New Gun Safe

After a New Gun Safe, something like a Buffalo River - for Min 5 or 7 guns.

Any suggestions where in WA I should go to buy one & roughly what to expect to pay for one?

I definitely don't want one with the number key pad lock - i want one with 2 key holes - one each top and bottom of the door. I've Seen a heap of these on Gumtree in Malaga by some locksmith named Floyde, but they all have the keypad locks on them, which i was told definitely not to get (for reasons I won't type publicly here).

Anything else I have to know about the WA rules / regs for gun safes before buying?. Separate internal locked compartment for bolt/s & magazine/s? & what about ammo storage? - can it be in a separate locked metal box in the bottom of the same gun safe, or must it be kept separate now? Things (laws) have probably changed a lot I am guessing since I bought my first 3 gun safe when the new gun safe rules first came out probably 20+ years back..

Want to get a couple more guns and the old safe will be too small.

TIA for any advice.

If you want to store 7 scoped rifles, I suggest you look at a 12 gun safe. They never hold as many as they say they do as they use un-scoped lever-actions to assess capacity.

A bit of extra room also means your not banging them around getting them in & out of the safe.

As for ammo storage - check with the WA registry. WA has a few firearms regs that are different from other states.

I thus far have just 4 guns:-

.22 CZ with scope
.22H Anschutz with scope
.243 Win with scope
12G Beretta S/S

Probably add another scoped rifle around .223
Maybe add something scoped around .270 maybe

If i won lotto, then a couple nice Beretta OU 12G skeet guns.... but not likely in this lifetime (Because my last big win on the US Lottoland Mega Millions was a whole $1.23c)

So in reality 3 scoped and one shotty at the moment and maybe at some point 2 more... so a total of say 6... meaning I need a 9 gun safe?

So do I go to gunsmiths in Perth to buy a safe or to locksmiths?

Any particular place anyone can recommend that has a good selection/range & fair price?

I am NOR but will travel..... used to buy at Gunmart up in Midland 30 odd years ago (Graham Harris Guns)... but not sure where to go these days?.

Cheers

Edited by Joe Kerr

Joe you dont need to lock up bolts and mags separately.  Just leave them in the gun.

Ammo can be stored in a seperate lockable compartment inside the safe but it needs a different key.

I got my safe 3 yrs ago from a locksmith in morley. Cant remember who. 5 gun safe but pretty full with 3 in it.

Gunmart still exists but all major gunshops will carry safes. I'd try claremont firearms, beaton firearms and shooters shed as well.

Good luck and let us know how you go. 

Thanks Dave - mucho appreciated!. I'm in Morley but the lock smiths down the road shut up shop / moved about 12 months ago - so not sure of it was him you got yours thru. Was thinking to go to the shot show at Claremont showgrounds on the weekend and have a look maybe to see whats available and what they sell for.
Haven't had a great deal of success with Beatons in the past, so might try Claremont or Shooters Shed or go back to Gunmart maybe.
I am a little bit old school with dealing with gun shops - i often go buy something small that I need & see how they treat me over small things, before i outlay larger sums for more expensive / big items.. I am often more interested in the service than the actual price.
I badly needed a small part for one of my rifles recently to get a serviceability certificate so it could be co licensed to my eldest son.
Almost every gun shop in Perth said to me "You can't get those parts any more, you should scrap the gun for parts(to us) for next to nothing, and BUY a new gun off us to replace it!" or words to that effect. Without the part they wouldn't issue a certificate of serviceability, so it couldn't be co licensed. I even wrote to Nioa trading the Aussie importing agents a couple times and they said same thing - "unavailable, buy a new gun off us/local dealer to replace it".
Then I shot an email off to the US Agent.. and what a different story - nothing was too difficult... said he was going to Germany in a couple months to the manufacturers factory and knew exactly what part I needed and would search the factory spare parts bins for me... to see if he could find one. Then he forwarded my email to the president of the company in Germany who within 2 weeks not only found me a new old stock one, but had it posted out and at my door!. Wouldn't even let me pay for it until he was 100% satisfied I had received it & it was the right one - then he only charged me what they sld them for a decade ago the last time they sold one ($50 including international postage).
Now that's service - something sadly our gun shops (and importers / agents) have forgotten the meaning of. the word!
Gun repaired and certificate of serviceability all sorted - no thanks to the WA Gun shops I contacted all over Perth!.
So those ones who couldn't be bothered with a small part? They are the ones I won't be buying the new guns / safes and ammo, reloading supplies etc from.
I am old school - i test out service departments of new and used car yards with the odd small part etc to see how they treat their customers AFTER they have sold them a car and pocketed the profits, BEFORE I go looking for a new / replacement vehicle... when i find one with good service for the small stuff, I feel a lot safer making major purchases from them.
The Yanks are a different culture to us downunder here - they demand good service and their gratuity's system of tips for good service ensures that most times you do get good service, but here - we just accept poor service... or vote with our feet & shop elsewhere.
So that's one reason i was keen to hear who shooters had had good results with when they buy gear, i.e. word of mouth referrals.
I've been to Shooters Shed once not so long back and they were great, so I'd happily go there again, likewise Gunmart / Graeme Harris guns in Midland.
Beaton's I've driven for more than an hour to find they didn't have the part they told me they had in stock - then told me they couldn't get one & then I go get it in 2 weeks direct from the company president!. My nearest gun shop Alexander & sons gave me the run around getting a certificate of serviceability on another gun recently (again trying to "force" me to buy a new gun off them)... took it to Gunmart the same day and got a certificate of service-ability the same day!
So I am finding out that gunsmiths my old man bought his first gun from more than 50 years ago who are local to me are a waste of my time and effort.
I've no experience with Claremont guns.... so can't comment on them.
It's tough finding a GOOD gun shop these days!. Things have changed for the worse unfortunately...... who goes and buys a new car coz you need a new headlight globe?
Yet gun shops are playing this game around certificates of serviceability every day - few of them actually have a gunsmith on staff who can repair a gun even - all most of them can do is sell you something new!. And they are trying in many cases to use the new laws requiring certificates of serviceability to pressure people into buying new.
I have become very skeptical of late, aboutgun shops and would prefer word of mouth referrals to rial and error driving all over Perth to get treated pretty shabbily in many cases. Often times by kids behind the counter who weren't even a shag in their dads bag when uI started shooting.
Getting old seems to be just making me cranky.

Joe seems you've got cranky down pat but I understand where you're coming from. 

I haven't had good service from Roys for ages.Gunmart is my local and they have a good collection of ammo and prodgies but their advice is a bit lacking. I haven't been to claremont firearms for ages but found their advice sound. Dont be fooled by the name as claremont firearms are out spearwood way.

Beatons recently gave me great service . Id been phoning gunmart and roys for about 6 months chasing blue dot powder. I gave up and tried a few others. Beaton said we have none in stock but checked the supplier on line and said they had some. They added it to an order so i got free shipping.  They phoned me when it was late and said they were trying to find out why. Phoned me with an answer and gave me a new delivery and then phoned when it arrived.  Best service I've had in ages.

The shot show is the go for looking for a safe. Everything in one spot.  Unfortunately I'll be out of town and will miss this one. Let us know how you go. 

Dave.