Overnight backpack hunting

It's the McKinley 75litre , hopefully big enough haha 

Thats the same pack I use.Carried it around NZ for a week,and done a couple of weekends with it,pack smart and it will all fit easily

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joe.358win said:

Thats the same pack I use.Carried it around NZ for a week,and done a couple of weekends with it,pack smart and it will all fit easily

That's awesome to here ! I think being that size will help me pack just the essentials 

I use a hike tent,but I am considering carrying a fly as well,as I think it will fit in the pack amd give me extra shelter to stand up in and cook under

1 hour ago, verminator said:

Anyone take spare clothes for at camp if you get a small fire going ? Or am I over thinking it 

Yeah mate, I do, another polar fleece jumper to keep DRY at all cost.  and an extra pair of thermal top n bottoms. and extra socks.
that will keep you warm enough next to a fire whilst drying out gear that may of got wet earlier in the day due to a rain shower or fall in a creek.. dry your other gear asap, preferably before dark..

going ultra light is another thing but for the 2-3-4 days you should get away with 23-24 kg 

so kind of depends if you are doing a mid winter break in the weather back pack for 2n 3 d,  where u might need bit of food to keep warm, as opposed to a springy high country 3 dayer where u can get away with two dozen muesili bars ,,,  :D  

Edited by whelanlad
  • Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, verminator said:

Yeah I'm thinking of getting a moroka 30 fly for added shelter 

look for basic blue tarp for $20 , same same,  we have discussed before,  how the 2 man tent is better for if shit weather encountered..  sideways rain etc no good for a fly..

tarp will roll up n tie onto your pack like the tent will..  no extra.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, samburstalker said:

Over thinking, that might add 2kg, just where your thermals and dry the rest or go commando around camp and hope some German back packers walk past 

Out of interest how many pairs of thermals do you take ? I've only got one pair at the moment , anaconda have %50 off. 

8 hours ago, whelanlad said:

look for basic blue tarp for $20 , same same,  we have discussed before,  how the 2 man tent is better for if shit weather encountered..  sideways rain etc no good for a fly..

tarp will roll up n tie onto your pack like the tent will..  no extra.

Cheers WL , yeah I've the two man tent but was thinking of the fly just as a bit of a veranda haha something to cook under and throw the bag of a night. The blue tarp sounds like it could be a goer for sure then ! 

A while oback I went to rob fickling from moroka 30 talk about back pack hunting and he said he leaves his gun outside the tent of a night because otherwise being so warm in the tent when you get out to hunt the scope with keep fogging up for a while , interested to hear what you fellas think and do with your gun ? 

Cheers again for all the help everyone ??

Fleece camo pants/top wearing and then x2 thermals pants top depending on weather, I also like throwing in a few pairs of socks in the bag and a change of clean clothes at the 4b when you get back 

get the Marino thermals if they got 50% off 

• Like 1

Yeah I got the proper merino ones but only one pair , starting to think I should've got two! 

My clothing so far is :

ridgline mallard pants and jacket 

moroka 30 Ls shirt 

ridgline polar fleece jumper 

stoney creek boots

moroka 30 gaiters 

I'm planning on swapping out the bulky ridgline jumper for a smaller light weight hunters element one 

Alrighty ! I think I'm all sorted but ain't out if I've missed something 

•black wolf Mantis UL2 tent 

• sea to summit trekIII sleeping bag 

• sea to summit comfort light insulate mat

• dry sack contains thermal top and pants and spare socks and jocks 

•rain jacket 

• snake bandage 

•plb 

•head torch

• binos 

• cooking pots that have gas canister and fork and knife inside 

• first aid kit with all sorts of pieces 

• fire kit with 3 lighters wrapped in elec tape as lightweight mentioned and also some bike tube 

•purification tablets and life straw (bit soft I know) 

• clean kit with tp and wet wipes 

•knife 

• tool kit includes cable ties , string and Allen key and torx bit to suit scope and stock bolts 

WEIGHT: 11kg without food or water so I'm guessing 16kg with that thrown in 

Gun:  3.7kg empty 

gunna grab some good socks that dry quick and I think that's it for now , cheers for all the on going help fellas ?? Muchly appreciated 

IMG_0657.JPG

• Like 4