Boots

Well with the not so old Stoney Creek Rusa boots not looking like they would last another trip I had a good look around Canberra this morning for some quality boots for hunting. The young fella in the shop asked what I would be using them for and I explained to him that I would be using them for armed bush walks, he sort of like gave me a strange look ( I'm in one of those fancy yuppy outdoors shops here, the ones that the hairy armpit, no makeup type of trendy's go to) I explained to him that I wanted something with a Vibram sole on and must have good ankle support so as not to slip when carrying a dead critter out (another strange look from the young fella)

Anyway a nice looking pair of Scarpa Kinesis Tech (Italian Made) Gortex lined boots caught my eye and young fella says what size are you? Eleven I replied. "What's that in British or American size" he replied. "I wouldn't have a bloody clue, I'm in Australia" so he toddles of out the back (shaking his head) and comes back with a size 47. Friggen hell, talk about Bigfoot. Tried them on and they fitted just dandy.

Young fella then states that they are the last pair and are reduced from $479 to $299, bargain I said.

So after a quick scoot about the shop, finding that they are nice and comfy I bring out the hard earned and handing it over I said to him about how the dark Grey leather would go if I got a bit of blood on them...for some reason I get another strange look. Funny sales people here in Canberra.

Anyway I got my boots, at least I will look the part out there this season.

Whistler

Edited by Whistler
  • Like 2

C'mon whistler tell me you didn't feel like grabbing the ferret trying to serve you and tell him to lighten up a bit, and I agree if you want to stock boots that don't have Aus sizes learn the comparative sizes. Some people just need to relax a bit. I still remember stopping at a shop one day and this lovely lady serving me and my brother was very chatty and told us all about her little town and how nice it is. she then asked us what we were doing and my brother replied " searching a couple of local properties for a big stag to shoot" instantly the mood changed and there was not another work spoken she couldn't even look at us as she dropped the change in my hand.

cheers

I went to the local outdoor store once looking for machete. They had none (typical) & the pretty young girl asked what I wanted it for. I paused & thought "Well, just tell her!" so I said "For decapitating goats."

She looked at me blankly for a bit & said "Well, personally I use one of these...." & showed me a Gerber BackPaxe. Turned out she was a bow hunter. We had a good old chat & I left with the axe.

• Like 5

Kikka you walked into an anaconda store????? LOL

Your hunter cred just dropped down off the scale.

The only reason I'd go there would be to watch their faces when I tell them I'm a hunter.

• Like 1

Did that, it was funny. Where do you buy camp chairs and Tents, Barron? Rays? :D You can pick up some good gear on occasion. I got a two room tent (nicknamed the Taj Mahal) that withstood gale fore winds and torrential rain up at Omeo surprisingly well for quite cheap.

Haha, good one whistler!!!

Always good to create a bit of a situation...

Where I buy my boots the bloke knows what I'm doing, I try to tell him it's for work otherwise he wants to come hunting ...

• Like 1

No Anaconda, my clothing is mostly Moroka, older Ridgeline and Swandri here. Current Moroka boots are still doing OK, I had a pair have the side start to come away after a trip back home but they replaced them without a bother. They are good like that. The Moroka's replaced a pair of Scarpa's which I really loved but I think they were rotting off my feet in the end, the certainly weren't waterproof when they were laid to rest. You can get attached to comfy boots. I'd have bought Scarpas again if I could find them.

Now I think about it, I got Anaconda thermal leggings on sale last year. $7 each IIRC, then proceeded to get blood and sweat on them. The Wife says I look like Robin Hood, so I guess I'm as good looking as Sean Connery.

I must be totally out of fashion and a cheap skate. I buy most of my needs, boots, socks, odds and ends at Aussie Disposals. In the seventies I was told by a friend to buy the surplus boots, GP, Australian Army. Whatever they are made from, they lasted for so many years. Trapped all over Booligal, Hay, Strzelecki ranges, and further into northern NSW. From memory and this goes back a while I paid under $50.00.

Went back some 10 years later, still had army surplus boots, (different from previous) well under $100 (don't know exactly) will never buy anything else. Not much the store does not sell and no crazy prices, no fancy labels.

• Like 1