Binoculars

Hi all,

My friend has just bought a pair of Gerber Montana 10 x 42 binos for $210. I am thinking of purchasing the same pair as they are a good price and he says that they are crystal clear, plus they are water and fog proof.

My question is what do you have and what is your opinion of these binos? Should I buy the 10 x 42 or the 8 x 42? What is a good magnification to buy for hunting and general purpose use?

I don't want to spend anymore than this as I will feel like s@#t if I lose them while hunting.

Cheers

I have a pair of Gerber 7x50 Waterproof binoculars, with individual eyepiece focusing. I've had them for several years, and they are really very impressive optically - noticeably better than the Burris 8x40s I also own, though rather bulkier. I think they are great value for money.

Steiner 8x30mm Nighthunter XP. Outstanding optics, sharp, clear and excellent light transmission in low light. Excellent for looking into those dark places were game could be hiding.

post-14-1164679496.gif

Interesting that this topic has come up,as I am looking to get some new bino's.I have barska 8x42,but they are next to useless in low light conditions.After a phone call with another sight member,I am going to look at the Steiner range.

I'm using a pair of Swift Audubon 8 x 42. Everything proof, rubber armoured, roof prism with excellent, fully multicoated optics. Cost me about $400Au imported from the US. I compared them to several other binos in the $1000 range and found they were every bit as good optically, if not better.

It will depend on the terrain you're hunting in as to whether you'd be better with 8 or 10 times magnification. If you're in wide open country, then go for the 10x, but you'll find that they are much harder to keep the image steady than the 8x. I often use mine one handed when hunting, I don't think you'd be able to do that very well with 10x. If you hunt in the bush then go for the 8 or even 7 times.

I wear glasses when I shoot. I've found that I have 'just' enough eye relief with the Swifts at 19mm that I can use them without having to take off my specs. I would prefer a tad more...perhaps 20mm.

Ok if you want a really good bino in a mildly cheap price,go the STEINER PREDATORS

8X30 RUBBER ARMOURED,FOCUSED FOREVER....BLAH BLAH..CAPS LOK #$%^...

i note the posts above about Gerbers,i have a pair in 7 x 50 and while it was ok for a few Tassie fallow hunts, after using the Steiners they are relatively hopeless in those first and last light situations,i also have tasco 10x20(forget them) for first light instances too.

Preds are only US$ 270 and being German made and quality its an amazing price for them ...Rodfly and i watched five sambar at first light one morning and i swear that my Preds were as good as his Leica 8x 30s and those are way over the top in price too.

Almost any bino viewed through in bright light will convince you that they "arent too bad"...low light levels set the good ones apart from the also rans.

Here is some info and the price has gone down...i reckon i`m into another pair at that price.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/steiner-binocu...0-predator.html

Why buy budget bino's ?

Buy one pair that will last your lifetime and pass on to your son !

Swarovski !!!!!!!!!

we could all have said that but sometimes the budget dosent allow for the topliners,anyway the Zeiss (according to my Swara using mate) are better and def lighter,but then i have been told by some that FUJINON are better than both the S`s and the Z`s and def carry a super price too.

In the past year I have bought Leica's and 2X steiners to repalce my Nikons that got lost.

The Leica 8X30's are far and away the clearest heirloom quality- but the price and the hard eye cups are surpringly uncomfortable. Since I varmint in open territirory I end up lying on the binos all the time so I don't use the Leica's

I have the Steiner predator 10X26 which are pretty good and can be put in a pocket, good for travle etc easily. But the 8X30's predator or military/marine are better (I imported a pair for a friend) - the sports focus where you set once then do not have to focus in for your eyes is a great advantage for looking through into bush. The Nighthunter version would be even better in low light - for a higher price

If going again for my field pair I would buy the Steiner 8X30's in predator or military marine. Good tough - cheap for what you get (I believe they have economides of scale from supplying the US military through formal purchases and personal kit) - not as good as the Leica's but a fraction of the price

I strongly reccomend lookign at Ebay and the online stores there - I looked hard and they were cosnsitently the cheapest I found. And always ask for postage and isnurance - it ranges from US20 to US70 for the same Bino's. Sometimes you can also get freebies like bino harnesses included.