Binos 10X42, Which Ones?

Been reading heaps about deer and "walking less and looking more" etc... and i think it's time to get me some binoculars!

i'm after 10x42, and i've narrowed it down to the following list (but still open to other suggestions if my list is no good). I only get out a few times a year so I was thinking of only spending about $250, but on the other hand contemplating spending a bit more ($600 max) if people think there is a noticeable difference, so I've split it into 2 groups:

$250 group:

• Redfield Rebel 10x42
  • Leupold BX-1 Mckenzie 10x42

$600 group:

• Steiner cobra 10x42
  • Leupold BX-2 Cascades 10x42

I also saw the Vortex Diamondbacks for about $450.

What's peoples thoughts/1st hand experiences between the 5 listed? I know i need to go into a shop that has them and compare them side by side, but i'm struggling to find time at the moment...

In my opinion you should spend as much as you can afford even if it means getting a better quality second hand set. Leica trinovid, older swarovski and Zeiss come up often. If I remember correctly there were a set of vixen for sale here for $400? Fantastic value for money and good buying at that price. Other brands worth a mentioning are meopta the Zen Ray in either ED3 or 4 are really good value however you will have to buy them os as I don't know of anyone in Australia stocking them. Depending on how serious you are about hunting, optics are a investment rather than an expense which is what I see in my Swarovski EL range. As the term goes, buy once cry once!

Edited by kgi
  • Like 1

Add the Meopta Meopro to the $600 range as well. They are good and come with a 10 year warranty. They replaced mine 2 months ago with a brand new pair after I lost the focus knob and rubber eye cup (my fault) so their back up service is great, not only great glass.

Whistler

I rekon yours must sit in the bottom of the pack Matt, to have done '18 kilometers' and not have seen a Deer... Sounds like my friend from Japan, Sum Ting Wong.

rectify the problem, an I think you will enjoy more success.

WL

• Like 6

I've got the Diamondbacks, lifetime warranty can't go wrong.

Haven't used anything else so can not compare. I find them fine. I wonder tho what the HD ones are like

I have these as well and happy with them.

cheers

I rekon yours must sit in the bottom of the pack Matt, to have done '18 kilometers' and not have seen a Deer... Sounds like my friend from Japan, Sum Ting Wong.

rectify the problem, an I think you will enjoy more success.

WL

Lol, I saw 9 that day and none with the binos

I reckon if they get pointed out they be every where

thanks for the replies everyone. As much as i would like swarovski, i think the only swarovski the wifey will let me buy is jewellery!

Edited by Alf
  • Like 1

All I can say is that if you intend to do a lot of binocular work the better the optics the more you will enjoy it and the more you will see, if the binos aren't comfortable and a pleasure to use you won't stick at it as long and miss the action .

Go and try as many types as you can mate. What suit some, may not suit you

Yes this is true however unfortunately the only real test is in low light conditions and lining them all up in a shop is pretty much useless as low or poor light is the only true test for quality optics.

My suggestion is that the OP try and borrow or even go out with a couple of guys to see them in real life situations.

Yep, its definitely hard to compare in the shop.

The best way is if ur out with a mate, or a few mates and look them in the bush. But thats not usually feasible.

I would, but none of us have any so we are all looking to get some! After a few years of walking (stomping?!) around the bush scaring stuff away we think it's time to re-visit the way we do things and I think less walking more looking might be a good thing to try this year!