Overnight backpack hunting

gday mate, heavy depends on you, around 20kg is plenty heavy enough for walking a long way.

you got to ask if your going to be walking quite a distance for the one night, or might you end up doin 3 nights somewhere in near future, Also are you up above water, or on the water flats, near by is enough to save you KGs in carrying in.. if the water is uncertain then you will be wanting to take 3-4kg of water for a few days + cooking..

One nighter you get away with having Bugger all food...  cos you will have a reserve tank at the Car full of food when you return.. a Couple nights an away from a quick retreat you will want to pack more decent food, so the KGs start adding up once you go beyond One nighters.

Tents...  research some google info, a lot of good stuff out there from people who have done it an give their opinion too....    I don't hike out in Snow /Blizzard conditions on purpose, I'm not normally near the snow level in winter and my Sleeping bag and 3 season Tent reflect this..   If it happens to piss down they are good for a fair while an fair amount of rain, if its torrential just walk home..

in aid of a 3 season Bag I use a Goretex paddy polin Bivvy bag / bag cover  whatever... gives an extra few degrees warmth inside..

I take a Blue tarp for under the tent if its a bit rough...  if up in snow grass or good cover the tarp can come from under an be used over as a 'fly'... just good to have

WL

Cheers for all the info wl ! 

Yeah look i reckon ill be aiming to hunt in the same sort of conditions, if i know its gunna rain cats and dogs ill stay close to the car if i stay to hunt. 

And as for snow i never hunt in it either as ive read the deer push down.... seems i may have been getting carried away with worrying about aspects that wont concern me ! 

For my food i have a little burner for the little propane cylinders(similar to a jetboil setup) which i intend to take a freeze dried meal 

I usually try to hunt near a water sauce purely due to seeing more sign of deer (personal opinion/experience) so i could probably save a couple ok kgs there ! 

And as for the the tarp thats a great idea 

Life straw_ everyone should carry one. Heres a few pics of my first need to use one. No water available so dug a hole on a soak / buff wallow in a creek. came back after a few km's and had some water. Didn't look good but tasted very good we had been a few hours with out water. 

Hard to get large quantities with the life straw so bought a Katadyn hydration pump. Bit of work but ideal for filling bladders. Heres some pics.....( google katadyn )

No we didn't get sick.

P7310124_zpslm9ntgds.jpgdig soak

P7310992_zpsxznrsvzh.jpgtasted great!

P8020196_zpseyarmhym.jpgRisky in the top end

Edited by 264
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

Yeah a big f'n  crock bite your head off .

Pretty safe high up on the escarpment in this spot ! Still cautious .............

Our Mountains arnt that big and its 2017 HJ,  not '63 wherr thry didnt know which way the weather came from let alone what it was guna do the next day.

With half a clue and Janes DD knowledge an to mention BOM or Google again to get a Foreward casting Graphic generated from Technology beyond my knowledge to predict what you may be in for .

Pkus whilst on Hill one almost Alot of the time nowdays will have Service to get a forecast via google..

Edited by whelanlad
  • Like 2

Ive been doing enough outdoors stuff over the years and prepare for the worst. Hope for the best and take it as it comes. Mostly works out well.

Technology has helped but they don't always get it right. Im glad to leave my phone behind!

Heres a pic of the minaret, put it up on receiving it and monsoons set in so it stayed up for 3 days, no leakage.

file_zps1a150970.jpg

file_zps128df940.jpg

and the Olympus in NZ  East coast up high, cold but no snow

P4250335_zpsfnziiiks.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 264 said:

Ive been doing enough outdoors stuff over the years and prepare for the worst. Hope for the best and take it as it comes. Mostly works out well.

Technology has helped but they don't always get it right. Im glad to leave my phone behind!

Heres a pic of the minaret, put it up on receiving it and monsoons set in so it stayed up for 3 days, no leakage.

file_zps1a150970.jpg

file_zps128df940.jpg

and the Olympus in NZ  East coast up high, cold but no snow

P4250335_zpsfnziiiks.jpg

That valley looks awesome 264 !