not hunted a state forest in nsw since the new system.