Overnight backpack hunting

Gday all ! , 

Ive always been interested in overnight backpack hunts for deer and am finally ready to get my final pieces to make it happen ! My question to anyone already out there doing it is what gear do you recommend? Especially when it comes to :

Tent.   Sleeping bag and backpack 

Thanks in advance for any help , cheers Pete ??

I've got the black wolf sierra 85l. It's a great bag, fits more beer, sleeping bag depends on the season, tent a two man, that's room for you and gear

check out "snowy's" online, great shop and anaconda beat snowy's on price by 10%, so some home work before hand can save a few dollars 

• Like 1

black wolf mtn ash 85ltr bag

vango soul 200 2 man tent 2.2kg

Kathmandu bag - find one that suits ur needs n budget..

exped 9 lw  mattress - must have mattress for sleeping. no sleep no good.

Edited by whelanlad

The Mac pac tents are very good the minaret for solo use and Olympus for two people. These are a four season tent. Served me well in Fiordland with no leaking. 

Sleeping bag I've gone with black stag 950 and a ultra light exped air mattress. The 750 black stag is also very good.

Back packs, I've tried a few. Being a scrawny run out little shit, I struggle to get a good waist fit and have had some horror trips with all the weight on my shoulders. Just purchased a osprey 65 litre that fits well and hoping it goes well on my next NZ trip.

Cooking gear, Jet boil, lightweight pan , spork etc.

GPS, EPIRB, leatherman piranta spare blades, Flint lighters, first aid, space blanket.

Personal hygiene  gear , pack towel, toilet paper/ Tissue pack, Wipes.

Food, dehydrated packs have come along way. Chocolates , dry fruit mixes.Soups, COFFEE!  Dried meat or shoot something.

Clothes set you have on , pack set with thermals. Bush coat worn and rain set carried. Beanie, gloves, cap

You will sort out what is a necessity, over the first couple of trips.

Im just sorting my set up for a trip to NZ, in April.

Cheers Mick

Thanks everyone for the respones , so much great information and advice so thankyou very much ! Ill be writing it all down.

My budget is nothing impressive but not wanting to buy something useless is my main worry ! 

11 hours ago, whelanlad said:

black wolf mtn ash 85ltr bag

vango soul 200 2 man tent 2.2kg

Kathmandu bag - find one that suits ur needs n budget..

exped 9 lw  mattress - must have mattress for sleeping. no sleep no good.

Ive watched all your youtube videos and articles on here and went and looked up the tent  they look pretty good and a great price, i also had a look at the denali squall hike tent from anaconda which is advertized as a four season tent on special for $165

9 hours ago, 264 said:

Back packs, I've tried a few. Being a scrawny run out little shit, I struggle to get a good waist fit and have had some horror trips with all the weight on my shoulders. Just purchased a osprey 65 litre that fits well and hoping it goes well on my next NZ trip.

Yeah ill have the same trouble with the bag ! Im a thin streak of pelican shit that cant put any weight on even after driving interstate haha 

Happy jack thanks for sharing the all the great info! Appreciate you taking the time. For water i was looking at a lifestraw bottle and just keep filling that up , would that be alright ? Or am i running the risk on relying on a nice stream 

The boys have it covered pretty much , I will add the pack has to fit well as the other fellas have said . Like Mick I've had a couple of trips with a pack that doesn't suit my waist and it really sucks when u have 15kg sitting and pulling your shoulders down and back for 3hrs !

what sort of country are u looking to hunt and camp in , that will decide the quality of the gear you need .

cheers

41 minutes ago, joefish said:

The boys have it covered pretty much , I will add the pack has to fit well as the other fellas have said . Like Mick I've had a couple of trips with a pack that doesn't suit my waist and it really sucks when u have 15kg sitting and pulling your shoulders down and back for 3hrs !

what sort of country are u looking to hunt and camp in , that will decide the quality of the gear you need .

cheers

Cheers joefish ! Yeah im lookin at exploring the highcountry like wonnangatta and so on !  I guess ill just go to anaconda and try some bags and make sure i can feel it wanting to sit on my waist rather then shoulders? 

8 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

A life straw bottle is a microbial filter within  a water bottle and it will work ok and clean any water 99.99 % . The draw back is that all your other water containers will have unclean water if filled from the bush and if you loose the one water bottle filter your in trouble.  The reason I suggest ex Army water bottles is they are very strong and take a beating .  I would be more  inclined to use a stand alone water filter that pumps the water up and fills whatever container you have on hand this way you could in an emergency pump up water from a shallow puddle after rain and be able to fill all your water containers with good water .  Also carry purification tablets as a back up just in case  .  Your best bet is a clear running stream but if you don't have any choice then get your water where you can as dehydration can kill you pretty darn quick .  Don't over drink either as that can be bad also . 

Yeah thats true i didnt think of it that way ! Ill make sure i look into that and have some purification tablets in my bag. Does anyone run a camelback bladder ? I had one in my gunslinger day pack but swapped it out for a bottle instead