Again With The Binos

Look value for money do an internet search......

Brands like Steiner (I own 2 pairs), Alpen (1 pair), Zeiss (1 pair), Bushnell (2 scopes), Pentax (1 scope), Canon (3 video cams) all have very good value for money optics without going over board. Japanese made or designed optics are now more affordable than ever, even Zeiss make value for money binos for the American market........

Wiggum "listen and learn" and Gryphon "remember back those 30yrs" and you'll both come to an understanding of why these questions are asked over and over again.....

Merry Xmas

SSGA

Look value for money do an internet search......

Brands like Steiner (I own 2 pairs), Alpen (1 pair), Zeiss (1 pair), Bushnell (2 scopes), Pentax (1 scope), Canon (3 video cams) all have very good value for money optics without going over board. Japanese made or designed optics are now more affordable than ever, even Zeiss make value for money binos for the American market........

Wiggum "listen and learn" and Gryphon "remember back those 30yrs" and you'll both come to an understanding of why these questions are asked over and over again.....

Merry Xmas

SSGA

I'm always about listening and learning, thats why I ask so many questions, and I know a lot of people on the forum have been telling me that Steiner is the way to go. But before I spend my money I like to look around (the net and shops) and get as many opinions as possible. I really appreciated Gryphs help, as with everyones, on this topic but because I don't know anything about binos it is for this reason that I ask so many questions. If I come across makes and models no one has mentioned before I would like to hear peoples thoughts on them if they know anything about them.

It is like anything you buy, research is the key, and if you have given your opinion and the person is still asking questions, then either read what other people have written and still express your opinion on the topic or don't worry about it and don't say anything more. But it is not nice to give your opinion and then tell someone to stop asking the question no matter the reason.

Thats all I'm going to say on this point and thanks to everyone for their thoughts. From the looks of it I am going to save more and go for the Steiners.

Cheers

Thats all I'm going to say on this point and thanks to everyone for their thoughts. From the looks of it I am going to save more and go for the Steiners.

There are Steiners and Steiners. I hope you're looking at the Steiner NightHunter XP range. IMO they are the minimum standard for binos. I used to use Nikons CF-III 10x25mm, then a mate showed me his Steiner NightHunter 8x30mm. I had a pair within 6 months.

I was looking at a pair of Leica Geovid 10x42's with built in range finder!

Bloody nice!

This is the next item on my list I've decided to save for.

Accurate to within 1-2 meters out to about 1100 meters range.

Typically clear Leica optics, with phase coating and nitrogen filled etc.

List price: $3000. Less for cash of course.

A good pair of bino's is a life time investment if used properly and not abused.

Would I use them for hunting?

Bloody oath!

I curretly use a pair of waterproof Vixen Apex Pro's in 8x32. These are around my neck when I hunt deer and ducks.

I have the strap on so they sit above my scope when my rifle is resting across my body.

I have shot the last 10 deer of more like this and also I hunt ducks like this. Sure, it's probably not the best for my balance etc, but I get used to it and the added advantage of seeing the game coming with such detail is fantastic.

I used to have a cheap and nasty pair of Tasco 10x25's. They went in the drink once whilst duck hunting and then the glue holding the prisms together failed and I vowed to never get a crappy pair of bino's ever again.

This was a cheap $75 lesson that has paid off for all my hunting.

All my optics except for camera's are nitrogen filled and pretty well shock proof.

Watches included.

To me, there is no such thing as "Too good" for hunting. If an item can't stand up to normal or even extreme weather conditions, it isn't worth what-ever you paid for it.

Same philosophy with my cars.

It's not nice to get scratches and dents, but if they happen whilst doing what you love doing and it allows you to be there doing it, well, it's ok!

Ain't no point having a very capable vehicle if you are scared to get it scratched.

Ain't no point having a very capable vehicle if you are scared to get it scratched.

OOOOH YEAH! Lots want to play the game but when it comes to their vehicle...suddenly they are not that excited anymore.

Back to the bino`s a mate has those Leicas mentioned with range finder,all reports say that they are superb,they would want to be for the price..

Have a look at the Pentax DCF SP binoculars . I have had a pair for 18 months now and they are as good optically as my Leitz ( Leica ) Trinovids which are about 20 years old . They are lighter , much easier to use with glasses and a lot cheaper than current Leica . I also had a pair of Zeiss 10X40's until recently and to my eyes the Pentax are as good as these were and the weight advantage is even greater .

Mark

hey Wigs

don't forget to make sure you get a Bino Harness

Blackfoot designs and Uncle Mikes both have good ones -- they stop your Bino's from just swinging in the wind and stop the bino bruise if you have to run with them hanging around your neck