Hunting Torches

ted

Did a search, not much on the site in the last 6 years regarding spot lights/hunting torches etc. I am looking at getting one I can attach to my scope, of course will be LED, preferably good to at least 100yds in reasonable conditions (by good, can positively identify prey) and not too huge. Don't need all the "doodads" (about the trickiest thing would be a high and low setting but that is no high on the list, don't need strobing etc).

Am thinking of the Wolfeyes Seal, a little chunky but I can live with that, seems to be excellent quality and extremely good range if a tad on the expensive side. I don't know what else out there might be out there that may compare favourably and be cheaper (I know you only get what you pay for).

I am going so guess that if you halve the range that the "responsible" torch manufactures claim (and divide by 100 for the shonks) then you probably get close to the true usable range.

Any thoughts?

Some of the cheaper ones go all right, Budget of $150 should cover torch, mounts, two batteries and charger.

Love walking the animals up at night, especially rabbits and hares. Very relaxing.

Busting pigs is exciting as well as the smoke from the shot clears and then see the shot was good

Did a search, not much on the site in the last 6 years regarding spot lights/hunting torches etc. I am looking at getting one I can attach to my scope, of course will be LED, preferably good to at least 100yds in reasonable conditions (by good, can positively identify prey) and not too huge. Don't need all the "doodads" (about the trickiest thing would be a high and low setting but that is no high on the list, don't need strobing etc).

Am thinking of the Wolfeyes Seal, a little chunky but I can live with that, seems to be excellent quality and extremely good range if a tad on the expensive side. I don't know what else out there might be out there that may compare favourably and be cheaper (I know you only get what you pay for).

I am going so guess that if you halve the range that the "responsible" torch manufactures claim (and divide by 100 for the shonks) then you probably get close to the true usable range.

Any thoughts?

Well, Ted, there are lots of torches that do the job. I have a fair few in my collection and they are all good for different applications. The following is a list of what I have and what they are good for and capable of...

WolfEyes Sniper 260 is a small and compact torch with spot and spill light that is great for walking around the rabbit patch attached to my .22 Brno. 100m is about as far as I would comfortably shoot something with it, though.

https://wolfeyes.com.au/LED-torches-flashlights/sniper-led-torches/

WolfEyes SeaLion Hunter is a longer throw with a choice of two heads to attach. One is a tight focused bright spot through an aspheric lens for longer shots out to 150m, the other head has spot and spill that is a handy searching light with more spread. I used to run it on my .204 and thought it was pretty good.

I then read about the Solarforce M9 as having longer throw and bought one. It is a great torch that has spot and spill through a deep reflector and it was my 'go to' torch for the .204 on foxes for a season. Very reasonably priced at around $78.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/products/solarforce-m9-xm-l2-u2-1000-lumens-550-meters-throw-flashlight

After reading on www.candlepowerforums.com here-

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?392823-Olight-M2X-UT-Javelot-review-(1020lm-XM-L2-Dedomed-18650-2xCR123A-810m-throw!!!)

about the Olight range of torches and being impressed by the figures quoted and videos on youtube I bought an Olight M2X-UT Javelot with a battery extender tube and was AMAZED at the throw and brightness of it. Very impressive. 810 metres of throw, bright beam with spot and spill. It has relegated the Solarforce M9 to the glove box as a 'walk around and look for the downed fox over the fence torch'. They make an M3X now and it is even better, not by much but it will throw a little further. 1000m claimed...... It is still the king of throwers in compact torches by some margin.

I have a couple of others that were imported by a bloke on AHN (username=Foxfire) that he was selling to AHN members only. They are called Houndlights. They come with three diffent coloured emitters (red, white and green) that can be changed out in a minute or two. They feature a focusable beam, from tight spot to wide spread. I'v been mouting it above Olight M2X-UT on my .204 with the red emitter fitted for shy foxes. If I can't see them with the red for whatever reason I press the go button on the Olight and it lights them up hard. The Houndlight are Only available to AHN members exclusively and I'm pretty sure the latest shipment has now been sold out.

Bottom line is, if you want super-bright long throw the Olight M2x or M3X can't be beaten in that compact rifle-mountable size. This is where I got mine with a battery extender tube and 4 x 3400mAh batteries.

https://www.liteshop.com.au/content/olight-m2x-ut-javelot-compact-long-range-led-torch

The M3X-

https://www.liteshop.com.au/content/olight-m3xs-ut-javelot-ultra-throw-1km-range-led-torch

Have fun looking. They are really good thing to have and will revolutionize they way you spotlight once you have one......

Lots around Ted....depends on your budget too....Just put some posts up on cameronpatrols thread in the fox section about wolf eyes seal and lightforce pred 9x. Both are great lights, seal has a much better throw though....Franklinsnapper has an olight which he says is a great light, be worth having a look at.....dont know anything about them, but he shoots a shitload of foxes off his.

Thanks brinny. Happy to give guidance when I can....

The WolfEyes Seal are a great torch, my buddy Nathan has one and we have compared it side by side with the Olight M2X-UT Javelot and the Olight wins out. Not by much but it is slightly brighter and throws further with some surrounding spill light, whereas the Seal is a tight spot with minimal spill.

+1 on the solarforce gear.

I haven't compared their stuff with Olight though.

One thing to remember is that LED technology is moving so quickly that whatever you buy today, is probably going to be superseded in a month! So don't overthink your purchase because there are amazing torches available - but definitely do some research.

Questions to ask yourself:

- what range do I need/want?

- do I want spot or spread or both?

- rechargeable batteries or throw always (I'd recommend 18650 rechargeables)

- what colour(s) - white, red, green?

- is a modular design important to you (i.e., can you swap out heads, switches, bodies and/or other features)?

- what size torch?

- dedicated shooting torch or multi-use?

- and, of course, budget!!

On batteries, you need to budget these in if you go rechargeable as you'll need a few and you'll also need a recharger. I'd again recommend the 18650s but buy them from a reputable source because there are rip offs out there claiming massive outputs to suck people in...

On batteries, you need to budget these in if you go rechargeable as you'll need a few and you'll also need a recharger. I'd again recommend the 18650s but buy them from a reputable source because there are rip offs out there claiming massive outputs to suck people in...

Yep, for sure.

I have had WolfEyes batteries fail prematurely as well as other eBay specials. The best 18650 battery are the Panasonic 3400mAh jobs. Olight use these and sell them rebranded as Olight. Can't beat them.

Thanks guys, a lot of good advice, very comprehensive Frankinslapper. I'll check out the lights recommended and try & make up my mind, all going well I'll be heading to north western NSW mid October for a few days of hunting with my son so want a decent light for then.

I am hoping to spot a few feral cats, but pigs, foxes, rabbits and possibly fear goats are on the list. Range for spotting would be a few hundred meters/yards, probably no more than about 100 yards for shooting but who knows. If I have something capable of lighting up the game further out then more the better.

Regards,

Ted

I bought about 6 different lights from eBay looking for the *right* one to mount to my .22 for fox/rabbit hunting. When I found the right one, I went nuts and bought 10 of them. I don't know why. They were $25 each. They use rechargeable LiIon batteries, last a good 2 hours on a charge, and will easily light up something 150+m away. I have one mounted to my .22 with slim clamp mounts which gives a rock solid mount. Turning it on and looking through the scope even at night lights things up as though it's day up to ranges that exceed the useful range of my plinker.

If you PM me, I'd be happy to sell you a torch, 2 batteries, a quality charger, and the slim clamp I use to clamp the light to my 1" scope tube. I don't have 30mm clamps, but I do have a larger torch mount which I could sell you for an extra $15 if you need to mount it to a 30mm tube, as I don't think I'll ever use it.

I'd be happy to sell you that whole kit for $50 or $65 if you want the larger torch mount.

Yes, I'm an idiot and bought waaaay more kit than I need and now I need to get rid of it. Let me know if you're interested.

Hi Mrnaz,

I bought an Olight Javelot M3XS-UT, this was "way" more expensive than the torches you bought, very high quality torch, "supposed" to shine up to 1klm, I find it has a very impressive beam, but like most advertised illumination distances for torches, it is a pure fantasy that you can illuminate anything 1klm away, 300m sure, maybe further depending on what you are trying to illuminate and the atmospheric conditions where you are at the time.  Having said this, I for one, will not be trying to shoot something over 300m away at night (I have enough trouble hitting something at a couple of hundred metres or less during the day).

I went hunting with my son earlier this week (got back yesterday), as it turned out our night hunting produced nothing (not that we really spent that much time out at night), the torch performed well, just no game around where we were at the time I was using the torch.  A few small pigs turned up to a dam we were staking out at dusk, but they scarpered before we could take a bead on them, my son had a crack at one as they were trotting off, I thought he got it but no sign of it or any blood trail so I think his shot landed close enough to scare it.

Only thing I got on the trip was one nice bully goat (silly thing almost ran into me, I stalked it for a while then the mob turned around and ran our way, my son would have bagged one as well if his Howa didn't jam trying to load a round from the magazine into the chamber).  The property is regularly hunted (as it is hired out to hunters) so any game is very wary indeed.  They have had an excellent winter/spring and the property is very lush, lots of tall grass (and heaps of very tall thistle) so even seeing game is very difficult.  Did a lot of 4WDing, a lot of hiking/stacking, very little shooting.

Regards,

Ted

On 11 September 2016 at 8:19 PM, Burkey said:

I just bought a wolf eyes last week and it shits all over my led lenser I bloody love it the critters don't thou

Bought a dingo a week ago, craps all over my LED lensers. New lensers turn on too easy in your pack etc

Cheers Mick