Honing Steels

Beno

I've had one or two knife snobs riducule me for using a steel from my missus kitchen knife kit. I have always achieved shaving sharp edges so thought these guys were just being twats.

What do you use and why? Is there a preferred field option to keep that edge while cutting meat from successful hunts?

nothing wrong with using a steel to touch up the sharpness of of the knife, though the main sharpening should be on a stone.

being that I use knifes everyday, I use the stone often using the steel only to maintain the edge not using the steel to make or sharpen knife

in the field I'd already have the knife sharp "obviously". a small medium rough steel would be my choice, enough bite to keep the edge but not too rough to eat the blade

Edited by ozrider81

Thanks gents,

I use a masterclass whetstone in 400/1000 grit to get the edge right and just the plain ol kitchen steel to form a nice edge. I just dont see the need to spend 80-100 bucks on a steel when i get good results from a cheepie.

For the scrub im looking at a lansky or buck pocket sharpener with a spyderco double stuff to get the edge back of needed.

Butcher 50 roos with the same knife. and only ever use a steel to keep them going.

My field knifes only ever get the steel, unless im using The havlon.

Ipch can correct me if im wrong. I dont think we have had to sharpen a knife, since they were sharpened in the first place.?????

Only ever get a run over the old steel. But it is a gooden. And old x 18 inches long.

If what you have works for you and gives you the result you want.

Tell em to bug out.

I've had one or two knife snobs riducule me for using a steel from my missus kitchen knife kit. I have always achieved shaving sharp edges so thought these guys were just being twats.

What do you use and why? Is there a preferred field option to keep that edge while cutting meat from successful hunts?

I agree, they are just being twats.

I've tried just about every sharpener I can get my hands on and found that diamond oval steels work best for me between stone sharpening.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiitek-Diamond-Sharpening-Sharpener-Professional/dp/B011NRQR####/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2C61AEMQBGWOY&keywords=diamond+stick+knife+sharpener&qid=1555598123&s=gateway&sprefix=diamond+stik+knife+%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-9

At home I use a 12" one with a light spray of cooking oil to lube it, while hunting I'll have a 6" in my pack and just dip it in water.