Butchering Gear

Kikka

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, Grant. I have a massive tub of mincing meat now too.

Just let me know when you are coming for the mince fest. I suggest about 20% fatty bacon or 10% pork fat to mince with it.

Grant.

Yep,but how much easier is a cow than a sambar

being that I have yet to see a sambar in the flesh, gonna go with a guess and compare a sambar with a goat ( feral/farmed) but both would be lean game animals, just means that your knife has to be legit sharp as the skin will sit tighter and harder. Cows are comparative easier given the carry more fiesh.

Goats are easy compared to a sambar.Its the hair that will blunten the knife,remember that they walk through blackberries like you or I going through water.

Once you get into the hide its not so bad,just thick and heavy

On 07/11/2015 at 9:42 AM, 264 said:

Kikka, tramotina do a 3 pack boner skinner and steal in a canvas knife roll. For around $70 . Started my kids of with them. Will do what you want.

Very handy ,I leave mine behind the seat.

Cheers Mick

Where did u get these at ?

I've done a few Fallow and Red since this. Still only the one Sambar though. Between my Buck and the boning knife I seem to be doing OK with them. Both hold an edge well and Fallow aren't much trouble skinning with my Buck. I actually picked up a box cutter for skinning Sambar, seems a few other hunters had resorted to that and it looks like a good idea from what I could see. Still can't believe how thick the hide on those buggers is.

probably how you skin too, 2 hand job if can lock the leg down use 1 hand to hold the skin up and away whilst you flay, and the right knife too can make a huge difference, using a curved skinning knife is way more ideal for flaying then a boning knife

Possibly, I hang and skin. Makes it easier to haul out without messing up the meat and also easier to hang if the skin is still on and protects the meat too, I reckon. Ye olde buck 119 is a good balance, you can skin easily with it once you are through the hide and removing legs, straps etc isn't hard.

s-l500.jpg

The old green river are good too.

10099-large-01.1478173649.jpg

BU119a.jpg

For cutting up if you don't have one I would recommend getting a steak knife, not the sort you use for eating with but a butchers steak knife for slicing steaks. I went years cutting steaks with boners, skinning and flaying knives since getting a proper steak knife I use it more than the others combined for cutting up.

On 20/07/2017 at 4:36 PM, 220 said:

For cutting up if you don't have one I would recommend getting a steak knife, not the sort you use for eating with but a butchers steak knife for slicing steaks. I went years cutting steaks with boners, skinning and flaying knives since getting a proper steak knife I use it more than the others combined for cutting up.

I always get a boner cutting up a nice rump or backstrap off a buffalo or cleanskin. ;)

In all seriousness though, what sort of blade is a steak knife? 

A quick search for "butchers steak knife" will turn up a heap of images.

Generally from a bit over 20cm up to around 35cm in length, fairly straight and heavy blade, I think they look like a miniature machete.