Knife Blanks From Circular Saw Blades

shortcut

My mate built himself a table for his plasma cutter, he downloaded heaps of knife blade shapes and can now cut them out automatically. He has been cutting out of old circular saw blades. The steel seems pretty good but we have only put an edge on one so far.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Are new circular saw blades likely to be a different steel? if so, better or worse?

Are steel cold saw blades going to be any different? We already knocked off all the old saw blades from work and am looking to try other blades, ta.

nope, unless you know what steel it is, and its been properly heat treated for that type of steel you will be just waisting your time. If you genuine about making knives use proper blade steel, look at 1084 or 1075 steel for beginning, its easy to heat treat and makes a dam fine blade. When i was into knife making i ordered all mine from the states from the NJ steel baron, very high quality steel, will get back into it one day i loved making knives.

I will add though use those old saw blades to practice with, how do you plan on shaping your knives ect?

this is the sort of knife sanding machine i used to run, most expensive part of it all are those wheels

a9xtub.jpg

Edited by pristine_koala

Old lumber mill bandsaw blades and the old circilar lumber mill saws are the go for cheap steel. The new saws use tipped blades to do the cutting and the rest of it is rubbish. Better off buying one of the cheaper steels from gameco.com.au and make a blade that will work for you instead of wasting your time. Old saws like youve got are good for making blanks if you like a shape and want to make more.

any saw blade over 18 inches in circumference will make decent knives, you just need to test your heat treating recipe to make sure you get it right. I have made hundreds using the same recipe as L6 and have had a bunch of them tested (they all came up between 59 and 61). The cold saw blades are shit, they are HSS and are near impossible to heat treat at home.

Edited by jindydiver

I made a skinning knife out of an old shovel years ago and it held an edge better than any knife I've ever used, then I lost it. (cut it out with an oxy and I think this might have heat treated the steel a bit)

never used saw blades before but I've heard they work. power hacksaw blades are also good apparently.

Edited by Joog