Backpack hunting - tips, gear

How's it going, I'm about to embark on my backpack hunting career, been stalking Sambar for a few years now and I think it's time to go a bit harder. I'm slowly building my gear, right now I'm looking at pack-able sleeping bags and a pillow, has anyone found any decent solutions? I've got my eye on the Thermarest compressible pillow , it seems fairly decent. Cheap too. I've got a Hennessy Delux Asym hammock due any day now, I've yet to find a mattress solution though, keeping in mind I'll need to save as much bag space as possible for meat. So has anyone got any input, maybe tips, comments, decent gear or things that you have found useful on your ventures? Am keen to hear any backpack success stories too, I'm already pumped and keen to go but hearing some good stories would be sweet. I was also thinking about picking up a collapsible fishing rod for extended stays in the mountains, might save some bag space otherwise taken by food! Oh, another thing, what are everyone's thoughts on hiking poles, a pain to pack along or worth their weight?

Backpacking,it's not about the meat.3 season tent,a decent mat and forget the pillow,just takes up room.I just use mu clothes as a pillow in a pillow case.You can use the pillow case to cart meat or a head if you get one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, samburstalker said:

I packed 9 beers last backpack hunt, shared between 3, we all agreed they went down a treat after slogging around those hills. 

PLB would be another thing to look at getting and keeping in the bag 

A few tinnies may be in order :D although I'm tipping a small flask might be the go.

1 hour ago, Joe.358win said:

Backpacking,it's not about the meat.3 season tent,a decent mat and forget the pillow,just takes up room.I just use mu clothes as a pillow in a pillow case.You can use the pillow case to cart meat or a head if you get one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've already purchased my Hammock, set on the idea of being able to hang up where ever I want/need. Got any good mats I should check out? Or am I pretty safe just grabbing a decentish looking Thermarest or something along those lines? Good idea with the pillow, just saved me some dosh, cheers mate!

For a pillow I just use the sack my sleeping bag stuffs into and put either a towel or peice of clothing in it. I have a thermarest prolite 4 I find it very good. I've had it for years now though so there are probably better mats on the market now. Not sure about the hammock but I'm thinking your back might get cold having air underneath you, maybe look at the exped down mats... Expensive but the warmth factor might make it worth it. 

I know I'm late to comment, but I've hammock camped a lot over the last couple of years and I'd recommend getting a decent under quilt. I used sleeping pads for a while but found the under quilt far better and much more comfortable as it keeps your back from getting cold as mentioned above. One upside to the pad is if you can't find a decent spot to hang your hammock you can always sleep on the ground. 

Edited by Keith

Thought I'd add to this post. I'm looking to have a go at backpack hunting next year also. I've done a fair bit of hunting just never backpacking. I have all my hunting gear and vehicle based camping but need to build up supplies for hiking in camping. 

Had a look at packs tonight, does anyone have the caribee pulse 80l pack. The other I've liked was black wolf mountain ash 75l. Done a lot of searching on here and have a start to look for some mats and tents ect

1 hour ago, coat said:

Thought I'd add to this post. I'm looking to have a go at backpack hunting next year also. I've done a fair bit of hunting just never backpacking. I have all my hunting gear and vehicle based camping but need to build up supplies for hiking in camping. 

Had a look at packs tonight, does anyone have the caribee pulse 80l pack. The other I've liked was black wolf mountain ash 75l. Done a lot of searching on here and have a start to look for some mats and tents ect

Gday mate,

I have the Older stock Black Wolf MTN Ash, its a 85 LTR...   I think they Dropped it for the 75lt , I got it last year..

anyway I rekon its just enough for few days an extra things, i'd rekon to get as many ltr as ya can, ,especially for extended trips.

it could be that my Exped matress LW  is bit big, albeit comfy as hell... but taking up too much room in my pack.

definalty is a good thing though.  fully adjustable harness / straps

WL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whelanlad said:

Gday mate,

I have the Older stock Black Wolf MTN Ash, its a 85 LTR...   I think they Dropped it for the 75lt , I got it last year..

anyway I rekon its just enough for few days an extra things, i'd rekon to get as many ltr as ya can, ,especially for extended trips.

it could be that my Exped matress LW  is bit big, albeit comfy as hell... but taking up too much room in my pack.

definalty is a good thing though.  fully adjustable harness / straps

WL

Thanks wl. It's hard as I have not tried on the black wolf ones yet but leaning towards them. Will try before I buy though. Most of my hunting is day trips on the reds but as I want to get back into the sambar I have to travel so want to make the most of the time there and get into some good areas. I will still do camping at the 4x4 but want to be geared up to get in for a few nights. I'd be thinking 3 nights is what I'm aiming for.

46 minutes ago, samburstalker said:

Check out snowys outdoors online and try and price match 

Thanks. Will do. Starting from scratch with the hiking gear could add up I'm thinking.

1 minute ago, coat said:

Thanks wl. It's hard as I have not tried on the black wolf ones yet but leaning towards them. Will try before I buy though. Most of my hunting is day trips on the reds but as I want to get back into the sambar I have to travel so want to make the most of the time there and get into some good areas. I will still do camping at the 4x4 but want to be geared up to get in for a few nights. I'd be thinking 3 nights is what I'm aiming for.

Thanks. Will do. Starting from scratch with the hiking gear could add up I'm thinking.

Anaconda price beat by 10% on snowys, got my black wolf sierra bloody cheap as snowys had it on 60% off sale. I did the same with the black wolf tent 

do abit of home work and you can save a fair amount by price beating